U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've listened to Winter maybe about 3 times, to me it sounds like a 21st century version of something off Boy.

Winter is superior to anything on NLOTH IMO

Winter is the only song released from these sessions that give me that old U2 "buzz."

You know that magic feeling you get when a newer U2 song hits you the way some of the older stuff does? In that emotional way?

Here is why:
1. It is a little rough around the edges with an unpolished feel and a more unorthodox song structure (like Bad for example.) Much of 2000 U2 is too overproduced for my liking which takes some of the magic out of it for me. I know they did with with MOS to an extent but the chorus is too cheesy melodically for me (that said the vocals in the studio and live are very special.)

2. The lyrics tell a story and paint a nice picture that resonates. The desolate feeling evokes the JT era to a degree.

3. There is NO other U2 song in their entire canon that demonstrates that many different vocal styles in one song. We have opera vocals, the talk / sing vocals in the middle, emotive singing, falsetto, the purposefully cracking vocals (protect the ones / bullets in guns / take a life.) 5 different styles in one song! Name another U2 song that displays Bono's different abilities like that.

4. The guitar in the intro when Edge kicks in creates a great sense of suspense (lacking in any of the NLOTH songs.) Again, after the middle bit where Bono is talk singing, the guitar comes in and you get some of those old hypnotic Edge ice-notes. I just like this riff.

5. Listen to Adam's bass in a high-end sound system (ideally in a car.) It pulses through your entire spine in a way that no other song on NLOTH does or can.

6. I know there are a couple of cheesy lyrics but there are also some great ones..."summer sings in me no more" which might give you goose bumps if you let it. Bono also hits a couple of notes that harken back to an earlier era of U2 (last heard over 15 years ago with "don't you look back" from WGRYWH.)

7. Admittedly, I like some of the lesser known songs because they are easier to personalize and thus hold dear...

i still haven't listened to this song, or seen linear.

Go to youtube!

You might be missing something very special. If you liked Mercy, you might like Winter!

Does that sound like a cheap cologne knockoff slogan?!!?

Dollar Tree here I come!

Winter is the only song released from these sessions that give me that old U2 "buzz."

You know that magic feeling you get when a newer U2 song hits you the way some of the older stuff does? In that emotional way?

Here is why:
1. It is a little rough around the edges with an unpolished feel and a more unorthodox song structure (like Bad for example.) Much of 2000 U2 is too overproduced for my liking which takes some of the magic out of it for me. I know they did with with MOS to an extent but the chorus is too cheesy melodically for me (that said the vocals in the studio and live are very special.)

2. The lyrics tell a story and paint a nice picture that resonates. The desolate feeling evokes the JT era to a degree.

3. There is NO other U2 song in their entire canon that demonstrates that many different vocal styles in one song. We have opera vocals, the talk / sing vocals in the middle, emotive singing, falsetto, the purposefully cracking vocals (protect the ones / bullets in guns / take a life.) 5 different styles in one song! Name another U2 song that displays Bono's different abilities like that.

4. The guitar in the intro when Edge kicks in creates a great sense of suspense (lacking in any of the NLOTH songs.) Again, after the middle bit where Bono is talk singing, the guitar comes in and you get some of those old hypnotic Edge ice-notes. I just like this riff.

5. Listen to Adam's bass in a high-end sound system (ideally in a car.) It pulses through your entire spine in a way that no other song on NLOTH does or can.

6. I know there are a couple of cheesy lyrics but there are also some great ones..."summer sings in me no more" which might give you goose bumps if you let it. Bono also hits a couple of notes that harken back to an earlier era of U2 (last heard over 15 years ago with "don't you look back" from WGRYWH.)

7. Admittedly, I like some of the lesser known songs because they are easier to personalize and thus hold dear...

Many great points here. :up:

I like every song on NLOTH better than Winter. A lot of it comes down to the lyrics, which I think are just mediocre on Winter. :shrug:

That being said, a fully-finished Winter could be awesome.

I like every song on NLOTH better than Winter. A lot of it comes down to the lyrics, which I think are just mediocre on Winter. :shrug:

That being said, a fully-finished Winter could be awesome.

Just listened to the song for the first time, and i love the guitar riff. There's parts in this song which are original, sound nothing like the typical u2 sound, which is half the reason i liked the song. The guitar has a sad but upbeat feel to it, and the ending is beautiful. I agree most parts of the song could be alot better, it doesnt go anywhere and gets lost in the middle. Overall though, i really like this song, apart from the viva la vida intro, its a good track, and i dont understand all the negative comments. If this was improved, with better lyrics ect, it could be up there with Bad.

It's not a viva la vida intro, it's a U2 intro, or maybe actually in reality an Eno intro. Eno gave both bands the same intro at the same time and challenged them to each come up with a new song each. Winter was U2's attempt.

natalie Portman....and Brothers soundtrack

Speaking of Natalie Portman,a few years back when I lived in New Orleans, I was on my way to the French Quarter on the street car. I was about to exit the streetcar near downtown when I heard my name. Just as I stepped out, who stood in front of me. Natalie Portman. She looked so naturally beautiful. I couldn't move or speak. She was that beautiful. I finally moved and started walking away. I was so flustered at that moment that I forget her name. The only thing that came in my mind was Queen Amidela, her characters name from Star Wars. And I wasn't going to be that guy, who was going to go up to her and say "Hey Queen Amidela..." So I just walked away. It wasn't till I got a few blocks later that I realized who she was. When I went back, she was gone.

Movie looks good. I can't wait for the soundtrack. I have a feeling that the band is going to re-mix the song by adding orchestra strings like "Hands that Built America."

Winter and WAS

Although I agree that WAS would fit better but I'm one of the minorities that believe Winter should have been on NLOTH. It is rough but besides the intro, which most of us dislike, change that to strings from an orchestra and it will work. Edge's guitar licks are incendiary. (Is it just me or does his guitar riff echo City of Blinding Lights) I love the rough sound. How often do we get to hear a work in progress from u2?

For a work in progress, Winter is very breathtaking. I feel it encompasses the whole sound of U2 from shades of early U2 riffs, atmospheric touches of Unforgettable Fire, operatic flourishes from Passengers and Bono's vocal style from NLOTH.

Winter is epic!

It's not a viva la vida intro, it's a U2 intro, or maybe actually in reality an Eno intro. Eno gave both bands the same intro at the same time and challenged them to each come up with a new song each. Winter was U2's attempt.
Really? That's awesome. Where did you hear about this?
Anyway, great to hear U2 has a shot at winning Best Original Song. I really enjoyed Winter, except for one little thing...the MIDI orchestra. If they re-record the string section and maybe do a bit of polishing elsewhere, we could have a winner on our hands.
EDIT: Oh, and maybe change the "butter on toast" line. THEN we're good. :D

i also heard a rumor that the version of Winter that they put on Linear was the old version and that they already had an updated version before they even released NLOTH. supposedly, they saved the newer version for either SOA or Brothers.

for the life of me, i can't remember where i read this, so i don't have a link or anything. fuck you.

i also heard a rumor that the version of Winter that they put on Linear was the old version and that they already had an updated version before they even released NLOTH. supposedly, they saved the newer version for either SOA or Brothers.

for the life of me, i can't remember where i read this, so i don't have a link or anything. fuck you.
...Sorry.
Here's hoping the rumor about the Linear version being old is true!

Sweet Initialism ;]

Do you mean:
QFT

1. quantitative feedback theory
2. quantum field theory
3. quantum Fourier transform
4. (slang) Quoted For Truth
5. Quite Frankly Told
6. Quite Frankly Talking
7. Quit F'ing Talking
8. Quite F'ing True

?

I'd love to know which!

What makes me laugh is people who think that FBB is somehow more 'finished' than Winter. Ha! :lmao:

That story about the intro is intriguing, though. So in this one rare instance...Coldplay > U2? :lol:

I dont see what people see in FBB. The only reason it has all this hype is because it sounds totally different to the normal u2 track. But on the other hand, aswell as being original, it has to be a good track to be up there with the best, and it just isnt that. My overall view of FBB is an unfinished piece of weird garbage.

That would actually make sense since they gave Anton the track so long before the album was done....

I dont see what people see in FBB. The only reason it has all this hype is because it sounds totally different to the normal u2 track. But on the other hand, aswell as being original, it has to be a good track to be up there with the best, and it just isnt that. My overall view of FBB is an unfinished piece of weird garbage.
I can't really explain why I like it but it's just epic. And it has nothing (for me at least) to do with it being weird for U2. At first I couldn't get into this song but now I really love it.:drool:

Back on-topic: I've also heard the story about Winter and Viva La Vida and yes in this case it's Coldplay>U2. Though if U2 change Winter a bit I think it could be epic. It has some really great elements in it but they just aren't glued together.

My loathing for Winter is difficult to articulate without going on an endless rant. I can't think of anything about it that's particularly bearable. The lyrics are vague and tentative, with intriguing moments here and there, but absolutely NOTHING memorable, nothing that sticks out (except for "we're butter on toast", of course...I'm certain that nearly anyone in this thread could come up with a better analogy). And then there's the music. I'm not sure how a song can go in 20 different directions searching for a hook and come up with nothing, but they managed. Edge comes up with a few sublime riffs, but what good does that do when the song goes absolutely nowhere?

In short, Winter potentially winning an award brings the lulz, unless it's been almost entirely rewritten/restructured. U2 could pull something better out of their ass in an hour, but they chose to labor over this instead.

Rhymes began in me
Summer sang in me
But summer sings in me no more

At 21
I was born a son
And on that day I knew
I could kill

I wonder if they left out the "Dallas" part of the song since the spoken bit (03:48-onwards) between this chorus and verse is not listed in the lyrics? :hmm:

Listen to the crowds
The ??
The silence and the fallen/foreign ground
Listening to the fun man (?)
The sky stretched
Streched over everyone

Listening to the tanks
The shots or
The mourns from ?? gate

Listening to our calls
Shining
Obsession

At 21...

This song is verging on boring...the vocals are mixed horribly...Bono sounds sorta shaky anyway...no hook, a VLV-like beginning with those awful, random strings (seemingly thrown in last minute), forgettable melody, minimal effort from Larry and Adam...some memorable lines, but too many weak lines...just...yeah, I pray this never makes any album or any release...ever. It's not a terrible song...but for U2, I'd say this is a very poor effort....sometimes I wonder what they're listening to...why would they even want this released...their standard should be higher than this..much higher.

Just heard the song...don't like it. It had potential but something about it just isn't up to par. Certainly no where near a "classic". If any song should "win" it's "Bad"!!!

This song is verging on boring...the vocals are mixed horribly...Bono sounds sorta shaky anyway...no hook, a VLV-like beginning with those awful, random strings (seemingly thrown in last minute), forgettable melody, minimal effort from Larry and Adam...some memorable lines, but too many weak lines...just...yeah, I pray this never makes any album or any release...ever. It's not a terrible song...but for U2, I'd say this is a very poor effort....sometimes I wonder what they're listening to...why would they even want this released...their standard should be higher than this..much higher.

My thoughts exactly!!! You really have to wonder about these guys at times like this. What were they thinking? Couldn't they have worked a little harder to make it a good song?? Then again, these are the same fellows who released "Boots" as thier first single??? It makes you wonder doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom