U2 performed at Island Records party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woah. interesting. it sounds like Baaba Maal played "One", and U2 played "Vertigo", hopefully more.

From U2.com

U2 joined Senegalese artist Baaba Maal on stage tonight as part of London's celebrations for Island 50.

Baaba and Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) were sharing the bill at Shepherd's Bush Empire. The band joined Baaba Maal for a version of U2's 0ne to the surprise of the sold out crowd.

Introducing U2 Baaba said, "I have a friend a brother who really takes care of everything. We share the respect of Nelson Mandela's vision. We need people to understand. We didn't make it yet but we are on the way. As we continue fighting poverty especially on the continent of Africa".

As Bono. The Edge, Larry and Adam joined onstage.

The room was a glow with phones in the air as the crowd took pictures of this crazy moment. And then they started with a rousing chorus of One Love by Bob Marley.

Baaba Maal left the stage before U2 continued with a semi acoustic version of Vertigo. Chris Blackwell is in the room looking happy with the preceedings and gets a shout out from Bono.

Chris once said to me "all of this can be yours, all of this can be yours... Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt."

They throw in a few lyrics of peace train for good measure... And then its half time

Bono later appeared on stage to introduce and welcome Yusuf Islam

medium.jpg

They really need to stop promoting Bomb and start promoting NLOTH. We get it... Bono can't count to four in Spanish. But they've made some amazing stuff on NLOTH, and they seem to be denying its existence.

They really need to stop promoting Bomb and start promoting NLOTH. We get it... Bono can't count to four in Spanish. But they've made some amazing stuff on NLOTH, and they seem to be denying its existence.

Yeah...wtf...I keep telling myself to be patient and just wait...but I don't get it...Are they just waiting to show off NLOTH with the 360 Tour? Because everything they've done with NLOTH up until now is clearly not enough...it's a shame, considering how great NLOTH is. I just hope that by June 30th, they've rehearsed a real good amount and they really have something incredible planned for the 360 Tour...

well 1- they obviously love vertigo and 2- they probably don't know exactly how they want to play their NLOTH songs. Vertigo they could play in their sleep, it's not some promotional appearance for NLOTH...would it be awesome if they played No line the song? Sure. Breathe? Yep. Do I mind that they played Vertigo? nope. Better than Pride! :wink:

It's just for fun and not really meant to be nitpicked/promotional or whatever.

They really need to stop promoting Bomb and start promoting NLOTH.

That kind of bugs me, too. It was bad enough that they wasted two nights on Letterman playing old songs (Vertigo, okay. BD? Really?), but they're still rolling out Vertigo?

Maybe they were watching while the Claw was being constructed and they all got bonked in the head with a giant piece of it, and have now forgotten they are in 2009 and not 2004/2005.

"semi acoustic version of Vertigo" which imo is the key word here, this wasnt about promoting the album.

I dunno. Just because it's semi-acoustic doesn't wipe out the fact that it was their lead single from their last album, 5 years ago.

I know it wasn't about promoting the album, but I just think it's odd.

From U2.com

U2 joined Senegalese artist Baaba Maal on stage tonight as part of London's celebrations for Island 50.

Baaba and Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens) were sharing the bill at Shepherd's Bush Empire. The band joined Baaba Maal for a version of U2's 0ne to the surprise of the sold out crowd.

Introducing U2 Baaba said, "I have a friend a brother who really takes care of everything. We share the respect of Nelson Mandela's vision. We need people to understand. We didn't make it yet but we are on the way. As we continue fighting poverty especially on the continent of Africa".

As Bono. The Edge, Larry and Adam joined onstage.

The room was a glow with phones in the air as the crowd took pictures of this crazy moment. And then they started with a rousing chorus of One Love by Bob Marley.

Baaba Maal left the stage before U2 continued with a semi acoustic version of Vertigo. Chris Blackwell is in the room looking happy with the preceedings and gets a shout out from Bono.

Chris once said to me "all of this can be yours, all of this can be yours... Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt."

They throw in a few lyrics of peace train for good measure... And then its half time

Bono later appeared on stage to introduce and welcome Yusuf Islam

medium.jpg

Thank you Laura!!

i agree....STOP PLAYING VERTIGO....lets hear some new shit. This would have been a great opportunity to play Crazy Tonight, or i dunno maybe even their new single Magnificent maybe? Oh well :huh:

Why are you all so upset that they played Vertigo? Who cares? None of us were there, we haven't even seen the performance :huh:

I think for an event like that they should play what they think the audience wants to hear. If that is Vertigo then so it is. Good on them for performing

Hah, I'd seen speculation U2 would appear at this. Cool stuff. Personally, I think it's more disappointing they did One than Vertigo, but who really cares. Plus I'm not sure an NLOTH song would have been entirely appropriate at an Island Records celebratory event, given NLOTH wasn't released on Island.

Anyway, whacked a little article about it up on U2gigs with my usual historico-statistical approach: U2 Surprise Appearance at Island Records Party - U2gigs.com

I think for an event like that they should play what they think the audience wants to hear. If that is Vertigo then so it is. Good on them for performing

Precisely. They were not performing for the satisfaction of internet bloggers. It was a special event. I agree. If it's Vertigo that lights the match at this event then that is it. Too much information is available these days.

Back
Top Bottom