U2 songs your mother will like.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevgreg

Rock n' Roll Doggie
No, this topic is actually a serious one, haha. Let me explain. My own mother has listened to a variety of music as long as I can remember. Enough so to the point that I've thought about burning a CD for her of various bands that I like and including some songs she can listen to as well (or at least songs I can see her liking anyway). This is something my sisters have done for her in the past, and obviously, I'd like to include a few from U2 as a result.

Now she listens to a lot of stuff, but I actually can't help of only thinking about easy listening stuff when it comes to her. Perhaps this is because the CDs my sisters have made her in the past consisted mostly of stuff like that! My mom's in her late 50's, so her tastes actually range from anything pop/rock since the 1950's to the major vocalists of today. The Beatles, Elvis, Blondie, Hall & Oates, Celine Dion, you name it. But even then, I'm not sure if I want to just include something like In a Little While and Your Blue Room, for example. She actually surprises me every so often by liking a song that comes out of left field (for example, a Kanye West song), but I don't think she's going to get into anything like, let's say, The Fly or Bullet the Blue Sky. Despite that, I think she'd be open to just about anything.

So that brings me to my question... what U2 songs would you put on a CD to your own mother, and any specific reason why? I look forward to seeing some suggestions here!

My mom liked The Hands that built America and Electrical Storm

that being said she also saw It Might Get Loud and loved it

My mum is only 46 but she goes for the more cheesy pop boy bands like Westlife or Take That. Having said that she does like a lot of U2's stuff anyway but I think that's mainly down to fancying Bono :wink:

My mom likes U2, but she only knows one song - With or Without You. She may like Beautiful Day, but I have no clue. My dad's the much larger U2 fan.

Her three favorite tracks are Mofo, The Fly and Numb. She also listens to Original Soundtracks on pretty much a weekly basis. My mom really digs the experimental, self-aware phase of U2's career.
Just kidding, numbnuts! She likes all the radio hits - BD, WOWY, Mysterious Ways etc etc.

My mom's in her late 50's, so her tastes actually range from anything pop/rock since the 1950's to the major vocalists of today. The Beatles, Elvis, Blondie, Hall & Oates, Celine Dion, you name it. But even then, I'm not sure if I want to just include something like In a Little While and Your Blue Room, for example. She actually surprises me every so often by liking a song that comes out of left field (for example, a Kanye West song), but I don't think she's going to get into anything like, let's say, The Fly or Bullet the Blue Sky. Despite that, I think she'd be open to just about anything.
This sounds like my mum also. And yes, she does occasionally like Hip-Hop. She love reggae so I suppose because the boundary between Hip Hop and this genre has blurred over the years some tracks hold an appeal for her. She hate songs nowadays with inane lyrics so because the cleverer lyrics are coming from the likes of Kanye, Eminem and T.Pain it maybe another reason why she likes this sort of music. She is a big fan of litterature and poetry and I remember her saying in the 90's that she thought the rap music of the time was clever in the way it resembled poetry.

She likes singers with an older sound to their music such as Amy Winehouse and Duffy. She also likes Cee-Lo.

Songs my mum likes:
One (one of her favourite songs of all time)
WOWY
SIAMYCGOO
SYCMIOYO
Elevation
Electrical Storm (she bought the single)
Magnificent and she doesn't mind The Sweetest Thing and songs like ISHFWILF and WTSHNN. She liked HTDAAB but other than that she is not a fan. I had to discover U2 on my own accord. She hates AB, POP and pretty much anything they did in the 90's when I was getting into them. She hates HMTMKMKM. She hates Gloria. She doesn't mind Miss Sarajevo.

She thinks Bono looks better now with short hair. She said the other night that short hair suits him better than long hair.

Her three favorite tracks are Mofo, The Fly and Numb. She also listens to Original Soundtracks on pretty much a weekly basis. My mom really digs the experimental, self-aware phase of U2's career.
:lol:
Seriously, though, I'd recommend the obvious '00s and '80s hits, along with Crazy Tonight, Sweetest Thing, One, Stay (Faraway, So Close!), and maybe Mysterious Ways. Nothing too weird, but some great songs.

ATYCLB is easily the most Mom-appealing album in their oeuvre. It's not even close.

Beautiful Day, Stuck, In A Little While, etc.

"These songs are not rebel songs...these songs are MOM SONGS!"

My mom is in her 60s and she likes a bit of U2. These are the tracks I would put on a mix for her:

Streets
With Or Without You
Still Haven't Found
Stay
In A Little While
Stuck In A Moment
One
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
Staring At The Sun
Pride
Magnificent

My mom loves Until The End of the World. She thinks its their hottest song and swoons over Bono's performance of it on Zoo TV. She also thinks the Sweetest Thing video is one of the most adorable things she's seen.

My mom only really likes Joshua Tree-ish stuff, and some from Unforgettable Fire. She detests Boy, October, and War, and everything recent. Her loss...

Based on what she likes, I'd say starting with the obvious and moving to the less obvious,

WOWY, Streets, ISHWILF, Pride, Desire
Rise Up, God Part II, Mysterious Ways, When Love Comes To Town, Angel Of Harlem
Mothers of the Disappeared, Deep In The Heart, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Satellite Of Love, Slow Dancing, Window In The Skies, Spanish Eyes, Dancing Barefoot
Heartbreak Hotel, Salome, Bad

When I was in high school, I worked in a little craft shop and my boss said that I could bring in some CDs to play in the store as long as they were appropriate. So I burned a U2 Gift Shop mix that wasn't too rowdy or too depressing and would hopefully appeal to most people who came in. It might be a good mix for moms.

Sweetest Thing
Flower Child
All I Want Is You
City of Blinding Lights
In God's Country
Window in the Skies
North and South of the River
Beach Sequence
Miss Sarajevo
Bass Trap
Wild Honey
Stay
One Step Closer
In a Little While
Angel of Harlem
Running to Stand Still
Stuck in a Moment (Acoustic)

Sweetest Thing (original, not the single)
In a Little While (dunno why older chicks always dig that song)
Man and a Woman
Grace

WOWY
Streets
One
Still Haven't Found
Pride
All I Want Is You
Heartland
Angel Of harlem
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Sweetest Thing