U2 sights in Dublin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
I am visiting Dublin a few days and would love to visit Hanover Quay, the U2 Wall, and any other significant U2 sights! I have read some of the guides on @U2 and other online sites, but many appear to be at least several years old and possibly out of date. Has anyone visited any of the U2 sights in Dublin in the last year? What was your favorite and what do you think is worth visiting?

I was in Dublin in September of last year - I went to Windmill Lane (was underwhelmed, frankly - just a bunch of graffiti), Hanover Quay (no one was around, but it was cool, glad I made it down there), and had dinner at the restaurant in The Clarence. It was delicious.

If you're going down to Hanover Quay, you might as well swing by the old Windmill Lane location, because it's on the way. (If you're walking, which I was.)

Yes, that's definitely a must see for anyone interested in Irish history, with or without (HAR HAR) the slight U2 connection.

I went there as well, but didn't even consider it a "U2 thing" I did. I mean, you could drink at every pub in the city and are likely to correctly assume that one of them probably drank there once.

I mean, you could drink at every pub in the city and are likely to correctly assume that one of them probably drank there once.

That's what I did! :D

I just got back from Dublin, was there last week as part of my 3-week holiday in Ireland. I can certainly recommend Kilmainham Goal as that was very impressive. If you're into those things, then Hanover Quay is possible, but don't expect to see of U2 much over there.
While in the city, take a picture of the Bonavox Hearing Aids shop. As evidence that even back in the '70s, when Bono nicked the name he couldn't be bothered with the spelling. :)
Have a drink in the Octagon Bar of The Clarence hotel. No, the drink won't be served by Bono or The Edge, but it is a nice place. Take a peek in the Hard Rock Cafe (in Temple Bar) to see a Trabant hanging from the ceiling.

03_Blue_Light2.jpg

I visited Dublin today and ended up going first of all to Hanover Quay and the old Windmill Lane studio. Would definitely recommend Hanover as there was U2 related graffiti all over the place. It was a cool sight. Windmill Lane was also covered by graffiti but most of it seemed to be generic graffiti not related to U2...at least I couldn't tell if it was. The Bonavox hearing aid shop is also not a bad quick photo op! Will definitely check out other spots recommended here next time I'm in town!

I took a day trip to Slane from Dublin and got a private tour of the castle! That day turned in to quite an adventure for my sister and I. I also snuck a photo of a poster of the band they all signed that was hanging on the castle's "wall of fame" near the back entrance along with other photos of other famous performers. I wasn't supposed to take pictures but I snuck one of the U2 poster! Ha! Couldn't resist. It was so cool to see the rooms of the castle and piece together the UF docu/video, even though there had been a fire since then as you all know. I would recommend the day trip out there to Slane to see the village and the castle grounds and you can arrange for a tour on the website if you want to go inside! Also, go over to New Grange since you will be very close! It's facinating! I loved it!

Back
Top Bottom