U2 Pay 5 Million Pounds to Help Irish Youngsters Learn Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintagePunk

Blue Crack Distributor
Greedy, tax-avoiding, bad investing, sinister activist bastards. :wink:

U2 help project stuck in a moment -News - Ireland.com

U2 help project stuck in a moment

Every child in the country should have a chance to learn how to sing or play a musical instrument, the organisers of a music scheme part-funded by U2 has said.

Music Generation, the national music education programme for young people, hopes that 10,000 children who would otherwise not have received a musical education will be able to do so over the next three years.

The band has contributed €5 million towards the €7 million cost. The rest will come from The Ireland Funds, an international charitable network.

The band stepped in after it emerged that a State-funded pilot in Ballyfermot and Co Donegal could not be rolled out nationally due to a lack of funds.

The money will go towards a series of local Music Education Partnerships which will involve established music teachers, musicians and administrators. Collectively, they will be able to offer music to schoolchildren either in or outside the classroom free of charge or at a significantly subsidised rate.

It is hoped to set up a dozen partnerships nationwide. Each must have the support of a statutory body, particularly a local authority or a VEC, to qualify for up to €200,000 in annual funding over the next three years.

The Department of Education and Skills has made a commitment to publicly fund the scheme after 2015.

Programme director Rosaleen Molly said Ireland was trailing way behind the European average with only 1 per cent of secondary school children receiving tuition in instrumental or vocal performance. The European average is between 6 and 8 per cent.

She described the lack of commitment to a musical education in Irish schools as “shocking” and refuted the widespread belief that music education is a luxury.

“Not only does it give you the technical skills of learning how to play an instrument, a music education gives you skills that you need for life, a great sense of confidence, discipline and team-working,” she said.

“The gift that U2 and the Ireland Fund have given to our young people goes way beyond musical skills. It is giving them an empowerment and a belief in themselves.”

None of the members of the band were at today’s launch. In a statement guitarist The Edge said they were lucky to have been in a position to have learned music at school. The band said the scheme would benefit children who did not intend to pursue money as a career option.

Project chairman Dr Tony O’Dálaigh said the programme would not exist without the support of U2.

He spoke to the band when funding for the scheme was announced in New York during the summer and they were keen to replicate the type of musical education they were able to receive in Mount Temple Comprehensive School.

“They came from a school that was very liberal so it came as a shock to them that only 1 per cent have access to a musical education here,” he said.

:up::up::up:

This is such a brilliant idea, helping children to reach their creative and artistic potential through music. It's beautiful.
I'm really proud of the band for supporting this endeavour as well!

Now, i wonder how the u2-haters will twist this to show how much of a dick Bono is :doh:

Hell, it's not even 5 million pounds, but 5 million euro, which is even less!
:grumpy:

At least it's better than 5 million dollar, but still...

:sarcasmsmiley:

Hopefully this'll ease some of the stick Irish people give them, but I doubt it somehow.

:tsk: Greedy bastards just trying to show how they care.. It's all a distraction from the tax evasion I tell ya! :fist:
I know, right? Furthermore, why can't BONER (hahhaha) ever do his charity in private? Gotta let the whole world know what a "wonderful" person he is, I guess... :rolleyes:

What is this, an education program for ants???
zoolander_school_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom