U2 performing at inauguration! (rehearsal video posted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100% with Galeongirl:up:

At last someone talks some sense on this boars. "It's like Aerosmith & Run DMC's Walk This Way" my arse. Now Aretha I wouldn't mind. Why should we have a yelping OTT pop singing RnB lite immitator (and as someone called her in a previous thread mediocre performer) with her narrow minded chavy "you're not really singing unless you're oversinging" fanbase when we can have the real deal. As my friend said, no one ever beat Aretha.

edit:

@u2fantasticforever - you didn't get my point at all - and I don't want to be unfriendly - so I like to explain: you already said for yourself that U2.com the official U2 site is less reliable than other sites. Then why do you have so much trust in the "official" site for this event - I count on this interview with one of the organizers, and Variety is a good source.

Thanks for calling me fantastic..lol

i trust that site because they are the ones running this event, producing it that's why..
I am not saying variety isn't a good source just that they are a media/journalistic source (who can misquote or take out of context something that someone tells them in a interview even one of the producers of the event as u mentioned) which I consider to take with a grain of salt.. Just my IMO that's all. :shrug:

let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that ok?

edit: i just saw jeanieco's post.. I am still a little skeptical but hey even better than for me..!

^^I just posted the article from the Washington Post on page 14 of this thread!! Check it out.. I love this quote:

Despite the scramble, booking top talent evidently wasn't difficult. Springsteen, Bono and Brooks "are the ones who usually say no, and for Barack they say yes," Stevens said. "They happened to be the first three we called, and it was like a three-cushion shot and running the table when they quickly said yes."

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Bono will be there is his stars and stripes suit

and his new guitar

g11.jpg

Also, I just wanted to add that I think it's abundantly clear that Bono's own worldview is quite liberal, and thus he deserves a dear amount of credit for the level of non-partisanship that he has maintained for the last few years. For someone like Bono, keeping your mouth shut on anything must be excruciating. But it is necessary in his line of work, and he has really done it. That is, in my opinion, a pretty selfless thing to do; and thank god, because the field of development activism would be what it is today if not for him.

Exactly:up:!

Bono is to be respected for realizing what alot more people should realize: regardless of our worldview, we need to work together to achieve common goals. Of course, there are areas where Bono disagreed with Bush, definitely more so than Clinton or Obama, but as any good lobbyist will do, you work with those who are in power to further your agenda. I think Bono has realized that the Bullet and Silver and Gold tirades from the 1980s let off steam but were not very effective.

As you point out, his work today has been incredibly influential in furthering the cause of eliminating extreme poverty.

Additionally, coming together despite our differences was a common theme in Obama's campaign, having Bono there is a good example of how to work with both parties. Let us not forget that Bono gave the keynote address at one of Bush's national prayer breakfasts.

AWESOME!!! Obama's going to be there too!!!

What kind of event could get U2, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Usher, Will.I.Am, John Mellencamp, Shakira, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow and Josh Groban to share a stage? A massive charity concert? A glitzy awards show? No, try the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

The site of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech will be filled with a variety of sounds during the show, including the music of Herbie Hancock, John Legend, Heather Headley and Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles, as well as historical passages read by Denzel Washington, Queen Latifah, Jamie Foxx and Martin Luther King III. Each artist will perform one song, with a number of duets or trios, often of songs the singers have never performed in public before.

Obama, Vice President-elect Joe Biden and their families will attend the concert, and Obama will appear onstage.

"Be the Change: Live From the Inaugural" will air live on MTV on Tuesday, January 20, at 10 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. PT. MTV News will have wall-to-wall coverage of the event and of the scenes in Washington, D.C., New Orleans and Kenya in the days leading up to the event and in the days that follow.

I wish I could go, but I have work till 5 and my football team is in the championship game.

Who performed at Bush's inauguration? Just curious.

This is bad news for U2 "conservatives" like myself. I wish rock bands would stay away from politics.

Then you should have stopped following U2 circa 1983, when they wrote songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Or in 1985, when they did Live Aid or 1986 when they did the Conspiracy of Hope tour. And don't get me started on the politics in "The Joshua Tree" or Adam's comment in R&H.

So, uh, your comment makes no sense. U2 have done politics for ages. Your complaint reminds me of those who complain about U2 being on shows like SNL or Late Night in the U.S. U2 have done TV for ages, just not in the U.S.

As for the inauguration, good for Bono and Obama. After 8 years of disaster, it's nice to have at least a glimmer of hope.

Wow. Awesome. This is sort of reminiscent to when Bono performed at the Mall at Millennium celebrations in DC. I was only 11 and I was there! he sang One. I think Lanois was there as well playing the secondary guitar.

I really want to go to this one.

"Be the Change: Live From the Inaugural" will air live on MTV on Tuesday, January 20, at 10 p.m. ET/ 7 p.m. PT. MTV News will have wall-to-wall coverage of the event and of the scenes in Washington, D.C., New Orleans and Kenya in the days leading up to the event and in the days that follow.

So this is a totally different event then the 18th concert?

Just read this on the official site:-

'We Are One' U2 join a stellar line up of artists at The Lincoln Memorial in Washington this Sunday for 'We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration'. Don't miss it. It's open to the public and aired on HBO.

Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, John Legend, Usher, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, will.i.am, and Stevie Wonder are among the acts performing while Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington are among those reading historical passages.

'We Are One:The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial' is the opening celebration for the 56th Presidential Inaugural, presented by HBO this Sunday, January 18 (7:00-9:00 p.m. ET/PT).

More news as we get it.

What kind of event could get U2, Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Bruce Springsteen, Usher, Will.I.Am, John Mellencamp, Shakira, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow and Josh Groban to share a stage? A massive charity concert? A glitzy awards show? No, try the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

Those celebrities and a ton of others have signed up to perform at "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial," the first of many official events sponsored by the Presidential Inaugural Committee. According to The Washington Post, the 90-minute concert will begin on Sunday at 2 p.m., and HBO will air it for free (for all cable and satellite subscribers) that night at 7 p.m.

Details are still being finalized, but the theme of the show will be Obama's place in history among other presidents who've led the country in difficult times. Many of the artists will cover songs that have historical resonance or connect with the theme of the day. "It's not a celebration of victory; it's about the country coming together for the future we're going to face," executive producer George Stevens Jr. said on Monday, according to the Hollywood Reporter. "There's a sense of history about it. Much of the music will be in the context of that history. The Lincoln Memorial is a kind of sacred site."

oops never expected the full band would show up.

but in that case they really should play teh new single. The whole world (at least USA) is watching and what could be a better promo than this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom