U2 songs you hated but now like or even love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
Mine: Stand Up Comedy

I couldn't stand this song when NLOTH first hit, and that didn't change one bit throughout the entire 360 Tour. But the other day I listened to it again, and bam, I realized this really isn't THAT bad of a song! Sure it could be better but nonetheless my feelings toward it have changed. How the heck does this happen? I've been listening to a lot of other music this year, especially pop, which is like candy to me. You know a lot of it is bad but there's just something about it that gets you and you can't help but like it. Maybe that's rubbed off and influenced my newfound feelings for a song like this one (it certainly wouldn't be out of place on a more pop-oriented record, which of course No Line isn't). Anyway I think this will be one of those songs in U2's catalog that we look back on someday, and realize there's actually something to it, and actually kinda cool. There's some sweet guitar work by Edge, especially his slide solo toward the end, plus you hear the sound that became the Vertigo "siren" on 360. Adam and Larry are kicking ass as they were on most of No Line, and indeed while Bono's lyrics leave much to be desired it's got the line "Love is evolution's very best day." What a great lyric, IMHO, though you have to listen closely for it. Hopefully they'll give this one a go live someday.

Anyway, going back to my subject title, have there been any U2 songs that you hated upon first listen, and kept hating for months or even years? And then one day you just happen to listen to it, keep listening, and all of sudden realize, that hey, the song really isn't all that bad, and you actually begin to like it! Perhaps it was just the fact that the tune felt so out of place or inferior to the surrounding tracks on its respective album, and when you hear it on its own it's actually better than you thought.

Pretty much all of ATYCLB is that way for me. I'm not an enormous fan, but it's definitely grown on me. It used to be my least favorite U2 album, and now I can certainly at least tolerate it.

Also, I used to not be a big fan of Miami. Then I listened to what it can become live.

Like a lot of people here, I used to skip The Playboy Mansion every time. But recently, I've been enjoying it a lot more. I think it just took the right mood and environment to make me pay attention to it a bit more, ie lounging in the summer sun with a cold beer. The song just sort of clicked with me and made me appreciate not just the song, but the beautiful weather and relaxed moment.

Is it a fantastic song? Probably not by a long shot, but that guitar just oozes 'summer' to me, and the fact that I can enjoy it a bit more than I used to is something.

Then again, the guitar was probably never the real problem with this song...

I think I've mentioned it before around here, but when I went to a Popmart show and saw the giant lemon, I thought, "oh gawd, I hope they don't play THAT crap song."

Obviously, I was young and stupid, and have since learned the error of my ways. Of course, they didn't play Lemon, just the remix before the encore, but now I'd love to hear Lemon live. Sigh.

I also hated Sweetest Thing when it was released in '98. Now I kinda dig it.

I used to not be that crazy about Love Comes Tumbling. Thought it was a bit over-rated around here compared to The Three Sunrises and a lot of other UF era stuff.

Now it's one of my top tracks from the UF era.

Babyface and The Playboy Mansion. :up:

Mine: Stand Up Comedy

... it's got the line "Love is evolution's very best day." What a great lyric, IMHO, though you have to listen closely for it. Hopefully they'll give this one a go live someday.

I've been saying this since the album came out! :wink: :up:

I wouldn't say I "hated" it, but Wake Up Dead Man did a really big turn around on me sometime a few years ago.

Gone.

The first time I watched Elevation Boston (for about 10 years ago) I didn't ''get'' the song. Now I just wonder how I couldn't recognize the greatness.

Yahweh was like that for me... I really didn't get it when I first heard it on the album. Then when I heard them do it live, and Edge hit those vocals in the end... I was sold.

I used to really hate Yellow. Now I think it's their best song of all time. :)wink:)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

*GASP!*

I used to couldn't stand that song, hated it. But then I got the pleasure of hearing it live and it was like a revolution. Hearing a whole stadium of people sing the lyrics while Bono paused was something quite amazing. I hope that I can get that experience once more.

Stuck in A Moment is another one.

*GASP!*

I used to couldn't stand that song, hated it. But then I got the pleasure of hearing it live and it was like a revolution. Hearing a whole stadium of people sing the lyrics while Bono paused was something quite amazing. I hope that I can get that experience once more.

I can relate. Seeing it live during my first GA show back in 2009 gave me a new perspective/appreciation for it too!

One.

Never saw the fuss, during Vertigo tour the live performances were shit, so I pretty much hated the song. And how everyone I talked to, non fan, claimed it was U2's best song. Yeah. And the MJB incident.

But when I saw it live on 360, it got better. Now I can appreciate the studio version as well, I quite like the song.

*GASP!*

I feel similarly. I never was a huge fan of that song (though I never hated it), but singing along to it with 65,000 people in Chicago was just ethereal. I love 360 Tour live versions of it.

with or without you. out of the first three tracks on jt it was easily my least favourite and couldn't get the hype, kinda like omg big deal it's slow so what or something. then one day i was driving home...from work i think. had the classic rock station on and it came on, and it just clicked. by the time it got to the ooooooh part i just got it. it's not my top five songs and i still think it's lost its lustre live (but not as bad as ishfwilf) but the studio version? it's great.

*GASP!*

Same here. The song used to be so overrated to me and so boring, but hearing live versions just made it click.

Zoo Station...... I thought U2 got crazy and turned into big crap...... and then a few days later I started to believe that it was the best album ever made..... :love:

I didn't care much for the following for the first couple years, but love them now:

Surrender
Trip Through Your Wires
Silver and Gold
Salome - I like it better, but it still feels unfinished - I "get" where they were trying to go now
Some Days Are Better Than Others - was the only track I didn't like off Zooropa, now I appreciate it for its whimsical left turn and absolutely LOVE the production and sound
The Playboy Mansion - was the only track off Pop I didn't dig, but now I dig so much

Still a lot of tracks from post-2000 U2 I haven't come around on... ;)

I felt that sensation of sudden realization of the greatness of Pop some years ago. Yeah I've been hating Pop since it came out in 97. Then, after years and years, I think during the huge 5 years gap between Bomb and No Line, I had the time to realize how big that record was. Songs like If God Will Send His Angels, Gone or Wake Up Dead Man have grown tremendously on me.
More recently, I've discovered an unexpected love for a couple of songs from No Line On The Horizon that I kinda left aside since the record came out, I'm talking about Fez and Cedars, fucking amazing songs.
And now that you told me, I'm listening to Stand Up Comedy and starting to enjoy it.

I hope this never happens with Vertigo and ATYCLB, there are some tracks there that I honestly cannot stand.

I hope this never happens with Vertigo and ATYCLB, there are some tracks there that I honestly cannot stand.

you actively hope you won't begin to enjoy U2 songs you currently dislike? Even though you've done so in the past?

Why?

you actively hope you won't begin to enjoy U2 songs you currently dislike? Even though you've done so in the past?

Why?

Just because I currently strongly dislike them.
I'm not excluding to change my mind soon or later, but you know, it's like I don't like the idea to like things I don't like.

I could have said it clearer, I know

Back
Top Bottom