U2: like The Beatles when they were at their best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moshepop

The Fly

In this article posted at @u2
, Harry Crosbie, long time friend of U2 and owner of the new O2 arena, among other prasing comments about the upcoming U2 album, he said the following:

"It is a stunning piece of creative work and, to me, it reminds me of the Beatles when they were at their best. It's a fabulous piece of work."

What do you think? To which Beatles albums the next one might me comparable? Or to which Beatles Era was he refering?

This article is already posted in Where The Album Has No Name.

Hopefully the new U2 album has the innovative songs like on Sgt. Pepper's, The White Album and Abbey Road, but shares that 1 coherent sound of Rubber Soul.

In this article posted at @u2
, Harry Crosbie, long time friend of U2 and owner of the new O2 arena, among other prasing comments about the upcoming U2 album, he said the following:

"It is a stunning piece of creative work and, to me, it reminds me of the Beatles when they were at their best. It's a fabulous piece of work."

What do you think? To which Beatles albums the next one might me comparable? Or to which Beatles Era was he refering?

Jesus. :doh:

Sgt Pepper is what I was thinking too. Or maybe White Album.

I certainly hope this isn't their Abbey Road (the last album)...

I don't consider Abbey Road to be Beatles' best work; I think it's called that for nostalgic "but it was their last one" reasons.

Also, all the hype aside, yeah, I seriously doubt we're getting U2's best album.

I don't consider Abbey Road to be Beatles' best work; I think it's called that for nostalgic "but it was their last one" reasons.

Also, all the hype aside, yeah, I seriously doubt we're getting U2's best album.

Actually, I call it their best because it has their best songs on it, their best production, and not because it's their last.

And there's a lot of difference between "want" and "get." Nice try, though.

Actually, I call it their best because it has their best songs on it, their best production, and not because it's their last.

And there's a lot of difference between "want" and "get." Nice try, though.

Actually, that's all a matter of debate (personally I think George Harrison completely outshines anything Lennon and McCartney - who are not on their best - do on that album, thus it's not their best work. Plus they were barely functioning as a band then and half the album are leftovers from the White Album sessions aka Lennon/McCartney leftovers everyone was too lazy to develop more. Why is production any measure in the album's quality?) And I never said "you" call it their best because it's their last.

Indeed there is - we want their best album but we won't get it.

Is there anybody here who'd like a U2's Revolver????? Great songs, great melodies, great vocals, great ideas and that fantastic drum loop that the Chemical Brothers tended to copy several times:doh:

I can't see Sgt. Pepper because Bono already said Zooropa was their attempt but I could see the White Album comming from this.

Apples and oranges, but I wouldn't mind a sprawling, kitchen-sink-style White Album.

Also, the Beatles managed to squeeze in nearly their entire career in the span between HTDAAB and this new one.

U2 want to have the best album of 2009 not 1969, all the Beatles comparisions are useless because no matter what U2 do they wont ever be seen in the same light as the Beatles who the majority of people think are some kind of Gods. Personally I think they are a great band but probably the most over rated band in the history of music but that isnt going to change at any point so I just have to put up with it :)

If U2 make the best material U2 can they should only be compaired to themselves as this is a different time and a different place.

Imagine a u2 album full of strawberry fields, i am the walrus, tomorrow never knows esque songs :hyper:

" I don't believe in the Sixties-the Golden Age of pop
you glorify the past, the future dries up."
-Bono, 1988

Seriously, U2 and their circle of friends should stick to that very philosophy when making/talking about new music!!!!

:mad:

I also think that this 'like the Beatles at their best" thing is crap (and I'm a Beatles fan). Everytime U2 is about to release a new album, this 'statements' about the new sound only managed to confuse (like the 'punk rock from Mars' that Bono said in the HTDAAB era).

My personal thoughts is that the new album is alredy finish and could have been release in November, but to avoid competition, and to figure a new way to marketing the new album (maybe download the 1st single for free) they'll release in february... everybody knows that are no fools in the band, and marketing is a BIG thing today, when so many people get music in the internet, legal and illegal.

I just don't like this 'double album' rumour, I simply don't like this idea, a lot of artists are doing this (Foo Fighters, Beyonce, Red Hot), but for me, the best is to release 12 f****** great songs e that's all.

I also think that this 'like the Beatles at their best" thing is crap (and I'm a Beatles fan). Everytime U2 is about to release a new album, this 'statements' about the new sound only managed to confuse (like the 'punk rock from Mars' that Bono said in the HTDAAB era).

I beg to differ: It wa "punk rock from Venus".

That's a huge difference.

:wink:

I wasn't alive in 1969, so I don't really give a shit about what was released when.

It's their best album because the band members stepped up and delivered a clutch of awesome songs. Plus, the medley is just brilliant.

I'd love it to be like The White Album, Revolver, Rubber Soul, any of them. Though I must say, I think Sgt Peppers is the most over rated album ever, sure the idea was incredible and groundbreaking, but other than A Day In The Life and possibly WIthin You Without you the music sucked, in my humble opinion.

I think Sgt Peppers is the most over rated album ever, sure the idea was incredible and groundbreaking, but other than A Day In The Life and possibly WIthin You Without you the music sucked, in my humble opinion.

I agree with this, I've never thought that Sgt Pepper was one of the bands more inspired albums, I like Lucy In The Sky and of course Day In The Life is one of the greatest things they ever did, but apart from that I really can take it or leave it.

Abbey Road's a different matter altogether, its amazing that they managed to produce something of such high quality whilst everything was falling apart around them.

They were still pretty daring right up until the end, I Want You is a good example, very long and very repetitious but completely riveting, plus I love how it just stops dead.

Come Together, Something, Oh Darling and Here Comes The Sun are all excellent and the idea of the medley was brilliant, rescuing the weaker tracks and enhancing the stronger, plus it impossible not to be stirred by all four Beatles singing Carry That Weight.

An amazing end to a career IMO.

I wasn't alive in 1969, so I don't really give a shit about what was released when.

It's their best album because the band members stepped up and delivered a clutch of awesome songs. Plus, the medley is just brilliant.

Sgt Pepper is widely regarded as their best work. :shrug:

Abbey Road gets to be overrated and the sentimental value should not be underestimaded. Anyway that discussion was done in LS a while ago already.

And there's a lot of difference between "want" and "get."

Speaking of "want" (was referring to the hype, actually) - I just want an album that has a lyrical cohesiveness, unifying theme. I never said I want a "zomg best U2 album". :hmm:

I don't think they can get the a) songwriting quality up to JT/AB standards or the b) inspiration. And how many rock bands with that kind of back catalogue made their best work in their 50's ?

Back
Top Bottom