U2 Knows they are slipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcfitz80

The Fly
Let me start this thread off by saying I saw the Toronto show the other day and thought they did an amazing job. The Edge was on fire, Larry and Adam were strong and solid as always and Bono’s voice was actually fairly decent. The concern is over the set list. Now I loved all the AB tracks being in their just as much as I’m sure as a lot of people did. But only 3 tracks from NLOTH? And none of those other tracks from the unfinished or discarded SOA that they had been playing last year? This is concerning! I actually liked NLOTH as I know a lot of the bigger fans did. But the fact that they aren’t playing many of these newer songs means they know that most people don’t like their newer stuff as much. This bothers them - A LOT. They want to be the biggest band in the world as judged by the masses. They want to be the chart toppers they had been through the JT and AB years and have desperately tried in vein to regain this status since POP. Through the Vertigo tour they at least believed in, and had enough confidence in their current record to continue playing half a dozen or so HTDAAB right through the tour. But not this time. NLOTH didn’t do nearly as well as they hoped and they clearly are struggling in the studio and have little confidence in their post NLOTH work otherwise we would have had SOA or at least something by now. Unlike the last few times, this time they really put their minds to making a quick follow up, had a lot of press about it that made it sound pretty definite and yet we got nothing since they haven’t completed any songs they have confidence in. To put this in perspective, this far into the Zoo tour we had Zooropa out in addition to AB and half their shows were songs from those records! This time only 3!

To sum this up I think the conversation before this leg of the tour went something like this:

“Look guys, we know were struggling with completing new material and that most of the more casual fans don’t like NLOTH that much. The best thing we can do now is have a show that goes heavy on songs from AB since that is the most recent album that everyone liked and distance ourselves from the newer stuff. We’ll deal with what to do about a new record after the tour.”

I know this thread will stir a lot of people up but let me again say that I liked NLOTH and think their current shows are really good. What I’m saying though is that more than ever, they are concerned about what people think of them and are really bothered by NLOTH not being as well received by the masses as they had hoped. This is one of those big crises of confidence they seem to have every ten years right around when a new decade starts.

To sum this up I think the conversation before this leg of the tour went something like this:

“Look guys, we know were struggling with completing new material and that most of the more casual fans don’t like NLOTH that much. The best thing we can do now is have a show that goes heavy on songs from AB since that is the most recent album that everyone liked and distance ourselves from the newer stuff. We’ll deal with what to do about a new record after the tour.”

The last album "everyone" liked was ATYCLB. Or even the last one, considering the Grammy wins and the success of the tour and the album sales.

I agree that the lack of the NLOTH songs is fucking lame as hell, but I think they're playing a lot of AB because of the 20th anniversary and perhaps because they wanted to rock out a little more.

129165183641273000.gif

It is strange that so many NLOTH songs have been dropped. But U2 are uncertain about the recording industry right now. So many bands are turning into nostalgia acts. The Pixies and Soundgarden are both touring without a pretense of new music.

Why would they record new songs when everyone just downloads them anyway?

i LOVE Florence and the Machine!

in other news, yes, most people liked ATYCLB. you can't argue with the sales, the Grammys, or the ubiquity of BD and "stuck" and the reception those songs have gotten on the past three tours.

ATYCLB was an unqualified success for U2 in virtually every area.

individuals may not like it, and that's their prerogative and concerns about ATYCLB are certainly valid, but, yes, as much as we can make sweeping statements, "everyone" did like ATYCLB. and U2's faith in that album on every tour since absolutely validates their opinion of the album.

oh, wait, there's a crisis going on. :yikes:

I stopped reading there :lol:

U2 aren't promoting NLOTH. They are promoting the upcoming AB and Zooropa remasters, just like they did when UF came out. They had just released NLOTH back then, they haven't released anything new since the start of the tour.

I'm also sad to see them drop songs from No Line and to this very day I'm convinced that the first legs of the tour were the best ones - setlist-wise and all.
The AB songs in the set now are nice and I think EBTTRT is a great opener, but the early shows had something special and were much "rawer" and more interesting in terms of setlist variation and stuff that the band were just trying out and experimenting with. It may have been imperfect, but it had a feeling and atmosphere that I will never forget and still hold close to my heart.
I'm so very glad I was able to see them play in Europe two years in a row.

It's sad to say goodbye - but I totally believe it's a good thing this tour is ending. It's been going on for too long, of course due to Bono's injury and the postponed shows, but I simply don't like the concept of a band touring for touring's sake without anything to promote. Now they have to go back to the studio to sort out stuff and focus on new material and a new album.

I'd much rather see a new album being released this year than another remaster, AB or not.

Btw, with all the recent "crisis" threads (this place hasn't changed much, which is - in a way - good to know :wink:) I think that the fans are actually in crisis, not the band, at least according to my understanding of crisis and the concept of crisis is something I have had to deal with A LOT in recent years, so no, I don't believe they are in crisis, I think they are actually beyond it. The 1990s were the time of their biggest crisis. Now one can argue that a crisis is a state of something old ending and something new trying to be born, so it may not be the worst thing for the guys to be in crisis :)

I agree its the fans that are actually in crisis. We all know that after this tour ends, they are going to be taking a long vacation, and where will that leave new material?

Bono and Edge especially, thanks to Spidey, have to be ready for a long break. I doubt if they will get back into the studio this year at all. U2's future is uncertain to say the least.

U2 are not in crisis; U2 fans are just pessimistic. You bunch of Debbie Downers.

This could be the end of the current U2 era. I am excited to see what the next one will be like.

I'm not sure if I can trust anyone who can't read the other threads to know where this goes, and then also thinks they know what "everyone likes"... :hmm:

We all know they were pretty much unstoppable after the release of The Joshua Tree and subsequent tour. But then they sort of got on people's nerves with the Rattle and Hum period. The same thing has happened again. This time though the band pretty much dominated from 2000 to 2006 and now I get the feeling the band think it too. They have to not try as hard...that's all.

And there were a lot of U2 traditionalists who didn't like Achtung Baby.

I was just trying to point out that ATYCLB had pretty widespread praise. I'm not even a big fan of the album, personally.

Pretty much EVERYONE liked Beautiful Day. I've never actually met a human being in the flesh who liked ATYCLB as much as I did, and I think it's their weakest album. Most people I meet savage both ATYCLB abd HTDAAB. As far as I know, all the "people" who claim to love it could be a single user with 100 user names.... :wink:

Due out in in the fall , rattle and hum 2.

Includes 9 new songs, some covers from the rock and roll hall of fame concert. And some live versions of some past hits. Live remix of crazy tonight. "Patty smith stole this from Bruce springsteen . We're stealing it back".

They are playing Achtung songs to promote the upcoming remaster. They are not playing No Line songs because they suck live. At every show I've been to, there is a noticeable groan from the crowd as soon as the Boots riff starts. Even worse when you consider that Magnifisuck could be next. And yeah, the bathroom lines fill up at this point.

They are playing Achtung songs to promote the upcoming remaster. They are not playing No Line songs because they suck live. At every show I've been to, there is a noticeable groan from the crowd as soon as the Boots riff starts. Even worse when you consider that Magnifisuck could be next. And yeah, the bathroom lines fill up at this point.

well hello there my little ray of sunshine :wink:

enjoyed the shows have we?

I gotta say I agree that Boots doesn't go over as well as it should (especially as Vertigo and Elevation seem to hit the 'let's bounce like loons' spot) but I don't know about 'audible groans' and "bathroom lines" . . . :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom