U2 looks to enter an unknown dimension in rock history

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for Mercy, I mentioned it because it was part of Bomb as late as Sep/Ocb 2004 ( Blender article), Bono gave it away via that 13 song CD he gave to a member of this forum, and Bono and Edge both said they're working on it still. It was finished, mixed etc and ready to go in 2004. Now if the lyric or music changes significantly upon its release I'm ready to strike it. Otherwise it stays.

I kinda hope Mercy gets released on Passengers II now.

A quote from Adam:

"City of Blinding Lights was actually a track left over from the Pop sessions, although not in that form. There was a melody and a groove that ultimately didn't go anywhere and we kind of threw out everything, found chords that worked with that melody and built it back up, new drums parts, new bass parts, new guitars. It turned out to be a bit of a killer."

page 324...U2 by U2

Maybe you're talking about the band. I'm talking about the individuals. And I'm truly sorry you can't understand how 4 members of a band and their longtime producer making an album in a collaborative effort somehow negates the productivity of the 4 band members during that period.

And about release date measuring productivity, that's all fucking bullshit. These days most big label artists finish their part of the album 6 months before it hits the record stores. And, of course, there's also the months spent mixing and mastering where the band needn't even be present.

Yes, the band. Otherwise we can start a new thread for Bono's solo recordings alone. Had Passengers, not counting other arguments against it, been only a U2+Eno effort (and not being more like Eno with the help of U2+Pavarotti+Howie B+that Japanese artist+who knows else) I could see your point (just like if "Passengers II" includes only U2+Eno+Lanois).

It's a measure in the sense you need the release date so you can separate the output of an artist in time.

I know you'll probably scoff at this but would you include U2 7 in their 00's output ? Those B-sides were new to the US market - and exclusively released there - since they stopped releasing singles there with S. Thing.

A quote from Adam:

"City of Blinding Lights was actually a track left over from the Pop sessions, although not in that form. There was a melody and a groove that ultimately didn't go anywhere and we kind of threw out everything, found chords that worked with that melody and built it back up, new drums parts, new bass parts, new guitars. It turned out to be a bit of a killer."

page 324...U2 by U2

:up:

I'd heard that before as well, knew you were speaking the truth

A quote from Adam:

page 324...U2 by U2

He was talking about the Spiderman soundtrack. So was I.

I know you'll probably scoff at this but would you include U2 7 in their 00's output ? Those B-sides were new to the US market - and exclusively released there - since they stopped releasing singles there with S. Thing.

I live in the US. I bought all the singles. They weren't imports. I had all those songs before U2 7 was released. FYI. And I have no idea what you're getting at to begin with. Those songs were, however, most likely written and recorded in the 90s, though. Which means they were created in the 90s. Which means that band made a product of them in the 90s. They just didn't market said product until 2000. Same as their new contributions to The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.

But I have come to realize that maybe, just maybe, you're not being reasonable here. And therefore, I'm not going to waste anymore time on this argument as we're comparing apples and quantum physics: All you care about is when something was released to you with the stamp U2 across it, whereas I'm talking about productivity of the members of a band diminishing.

By the way, if Passengers wasn't U2, why are Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo on the Best of 1990-2000 compilation? Did U2 cover Passengers? Are they different recordings? I mean, I know U2's covered other bands before, and that some of those songs have even ended up on albums and other compilations. But it'd be uncanny that U2 would cover songs written by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton, and Brian Eno collectively. Alas, though. It must be so. :|

He was talking about the Spiderman soundtrack. So was I.

Here you go, I think this is the source, altough from a different website.
I seem to recall that it was first published on Bollboard.com.

The U2 pair have now completed the 18 tracks and only have to finish off the incidental music to be used between scenes and played in the background.
They used a 20- to 30-piece orchestra for the score -- something rarely heard in modern musicals.
The production will open and close with "Boy Falling from the Sky," one of the show's most intricate pieces.
Other songs include "Bouncing off the Walls," which will accompany the first transformation of Peter Parker into Spider-Man, and "Rise Above," a number written for Mary Jane, the female lead.
They have also written numbers for Arachne, the Spider-Woman villain who was a relatively minor character in the comic book series. U2 are not planning to record all the songs. Gohl said the album that the band have just completed is "entirely different."

Hello Mimi - Bono and The Edge finish Spider-Man musical, plan to use material for U2 album

I live in the US. I bought all the singles. They weren't imports. I had all those songs before U2 7 was released. FYI. And I have no idea what you're getting at to begin with. Those songs were, however, most likely written and recorded in the 90s, though. Which means they were created in the 90s. Which means that band made a product of them in the 90s. They just didn't market said product until 2000. Same as their new contributions to The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.

But I have come to realize that maybe, just maybe, you're not being reasonable here. And therefore, I'm not going to waste anymore time on this argument as we're comparing apples and quantum physics: All you care about is when something was released to you with the stamp U2 across it, whereas I'm talking about productivity of the members of a band diminishing.

By the way, if Passengers wasn't U2, why are Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo on the Best of 1990-2000 compilation? Did U2 cover Passengers? Are they different recordings? I mean, I know U2's covered other bands before, and that some of those songs have even ended up on albums and other compilations. But it'd be uncanny that U2 would cover songs written by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton, and Brian Eno collectively. Alas, though. It must be so. :|

Big girls are best was a Pop leftover, the others are all ATYCLB era songs (that includes Stateless and GBHF). That said U2 has a history of using leftover songs, so date of release should be a qualifier rather than the exact time of writing/recording. :shrug:

MS was a single, with YBR as a B-side. That's why they're on the Best of.

So by the end of the decade U2s productivity will not be far off what they produced in the 90's, i.e.

3 studio albums and a major side project (Spiderman).

Why then is everyone arguing? :confused:

Yes, the band. Otherwise we can start a new thread for Bono's solo recordings alone. Had Passengers, not counting other arguments against it, been only a U2+Eno effort (and not being more like Eno with the help of U2+Pavarotti+Howie B+that Japanese artist+who knows else) I could see your point (just like if "Passengers II" includes only U2+Eno+Lanois).

Why are you talking about solo Bono? Can you understand something recorded by ONE member of the band not being considered band productivity, while something recorded by ALL of them is? No, you can't, apparently.

All Howie B did was produce a track and shout "Elvis" over and over again. He probably "played" more on Pop with all the "decks and loops". Pavarotti sings one section of one song. There's one lead vocal by Holi. That's not much compared to the rest of the music on there.

Is Zooropa now a side project because Johnny Cash sang a vocal? How about Rattle and Hum, which has a Dylan backing vocal on a song he co-wrote, Dylan playing the organ, a snippet of a homeless guy performing, a gospel choir, a horn section, and B.B. King singing and playing guitar. Well, I guess we can remove that album from the 80's output now. :no:

Do you see how ridiculous your logic is? It's beside the point though, because as The Tourist and I (and others) have said over and over again is that we are trying to account for the band's productivity, and whether you like it or not, for much of 1994/1995, ALL the members of U2 were writing and recording music. That's it, case closed, please stop trying to bend this discussion to fit your narrow (and obtuse) view of things.

You just figured this out?

By the way, if Passengers wasn't U2, why are Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo on the Best of 1990-2000 compilation? Did U2 cover Passengers? Are they different recordings? I mean, I know U2's covered other bands before, and that some of those songs have even ended up on albums and other compilations. But it'd be uncanny that U2 would cover songs written by Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Adam Clayton, and Brian Eno collectively. Alas, though. It must be so.

Well done.

So by the end of the decade U2s productivity will not be far off what they produced in the 90's, i.e.

3 studio albums and a major side project (Spiderman).

Why then is everyone arguing? :confused:

You seriously think they'll get the Spiderman soundtrack out next year? :lol: The musical itself isn't scheduled for any specific time yet, and likely won't surface until 2010. Furthermore, just because songs are "completed", doesn't mean that the band are ready to release them, as evidenced by this summer's "oh, yeah, about that whole album thing.......yeah....we kind of want to party and/or sit on our ass for a while longer kick up some more artistic inspiration...and stuff..." incident.

You seriously think they'll get the Spiderman soundtrack out next year? :lol: The musical itself isn't scheduled for any specific time yet, and likely won't surface until 2010.

Same source as before:
Bono and Edge have written 18 tracks for Spider-Man: The Musical, a $25m production that is due to open in New York in October 2009.

MS was a single, with YBR as a B-side. That's why they're on the Best of.

Quite right. But Miss Sarajevo was not a U2 single. It was a Passengers single. So why, pray tell, is it in U2's best of 1990-2000? I mean, it's even riddled with vocals by Paverotti of all things. :| And yes, Your Blue Room was a b-side on a U2 single. I know this. However, it was written and recorded originally by The Passengers. Did U2 re-record the song for the b-side? Or is it the same recording? If it's the same recording, it's further evidence that U2=Passengers.... :hmm: :|

Why are you talking about solo Bono? Can you understand something recorded by ONE member of the band not being considered band productivity, while something recorded by ALL of them is? No, you can't, apparently.

All Howie B did was produce a track and shout "Elvis" over and over again. He probably "played" more on Pop with all the "decks and loops". Pavarotti sings one section of one song. There's one lead vocal by Holi. That's not much compared to the rest of the music on there.

Is Zooropa now a side project because Johnny Cash sang a vocal? How about Rattle and Hum, which has a Dylan backing vocal on a song he co-wrote, Dylan playing the organ, a snippet of a homeless guy performing, a gospel choir, a horn section, and B.B. King singing and playing guitar. Well, I guess we can remove that album from the 80's output now. :no:

Do you see how ridiculous your logic is? It's beside the point though, because as The Tourist and I (and others) have said over and over again is that we are trying to account for the band's productivity, and whether you like it or not, for much of 1994/1995, ALL the members of U2 were writing and recording music. That's it, case closed, please stop trying to bend this discussion to fit your narrow (and obtuse) view of things.

I can, but I'm not the one that said Mission:Impossible should be included. If Adam and Larry efforts count, let's bring out all the solo efforts out as well: band member productivity should qualify, was the argument put forth.

The point is Passengers was a one time coalition of artists, led by Eno. "Eno's the captain of this ship" - Bono, 1995. Not really comparable to Cash doing a single song on Zooropa, or the two songs that Dylan worked on, Freedom for my people bit (?!?), a live version of I still haven't found..., or U2 inviting some horn players on Angel of Harlem, or BB King playing on one song.

One last time, as it's repeatedly flying over your head: I did nowhere say U2 was not involved in the Passengers. What I'm saying is it should not be included in the official U2 output, ie albums, non single songs for reasons outlined already. If you want to count that, so should MDH (3 U2 members and their long time producers were involved in varying degrees, and it features 2 U2 songs). And what of Spiderman musical - some of the Bono/Edge penned material is said to be included in the U2 album. 2 side projects in this decade compared to one in the 90's. I absolutely agree this needs to stop, no one will convince anyone else.

I already covered that, tourist. I would just add they were probably tight for space on the CD thus Miss Sarajevo got on board on the 90's Best of. If U2=Passengers as you claim, they would not need that adopted name.

This discussion isn't ABOUT whether or not Passengers is official U2 output. Who cares? We were talking about productivity and whether the band was making more music in the 90's than the current decade. You're the one who turned it into something else.

I already covered that, tourist. I would just add they were probably tight for space on the CD thus Miss Sarajevo got on board on the 90's Best of.

This made me laugh. There's no Fly or Lemon on the disc, and they were "tight for space"?

I already covered that, tourist. I would just add they were probably tight for space on the CD thus Miss Sarajevo got on board on the 90's Best of. If U2=Passengers as you claim, they would not need that adopted name.

After re-reading the conversation, this statement appears to negate what you've already said. Ah well. Miss Sarajevo is a U2 song. But then, so is Elvis Ate America. Both were written and recorded by Passengers, who is U2's pseudonym. Like how Stephen King writes as Richard Bachman, too, but we all know it's Stephen King, and that it's written the way Stephen King writes.

Back
Top Bottom