U2: Letterman's House Band for a FULL WEEK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are going to be the house band as Paul takes a vacation.

Edge will dress up like Paul and Bono will sing

"Stupid Pet tricks...pet tricks... Stupid Pet Trickssssss OOOH yeah" :D

What a freakin' excellent pre-birthday gift for ME! :hyper: The timing on this is perfect: we're headed out of the country for 8 days on the morning of the 7th, so I'll not only have a brand new album to devour on the plane, I'll be able to catch the whole week's worth of live footage before we go! :hyper:

I'm hoping to record all 5 nights in HD, but my brother & his family will be in town and likely will be taking residence in my room because its big, so it might not happen :reject:

Hopefully someone else will be able to record it in HD and post it if thats the case.

What a freakin' excellent pre-birthday gift for ME! :hyper: The timing on this is perfect: we're headed out of the country for 8 days on the morning of the 7th, so I'll not only have a brand new album to devour on the plane, I'll be able to catch the whole week's worth of live footage before we go! :hyper:

Off-topic, but BluRmGrl, I love that quote in your sig. I'd never seen it before.

I think its going to be more than 5 songs. They might do one new song and one classic song every night.

Also, it should be noted that this is the same week that Jimmy Fallon replaces Conan on the Late Night show, so perhaps U2 will be performing as a bridge to the Craig Ferguson show to prevent people from watching Fallon's debut week.

Future performances are too far away, but I can see U2 doing some additional promotion when their tour starts in the U.S.

And I think this is one reason they are doing some heavier promotion in the U.S. now as the upcoming tour, unlike most of the past tours (since JT, excluding Love Town, which never hit the U.S.), is not starting in the U.S.

While it remains to be seen, I can envision Letterman talking to U2 more on the first night, meaning U2 may only perform one song then.

On the other nights, I can definitely envision two songs. And I think U2 would be wise to play a good combination of old and new. Fans won't know the new material, so lure them in with a classic, then, hopefully wow them with a new song. Rinse and repeat the process for the week. If Letterman talks to U2 on the other nights, it probably would be far shorter (after all, how many times can one ask about the "new album" or "tour" or DATA or the history of U2, etc.?).

I'm glad to see this promotion. As I've mentioned in other threads, despite U2 having multiple #1, Grammy winning albums that have sold nearly 60M copies in the U.S. alone, despite having numerous Top 40 hits and plenty of other Hot 100 hits, it seems radio stations just don't play U2. The powers that be on radio seemed to have deemed that Clarkson, Kanye, Beyonce and Timberlake are all that we should hear. :rolleyes: So U2 have to resort to doing some sort of promotion to get the word out. I'd rather see 5 nights on Letterman than a commercial, as this way no one can complain about "selling out". :applaud:

Maybe Letterman will talk to a different band member each night.

Monday - Edge
Tuesday - Larry
Wednesday - Adam
Thursday - Bono

Looks like Letterman might be trying to steal the thunder of Fallon's first week as host. U2 would lead right into Craig Ferguson, opposite Fallon.

I think this is a good step forward. Letterman plays great music on his show and isn't as mainstream as Jay Leno and Conan. If the new music fits on Letterman, I'm very satisfied!

Wow cool. I'm really not a Letterman fan at all though. I wish they'd do Conan instead, considering he's actually entertaining and he's friends with the band and all.

That's really cool. Will they play little instrumental jams going into comercial breaks and stuff— like the real band? COuld be very interesting. However, knowing U2, they'll probably play Boots 5 nights in a row.

I think its going to be more than 5 songs. They might do one new song and one classic song every night.

Also, it should be noted that this is the same week that Jimmy Fallon replaces Conan on the Late Night show, so perhaps U2 will be performing as a bridge to the Craig Ferguson show to prevent people from watching Fallon's debut week.

Excellent observation. :hmm:

I wish Conan would have had U2 on for his last week as the host of Late Night--the ratings would have been through the roof. The last time U2 was on Conan for the entire show it was awesome. I hope that once Conan takes over the Tonight Show he will have U2 as guests.

As for Letterman, I don't ever watch his show, but I will definitely be watching the week of March 2nd. :up:

This is too exciting!
Please someone record it all in HD like the grammy's performance....
Can't wait!

Last edited:
On a side note..in case you're thinking of visiting NYC..I believe Lettermna tapes 2 shows on Tuesday (One for Tuesday..one for Friday). This may not happen that week, but just a heads-up.

Does Letterman ever tape interviews in advance? I could see them getting U2 to play one night and just cutting that up over 5 nights.

I think they could easily sneak in 2 songs per night and get in most of the album. Though, I doubt they'll do the whole album because some of the songs are really long and I'm not sure people have the attention span for.......

.....:hmm:

I forgot what I was saying....

oh, well.

YEAH! GOYB ROCKS OMG!!!1111 SOOOOO EPIC!!!!

I actually liked GOYB :)reject:), but this is brilliant. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom