U2 - The Fourth Masterpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Various polls on Interference throughout the years, including one that I've just conducted (Albums You Meet In U2 Heaven), have nearly always determined that U2's triumvirate of masterpiece albums seems to be Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree & The Unforgettable Fire.

Now, let's determine the correct ranking for the rest of the band's catalog. Officially.

Simply post the next three greatest studio albums that you feel U2 has delivered, in order of quality. The album that attains 50% of the ranked-choice voting will be declared the band's fourth masterpiece.

(For those that don't know, ranked-choice voting is where we'll count all of the first place votes to begin with. If no album exceeded fifty percent of the first place votes, then we eliminate the lowest vote getting album for first place and count those user's second place votes and so-forth. Eventually, one album will have to be the remaining #1 pick for a majority of voters.)

Passengers is eligible along with the other nine (Boy through No Line On The Horizon).

see I see PoP as a underrated masterpiece................the silent undiscussed type.

the type of album that people sit on....
...................to me U2 tore their skin off in that album

with Achtung, they were smoking cigarettes through their ears. :up:

No, they've written 5.

Achtung Baby
Joshua Tree
Zooropa
Pop
Unforgettable Fire

Come at me.

Yeah id call those masterpieces maybe but POP and TUF for me arent on the same level as the other three

that order youve got there is what my top 5 albums are in order

I love listmaking, so for this reason, I like this thread. But I don't like the fact that simply because it's "the fourth most popular album" also makes it a masterpiece. It doesn't work like that. We all know it will be Pop anyway. Which isn't a masterpiece at all, in my opinion (though Discothèque ranks amongst the greatest things they've ever done, and Popmart was incredible, just so you know I'm not a Pop-hater). I'll rank my favourite U2 albums from best to worst anyway though, as I said, I like lists. To add to the masterpiece/not masterpiece discussion though, I'll divide them into two categories, so you can use my #3, #5 and #6 as my vote.

Amazing, incredible, beautiful, great, fantastic, genius:
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Zooropa
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. All That You Can't Leave Behind
Amazing, incredible, beautiful, great, fantastic, genius, BUT:
7. Pop
8. Passengers
9. Boy
10. War
11. October
12. Rattle and Hum
13. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

My favorite is HTDAAB, but I think most critics would consider ATYCLB the next album on that list. War is probably right in there too.

My favorite is HTDAAB, but I think most critics would consider ATYCLB the next album on that list. War is probably right in there too.

HTDAAB is underrated here.

Well, not underrated, just gets pushed aside because of all of the love the unloved albums get.

I agree though, ATYCLB according to the critics is usually third in line behind TJT and AB.

Back
Top Bottom