U2 nominated for Best Original Song with ‘Winter’ ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, watching the movie I did feel like WAS would be a great fit..it might have even won (or had a better chance, anyways).

Whits As Snow was a great fit since it was written specifically for the movie. But I guess it didn't make it into the movie at all then. (I haven't seen the movie yet) But would it have been eligible since it isn't an original melody? I was thinking that was probably the reason they chose Winter instead, so that the song they used would have a chance at the awards.

Whits As Snow was a great fit since it was written specifically for the movie. But I guess it didn't make it into the movie at all then. (I haven't seen the movie yet) But would it have been eligible since it isn't an original melody? I was thinking that was probably the reason they chose Winter instead, so that the song they used would have a chance at the awards.

(I meant to type WHITE As Snow of course.)

I like Winter, but it doesn't deserve to be nominated for an Oscar. After the lost at the Golden Globe, I'm nor surprised they didn't get an Oscar nomination.

As far as I'm concerned whether they won or not wasn't really important, it was the chance to see them perform the song live at the show and get some red carpet interviews.

Now we won't get either.

As far as I'm concerned whether they won or not wasn't really important, it was the chance to see them perform the song live at the show and get some red carpet interviews.

Yeah, no way they would have won anyway, but it would've been nice to have something to replace the memory of that turgid performance (and recording) of the song they were nominated for back in 2002.

Grammys shouldn't matter for only just now recognizing Neil Young (not to mention AB being snubbed like whoa) and the Oscars shouldn't matter for any number of reasons, this year the biggest case is The Bland Side.

Yeah, no way they would have won anyway, but it would've been nice to have something to replace the memory of that turgid performance (and recording) of the song they were nominated for back in 2002.

I liked that performance.

However, that song too was a bit slow and off.

I'd love to see U2 do an upbeat or powerful dramatic song than these slow rambling songs. They are great on albums and maybe background music in a movie, but by themselves, don't stand out much.

What's really interesting about the failure to even get a nomination, though, is that Sheridan (? - I think it was him) predicted U2 to definitely win despite not winning the Golden Globe.

Wow, I had no idea White As Snow was written specifically for Brothers. It does make sense though. I was just listening to NLOTH yesterday and was thinking how much better a song White As Snow is than Winter, and wondering why that song wasn't used in the movie instead.

Wow, I had no idea White As Snow was written specifically for Brothers. It does make sense though. I was just listening to NLOTH yesterday and was thinking how much better a song White As Snow is than Winter, and wondering why that song wasn't used in the movie instead.

Right. I'm glad they put WAS on NLOTH. And I haven't heard anything anywhere about why both songs weren't used for the movie, maybe Jim Sheridan only wanted 1 and he chose that one, or like I said before maybe it was to keep it eligible, if that was even a factor, I don't know.

They'll probably be a bit gutted. After all isn't an Oscar pretty much the only award they haven't got in their cabinet now?

Back
Top Bottom