U2 performing at inauguration! (rehearsal video posted)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pride, Get your boots on.

I don't think they'll play the new song.

Organisers said there was a special motto for this event and artists were asked to chose songs that fit that motto. Have forgotten which one but I think the name "We are one" says it all.

My bet is Pride and One.

City of Blinding Lights would make sense, as that song was played throughout Obama's campaign. I think they should play something a bit more upbeat and exciting, rather than a poignant song like One

Spot on. Maybe they can merge some of the lyrics of either Pride or MLK into the opening of COBL, a la "40" into the opening of Streets? :hmm:

With a snippet of When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

That would be awesome!!!

There was an article posted on Washingtonpost.com I think that said the performers are not playing songs to celebrate themselves, rather they are playing songs appropriate to the historic occassion. Thanks goodness most U2songs/anthems fit the bill on both accounts. But that also leads me to believe that they will not perform any new songs because they want the auidience to be familiar with the music, not use them for marketing. :)
It's all about being ONE, coming together, kumbaya and all that good stuff.

On the other hand... Oprah is doing her show Monday from DC and the teasers/promos for that show say " Tune in for a "WORLDWIDE PREMIERE PERFORMANCE" hmmmm?? We all know how she loves Bono and he loves her...
I know ...that's a long shot that the band will appear on her show but you never know??. :D

That would be awesome!!!

On the other hand... Oprah is doing her show Monday from DC and the teasers/promos for that show say " Tune in for a "WORLDWIDE PREMIERE PERFORMANCE" hmmmm?? We all know how she loves Bono and he loves her...
I know ...that's a long shot that the band will appear on her show but you never know??. :D

Hmmm....

Just to add to my post above..the more I think about the Oprah speculation the more I think it's not a long shot because U2 and Oprah will be there Sunday then Monday what's the band going to do before the inauguration, just hang out?? Nope.... since they are friends, it's highly possible that Oprah asked them to come on the show Monday because MONDAY is MLK Holiday and the Lincoln Memorial concert was the site of his I HAVE A DREAM SPEECH and we all know how Oprah loves to celebrate MLK and this historic tie in with President Obama.... what a natrual thing to ask U2 to come on and perform PRIDE again!! OMG!!! Plus I could see her asking them to play a bonus song...
I can just hear it... "stay tuned.... U2 premieres their new song...GET ON YOUR BOOTS...
A call to arms for everybody to do your part on this National Day of Service that President Obama has declared!! Did you hear that also? The Obama's have organized a National Day of service on MONDAY MLK holiday to volunteer in the community... what better way than to have "Boots" as a motivating song to get people to work!! :lol:

it seems like it could be possible ya??? Don't you think???
Hmmmm....

Bruce springsteen is boring- born in the usa = dreadful song!

What list is this?

Are you going to just stare at it and wish bad things upon me?

Beyonce is rubbish as well

It should be U2 on their own if they want to do this

one thing for sure is that the new U2 lp will shift 1 million in the first week in USA easy!

And Obama cant fail - look who he is following!

What list is this?

Are you going to just stare at it and wish bad things upon me?

Beyonce is rubbish as well

It should be U2 on their own if they want to do this

one thing for sure is that the new U2 lp will shift 1 million in the first week in USA easy!

And Obama cant fail - look who he is following!

Good luck with that :hmm:

He's boring because of one song? Do you even know what that song is about? Ever seen him live in concert?

Yes, U2 should be alone at this event, what a glorious idea. Thank God they are not as narrow-minded and intolerant as some of their fans and have respect for other artists and are open for collaboration.

There is nothing wrong in being narrow minded. Look at Stalin, he was a great narrow minded man.

Bruce is up there on the list with Bon Jovi and Aerosmith for being crappy USA acts who are big for no other reason than being american

It it was free i'd see him live

no way would i pay

There is nothing wrong in being narrow minded. Look at Stalin, he was a great narrow minded man.

Bruce is up there on the list with Bon Jovi and Aerosmith for being crappy USA acts who are big for no other reason than being american

no way would i pay

you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but the fact remains that Bruce Springsteen is possibly the most critically respected mainstream artist who can sell out stadiums across the US. he didn't get big by being Bon Jovi, he got big because he gives what many people have said are the best concerts in rock and roll. Bruce is the only artist on the same level as U2 when it comes to concerts, in my opinion. and while Bruce certainly is American, it's how deeply he's thought about the complexities and contradictions of this country, how much he's criticized this country, and the depth, nuance, sensitivity, and compassion that he's offered in his songs to those who fall on the downside of the "American Dream."

you really should learn more about Bruce. do you even know what "Born in the USA" is about? listen to the lyrics.

but, anyway, i'm totally going to be there on sunday! :hyper:

i guarantee they'll play Pride and the MJB version of One (which i do like).

everyone gets one song, time for duets, and there's supposed to be 500,000 people in attendence.

I am very very selfish

i only care about europe if it came to the crunch. I want UK to become like Switzerland and Norway by Keeping out of all world affairs and keeping their little mouth shut and to not follow usa into trouble

there is a lot of bad stuff in the world but i REALLY dont give a shit -as long as i'm ok and so are my friends and family then i'm happy

But it annoys me that the UK has wasted bazillions on a meaningless war and so many Brits are dying for no cause

Born in the USA means jack all to me

Give it 6 months and Obama will start some conflict - fair play to him, he can speak and construct a sentence which is a step up from the last bloke, doesnt mean he will do any good though

Anyway what do i care - he can make more people unemployed in the USA as i dont live there!

no way would i pay

well guess what? IT IS FREE!

and we all are going and ur not.. :D

besides who says its going to be Born in the Usa... I think it will be The Rising IMO.

first of all, shouldn't the title of this thread be changed to "U2 performing at inaguration!" ??? It's not just Bono anymore....

God I hope that MJB has nothing to do with U2 on Monday...holy shit, if they do her version of One, wow, that's going to make me absolutely sick....please no...

I am very very selfish

i only care about europe if it came to the crunch. I want UK to become like Switzerland and Norway by Keeping out of all world affairs and keeping their little mouth shut and to not follow usa into trouble

there is a lot of bad stuff in the world but i REALLY dont give a shit -as long as i'm ok and so are my friends and family then i'm happy

But it annoys me that the UK has wasted bazillions on a meaningless war and so many Brits are dying for no cause

Born in the USA means jack all to me

Give it 6 months and Obama will start some conflict - fair play to him, he can speak and construct a sentence which is a step up from the last bloke, doesnt mean he will do any good though

Anyway what do i care - he can make more people unemployed in the USA as i dont live there!

what does this have to do with Bruce Springsteen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom