U2 songs re-discovered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So... I have a U2 trubute band, I'm the drummer, and we had good times, then a long hiatus, and last year we got back together.
We didn't wanna go an play in pubs or stuff like that, it's just too demanding. But we started to rehearse and eventually play the albums for a few guests/friends at the rehearsing house.
First BOY, then OCTOBER, and now we're going double, with both WAR and TUF.

Anyway, hearing the WAR songs, I got to RED LIGHT. I used to hate it. Now I REALLY like it... it's a party! I'm starting to imagine them playing it in tour. It would be great, adding a trumpetist and all.

U2-Red Light (Lyrics) - YouTube

U2 needs to party more, and the next tour being indoors, it would be a great addition. I can totally see a dance version for this, too.

Are there songs that you've come to re-discover ?

Honorable mention to THE REFUGEE, also a party song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFdoogwXB3s:love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptfsoNWIVE

Man, I love this song. So much passion and energy from the band, and it's maybe as American as the boys have ever sounded. This or Room at the Heartbreak Hotel. "Ok Edge, play the blues" always gives me the chills and overall this song is always sort of a sleeper hit with me, and it can sneak way up in the charts of my all time favorite U2 songs.

It's just raw, so good.

I've rediscovered massive chunks of the band's discography ever since Invisible came out, since I've practically not listened to any U2 for months, maybe longer.

Red Light, however, has not and will not feature in this reappreciation. I've always been a (mild) champion of The Refugee here.

Goddamn how about Dancing Barefoot everybody.

And Boomerang II. I raved about it earlier in another thread but that's a fucking fine song that we should talk about lots and lots. Lost classic.

Exit would be epic, too bad it won't happen though. That song was a beast live.

Dancing Barefoot is epic. I'm embarrassed to say for years I didn't know it was a cover, probably because the sound of that song fits in so well with the other b-sides of that era, and amazingly it does lyrically as well (probably b/c Bono really sells the vocal performance). Or perhaps on some level I knew it was a cover, but the song is just so U2 that I must have been in general denial about who wrote it.

And that outro..."Oh God I feel for you..." :drool:

All these song are great (let's not forget Love Comes Tumbling), as are most of the JT-era b-sides...Spanish eyes is one of my favourites, b-side or not. Luminous Times would be beautiful for just the title alone, but the song lives up to its name. Walk to the Water...Deep in the Heart. Silver & Gold. I even love Beautiful Ghost. Amazing stuff. Though I'll concede a lot of these songs probably aren't appropriate for a tribute band.

I will say I was somewhat disappointed with the awful Wave of Sorrow "remake" (Disappearing Act is better). And I can't say I'm much of a Sweetest Thing fan.

OK, I remember reading something a while back that claimed Bono was the one who played the solo in Dancing Barefoot. I've no idea what the source was though, whether or not it was legit. Can anyone corroborate or is my memory playing tricks on me? He had become fairly decent on guitar around that period - there are some Lovetown bootlegs where he quite prominently plays some decent guitar on songs like AIWIY and All Along the Watchtower. So it's plausible.

And Vlaco, you have no idea how happy I'd be if U2 brought back Exit in concert. One of their best live songs.

I have really been listening to alot of U2 since OL has been released. The following songs have been replayed on shuffle:

Promenade
ASOH
Lady With The Spinning Head
ISS
Electric Co.
Three Sunrises
Heartland - Man I would love to hear this song played live

:up: To Vlaco on seeing Exit again

I too have been listening to a lot of U2 since Ordinary Love- almost exclusively, in fact- and I've fallen in love either again or for the first time with these songs:

Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Slug
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Dancing Barefoot
Love Comes Tumbling
The Playboy Mansion
Babyface

And most of all, Love Rescue Me. This song I used to skip most of the time is now my favorite track off the album.

I love the journalistic quality of Stranger in a Strange Land.

Hawkmoon 269. Bono and Ali forever!

Disappearing Act should have been on NLOTH

Goddamn how about Dancing Barefoot everybody.

And Boomerang II. I raved about it earlier in another thread but that's a fucking fine song that we should talk about lots and lots. Lost classic.

agree, agree, agree. I love The Refugee, Dancing Barefoot and Boomerang 2 (one of the best TUF era songs).

I never hear any love here for Unchained Melody, Bono's voice has rarely sounded better.

I love the journalistic quality of Stranger in a Strange Land.

Hawkmoon 269. Bono and Ali forever!

Disappearing Act should have been on NLOTH

I love Disappearing Act, Yoshimo Blossom too. Though Oh Berlin is by far my favourite of all the "new" old songs that came with the remastered albums.

I've rediscovered massive chunks of the band's discography ever since Invisible came out, since I've practically not listened to any U2 for months, maybe longer.

Funny how new U2 music has this way of making you want more, sending you digging through decades of reissues and B-sides, along with simply putting on the classic favorites and listening straight through.

I know it's been discussed in some detail as of late, but I am really liking the idea of "custom" U2 albums, and am def going to dig around and do this for myself. :up:

Exit would be epic, too bad it won't happen though. That song was a beast live.
:drool: The R&H film version is truly breathtaking. I'd love to see it done like that again. In fact, that's my favorite version of that song (as opposed to the album cut). :up:

I have really been listening to alot of U2 since OL has been released. The following songs have been replayed on shuffle:

Promenade
ASOH
Lady With The Spinning Head
ISS
Electric Co.
Three Sunrises
Heartland - Man I would love to hear this song played live

:up: To Vlaco on seeing Exit again

The 'Extended' version of Lady from the Best Of is hands-down one of my all-time favorites. :heart::heart:

And Heartland. Oh how I wish they'd dust that off and pull it out for shows. That's def one of my favorite R&H moments. It's so American, yet so U2 all at the same time. Utterly brilliant.

I've always been a big supporter of Red Light/Surrender...I knew from the first time I listened to them that they were going for a Taxi Driver vibe and really dug the sound, but I could see how it could confuse a lot of people.

I love Disappearing Act, Yoshimo Blossom too. Though Oh Berlin is by far my favourite of all the "new" old songs that came with the remastered albums.

:up: Oh Berlin is magic. I love Berlin and I love Rilke, Bono reciting Rilke in the last verse of Oh Berlin gives me goosebumps.

Been digging Red Light for the last couple of year...I know a lot of people loathe it, but it's got a killer rhythm section and I love the yearning in Bono's voice, accented by the Coconuts...the trumpet is out of place, but it's really not 'that' terrible...:ohmy:

Unchained Melody and the Heartbreak Hotel are some of the greatest vocals Bono has ever put down... totally overlooked.

Levitate.

I liked it fine enough when I first heard it, good enough for a b-side but not album material etc. But now I feel this is one of the best U2 songs of the decade. I love the production; there are a lot subtle elements which you only catch with a good pair of cans. And Bono's vocals fit perfectly. Great, great song which feels genuinely uplifting. They couldn't have named this one better. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom