U2 lithographs and marriage to a non-fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaimearodriguez

The Fly
Hello All,

Any fans married to a non-U2 fan? Need some advice.

Received the U2.com lithographs and as much as I love them, I find I wont be able to put them anywhere as my wife's patience with U2 taking over our walls is at ZERO. Can't blame her, she wants our home to have nice elegant decor, not become the Rock N'Roll Hall Of Fame.

Any feedback from those of you married to/or living with non-U2 fans?

Any feedback from those of you married to/or living with non-U2 fans?

Yeah, run!!!

:wink:

There always has to be compromise, and there's probably something she wants to put out or hang up that you don't like. There's an always an elegant way to hang that kind of stuff without turning it into a collage dorm room or mancave. But to be nice you might want to start with the office or something like that...

babysteps...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Every non-U2 fan has a track they like. Had a friend who absolutely loved Desire, but didn't care for anything else. You must choose wisely for as the true track brings enjoyment and solidarity, the false track will take any chance of blossoming fandom away.

Haha this is exactly my situation so I had to reply.
34yrs old and bought first house with wife. Our compromise is that I have our basement for my u2 man cave, leaving the upstairs as adult and presentable for guests. I also found that buying simple black frames for my u2 art makes it look much more classy than the teenager posters with thumb tacks look.

I hung one in our huge bathroom:hyper:

The other is in its original cardboard tube in my closet...

Attachments

• 20160830_212103.jpg
    20160830_212103.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 32
Haha this is exactly my situation so I had to reply.
34yrs old and bought first house with wife. Our compromise is that I have our basement for my u2 man cave, leaving the upstairs as adult and presentable for guests. I also found that buying simple black frames for my u2 art makes it look much more classy than the teenager posters with thumb tacks look.

Need a man cave for sure. Right now we are in a 2 bedroom only (in an expensive part of Miami) so its not an option. What donyou think about taking a framed litograph to the orfice, unprofessional? Coworkers would see it.

Am I the only gal married to a U2-loathing husband? I wouldn't even be allowed to consider hanging them in our house - he barely tolerates the music being played in his presence. I've managed to sway my two young daughters, however, and am slowly gaining a majority!

I HATE the concept of the mancave. Like I'm a 2nd class citizen, a bondsman who should thank his master on his knees that he allows his serf a tiny scrap from his table to live off. Now, compromise is always a good thing, but one person should not the final say on interior decorating. That is not a sign of a healthy relationship, that is the sign of surrender. No house should have a mancave, nor a womancave, it should reflect the personalities of all the people who live in it.

I HATE the concept of the mancave. Like I'm a 2nd class citizen, a bondsman who should thank his master on his knees that he allows his serf a tiny scrap from his table to live off. Now, compromise is always a good thing, but one person should not the final say on interior decorating. That is not a sign of a healthy relationship, that is the sign of surrender. No house should have a mancave, nor a womancave, it should reflect the personalities of all the people who live in it.

Curious if you are married? Part of it is negotiating everything. Trust me, there is still plenty of U2 stuff around, but the wall space is more visible and crucial to a home

Am I the only gal married to a U2-loathing husband? I wouldn't even be allowed to consider hanging them in our house - he barely tolerates the music being played in his presence. I've managed to sway my two young daughters, however, and am slowly gaining a majority!

My sister loves U2 but her husband hates them with a passion

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Need a man cave for sure. Right now we are in a 2 bedroom only (in an expensive part of Miami) so its not an option. What donyou think about taking a framed litograph to the orfice, unprofessional? Coworkers would see it.

I don't think this is a bad idea persay. I guess it depends on what type of job you have. If the environment is super professional like a law firm then maybe not. But if it's a pretty loose and friendly environment, sure why not. Just be prepared for some light ribbing. Back when I had an office job someone ripped a tiny bono pic out of a magazine for me and it sat near my cpu and bono jokes were a constant from coworkers from that point on ( which didn't bother me).

Also, if it's your own private office sure. But if it's a public space for all, then others might not like you choosing what they look at.

If you already have a bunch of u2 stuff up in a 2 bedroom, then I'd say ur pretty lucky. When I had a smaller spacewith limited wall space, I'd just have to rotate my items every 6 mnths and keep it fresh.

Or you could even make her feel included in the decision by asking, "honey, I really appreciate you tolerating my u2 pic in this spot, so which of these 2 pictures do you like better here?"

I don't think this is a bad idea persay. I guess it depends on what type of job you have. If the environment is super professional like a law firm then maybe not. But if it's a pretty loose and friendly environment, sure why not. Just be prepared for some light ribbing. Back when I had an office job someone ripped a tiny bono pic out of a magazine for me and it sat near my cpu and bono jokes were a constant from coworkers from that point on ( which didn't bother me).

Also, if it's your own private office sure. But if it's a public space for all, then others might not like you choosing what they look at.

If you already have a bunch of u2 stuff up in a 2 bedroom, then I'd say ur pretty lucky. When I had a smaller spacewith limited wall space, I'd just have to rotate my items every 6 mnths and keep it fresh.

Or you could even make her feel included in the decision by asking, "honey, I really appreciate you tolerating my u2 pic in this spot, so which of these 2 pictures do you like better here?"

Really appreciate your well thought out response.

My office is corporate-ish, and I am in a cubicle basically. Leaning towards framing the 'wave/end of the world' lithograph and just take my chances at work. Its not a 'fan boy' art piece, if anything its colorful.

Thanks for your advice.

Really enjoying hearing from U2 fans, whose couples don't like U2 as much. Its annoying as heck isn't it? hahaha

Last edited:
My wife is fine with the entire bottom of 3 levels being subjected to U2 stuff on the walls in our house. I can't complain about it when I have 1250+ sq. feet to work with. Compromise is everything.

Curious if you are married? Part of it is negotiating everything. Trust me, there is still plenty of U2 stuff around, but the wall space is more visible and crucial to a home

I am not married but I do know lots of married men, and their idea of compromise seems to be 'yes dear' and 'I'd like that, if my wife allows it'. That is not compromise. That is surrender. Just like the concept of the mancave. Sometimes you need a workspace at home, for tools, or just uninterrupted work, that makes sense. But it should never be a hideout where a man can sit with the last remainders of what used to be his stuff, exiled from the rest of the home.

This sounds like my problem. My compromise was i was allowed to put things on the wall in the hallway up stairs. None downstairs but upstairs was fine.

Also drill u2 into your wifes head. My wife has saw u2 3 times now, two london trips and one to dublin. So we did things for both of us so the u2 gig she could more then tolerate. Infact she doesnt mind seeing them live cause she says " they put on a show"

This sounds like my problem. My compromise was i was allowed to put things on the wall in the hallway up stairs. None downstairs but upstairs was fine.

Also drill u2 into your wifes head. My wife has saw u2 3 times now, two london trips and one to dublin. So we did things for both of us so the u2 gig she could more then tolerate. Infact she doesnt mind seeing them live cause she says " they put on a show"

Good advise. I tried the "drilling U2" into her head for years. Gave up. She respects what they have achieved but in her words: "Its not my thing, its yours!"

:D

I have one lithograph framed, the NLOTH one on sandymount beach. If I ever move in with someone or vice versa, they're going to have to accept that that is going in the living room. Otherwise, no deal. In return I'll accept something of theirs of course. The rest of my posters and U2 stuff I'm fine with putting elsewhere, I have far too many to hang up anyway and not all are pretty. I'll get a glass cabinet to put stuff in anyway.

I am not married but I do know lots of married men, and their idea of compromise seems to be 'yes dear' and 'I'd like that, if my wife allows it'. That is not compromise. That is surrender. Just like the concept of the mancave. Sometimes you need a workspace at home, for tools, or just uninterrupted work, that makes sense. But it should never be a hideout where a man can sit with the last remainders of what used to be his stuff, exiled from the rest of the home.

I am not married

I am not married

I am not married

I am not married

;)

yeah, I was going to say... good luck with all of that pal.

My wife does not like U2 so I am not allowed to display any of my memorabilia except in my office. This is what happens when you get married, you do what your wife says, anyone who says otherwise is either not married or is not in touch with reality.

i'm not married, but maybe the compromise has something to do with things more important than posters?

A relative sent me the Unforgettable Fire lithograph from U2.com, and I didn't realize how big those things are. They're huge!

I suppose that if I were married and my husband wanted to hang giant pictures of his favorite band in the house, and I didn't like that band, I wouldn't be thrilled about it. I definitely wouldn't want them in "formal" rooms where visitors would go, otherwise I would just try to accept it, if they were in moderation and not too ugly. I wouldn't want posters of KISS or someone like that all over the house. :huh:

Basically, the idea is to try to see things from the other person's point of view.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom