U2 Planning to release new album as a app?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rennowba

Rock n' Roll Doggie
U2 PLANNING A 'DIGITAL APPLICATION'

U2 has hired Blitz, a Los Angeles-based digital advertising agency, to create some kind of "digital application."

The Los Angeles Times let the cat out of the bag a couple days ago in an article about Southern California ad agencies that are working heavily in the web and mobile space. You can read the full article here; the brief U2 mention is on page two:

Blitz currently is working on a digital application for the Irish rock band U2.

Blitz's website also lists U2 on its Clients page.

In an Irish Times interview last year, Bono talked about U2's next album having some kind of app version.

Earlier, he was using an iPad with the Achtung Baby songs and videos on it. "That's probably what our new album will look like," he says. "I've been talking about this for the past four years.

"Our last album was the first album to be made available as an app with BlackBerry devices, but it didn't work: the functionality was not what it could have been. New formats are going to happen. I'm always banging on about this. The app format brings you back to that world of gatefold sleeves, of being able to read lyrics – and [now of] being able to play the album at home on your plasma TV."

Prior to that, there was also app-related talk in 2010 while U2 was on tour in Europe. An Italian newspaper included this quote from an unspecified band member:

We are planning to release our next record as an application. Today, with laptops, iphone and ipad music can go back to being a visual phenomenon.

Based on the LA Times article and the appearance of U2 on Blitz's client page, it appears those quotes are going to come to fruition. But when is still anyone's guess.

Usually that and the south of France is where they do most work. We haven't had much reports of them reporting elsewhere either.

Wasnt they recording material somewhere in ireland.

I seem to remember when the edge found that familys bag that all the reports were saying u2 had hired some mansion in the same area were that family were on holiday. Kilkeny or somewere like that if i remember right.

Didn't they move equipment from HQ a few months ago? I remember seeing a pic on facebook.

Back
Top Bottom