U2 set lists Benjamin Button style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bad Exit

Acrobat
Alternative universe:

In the late 70's a starting band named U2 has released some singles and demos, including songs like Every Breaking Wave, Invisible and Reach me Now until they finally released their debut album "No Line on the Horizon" in 1981.

They followed it up with "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" in 1982 and I'm sure you all can work your way up until their latest release "Boy" back in 2009 and some new songs like "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" that rumour has it will be featured on their next album to be released in 2014.

Now... what songs would've been played in the recent 2009-2012 Boy Tour?

Which songs are the old war horses in this universe? The classics? The "please not again" tracks? The fan favourite ones?

What Sydney's 1993 Lovetown/Joshua Tree setlist would've looked like? 1998 Unforgettable Fire in Leeds ? Elevation Tour in Red Rocks back in 1983? McNichols Arena Zoo TV 1987?

---

For instance, let's take a look at the last tour:

Early U2 (pre-Boy / SOI)
Usually we get 1 song (11 o'clock), although this time we got none, so it's empty (but if there's a war horse from this era I'd say it would be Every Breaking Wave).

Debut (Boy / NLOTH)
We got 2 songs (IWF, OOC)
-No Line on the Horizon
-Crazy Tonight

Follow up (October / Bomb)
Usually we'd get Gloria, but this time surprised us with Scarlet.
-Vertigo would be the usual deal, but this time they surprised us with:
-Yahweh

Third album (War / ATYCLB)
We got 1 constant song (SBS) and 2 ocassional ones (NYD, 40)
Constant
-Beautiful Day
Ocassional
-Elevation
-Walk on

First change of direction (TUF / Pop)
Usually 2 constant songs (Pride, Bad), but this time we got 3 regular songs (Pride, TUF, MLK) and one fan favourite turned into an ocassional one (Bad)
Regular
-Mofo
-Staring at the Sun
-IGWSHA
Ocassional
-Please

First 1-2 punch (TJT+RAH / Zooropa+Achtung)
We got 3 constant classic war horses songs, all from JT (Streets, WOWY, ISHFWILF) and 6 ocassional ones (OTH, MOTD + AIWIY, Desire, AoH, LRM), notably missing BTBS.
Constant classic war horses
-Zooropa
-Stay
-Numb
Ocassional
-Dirty Day
-The Wanderer
-One
-The Fly
-Ultraviolet
-Love is Blindness
Missing
-Lemon

Cheating version using AB as TJT:
Constant classic war horses
-Even Better Than the Real Thing
-One
-Until the End of the World
Ocassional
-Ultraviolet
-So Cruel
-Stay
-Numb
-Lemon
-The First Time
Missing
-The Fly

Another big change, another 1-2 punch (Achtung+Zooropa / RAH+TJT)
We got 3 constant songs, all from Achtung (One, MW, UTEOTW), 1 regular (UV) and 4 ocassional (EBTTRT, Fly, Zooropa, Stay)
Constant
-All I Want is You
-Desire
-Angel of Harlem
Regular
-Angel of Harlem
Ocassional
-Heartland
-Hawkmoon
-Where the Streets Have No Name
-With or Without You

Cheating version using TJT as AB:
Constant
-With or Without You
-I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
-In God's Country
Regular
-Bullet The Blue Sky
Ocassional
-One Tree Hill
-Where The Streets Have No Name
-Desire
-All I Want is You

Taking it further (Pop / TUF)
Well, we got exactly 0 songs from here. Although HMTMKMKM and Miss Sarajevo were regulars, and both are from about this era, so...
-Three Sunrises
-Love Comes Tumbling

One more change (ATYCLB / War)
Being part of their work from this millenium, it's well represented with 3 constant songs (BD, Walk on and Elevation), 1 regular (IALW) and 1 ocassional (Stuck).
Constant
-New Year's Day
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
Regular
-Two Hearts Beat as One
Ocassional
-Surrender

Recent work, not a fan favourite (HTDAAB / October)
Their most recent tour keeps 2 constant songs (COBL, Vertigo), but nothing more.
-Gloria
-Fire

The New Album (NLOTH / Boy)
This is the tour supporting this album, so it gets 4 constant songs (CT, Boots, MOS, Magnificent), 2 regulars (No Line, Breathe) and 1 ocassional (UC).
Constant
-Out of Control
-I Will Follow
-An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
-Electric Co.
Regulars
-Twilight
-Another Time, Another Place
Ocassional
-Stories for Boys

*Constant = 80+ times played
*Regular = 40+ times played
*Ocassional = less than 30 times played

Using data from axver's site.

Thanks!!

---

Classic concerts:
Live at Point Depot.
December 31, 1989.

After the success from their 1983 production All That You Can't Leave Behind, and the acclaimed 1984 album Pop, U2 became the biggest band of the decade when they released Zooropa in 1987.

Some of the most well known U2 classics are featured in here, such as Zooropa, Stay and Lemon, to name some, and the album was such a success that the band decided to film a movie for their next production, Achtung Baby in 1988, following the band during the Zooropa Tour. This faced some harsh critics, but the album was still a relative success riding at the coattails of Zooropa's success.

The ZooTV tour took them back to Dublin, where they played one of their most memorable concerts on 1989's last moments, the New Year's Day concert, broadcasted live to all of Europe.

It's the New Year's Day Party, and the live band is U2!!

1. [WTSHNN] Auld Lang Syne (snippet) / Zooropa
Everybody's expecting it, yet listening the slow intro to Zooropa is as exciting as always.

2. [IWF] No Line on the Horizon
You never get tired of a classic. U2's first hit is still a success everytime is performed live.

3. [ISHFWILF] Lemon
Zooropa is still fresh, and Lemon is one of the most succesful singles of U2 ever.

4. [MLK] If God Will Send His Angels
Not the most exciting song, but Pop was not that long ago.

5. [OTH] Numb
Another cut from the band's best album so far.

6. [Gloria] City of Blinding Lights
An oldie but goodie

7. [God] The Fly
First song from the new album, a really good rocker.

8. [Desire] Even Better Than The Real Thing
Another track from the new album.

9. [AATW] Satellite of Love
This Lou Reed cover was often used in this tour.

10. [AIWIY/BAD] One (Snippet) / Please
For some reason, U2 never seem to be willing to play the complete version of one of the best tracks of the new album, but who can complain when it leads to one of the all time fan favourites like Please.

11. [VDL] So Cruel
Not the greatest track of the new album, but after all is the album they're promoting, so... besides, it leads into

12. [BTBS/11OTT] Dirty Day / Cedarwood Road (Snippet)
The Junk Day version of Dirty Day always turns on the crowd. This is yet another all time classic track from Zooropa. This time a very small snippet of legendary track Cedarwood Road also makes an appearance.

13. [RTSS] Stay / Dirty Old Town
As usual, Dirty Day is followed by one more classic track from Zooropa, Stay.

14. [NYD] The Times They are A'changin' / Beautiful Day
The crowd looses it when all of a sudden one of the all time classics, Beautiful Day, starts.

15. [Pride] Gone
One of their biggest hits since a couple of tours ago, this is a well known track to close the concerts with the crowd singing "I'm not coming down" at the top of their lungs.

(Encore)

16. [TTATPG] Summer Rain
The acoustic guitar chords of a well known b-side track from some years ago starts the encore.

17. [AOH] Until the End of the World
The band decided that the encore is a great way to showcase some of the new album's songs.

18. [WLCTT] Mysterious Ways
The new album fest continues.

19. [LRM] Love is Blindness
The concert is coming to an end slowing everything down with one final track from the newest U2 production.

20. [40] Walk On
There was no other way to close the concert. When the classic closer since some tours ago starts, the people knows that we've come to an end, although this time is also a time to go and "dream it all up again".

All Of Bad Exit's "Stories" Here

There's no need to.

I just thought it would be an interest idea and some good discussions on if ATYCLB's version of "40" is Walk On or it should be Grace, and things like that, but I understand that I tend to write long and a bit nonsensical posts.

Sorry for that. Let's go back to the other threads :up:

I definitely enjoyed reading this.

But then I run the site the data's based off, so I might be a sad setlist bastard.

I think it's a clever idea for a thread. Much better than the same old usual discussions we've had a thousand times. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom