U2 + Kierkegaard = LOVE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have studied existentialism for many years and read all of Kierkegaard's works, I was especially interested in his works on fear and despair. The author here offers an interesting take on a very special subject, still it seems a little far fetched. I can't elaborate because I have little time today, but you could easily find similarities between Kierkegaard's theories and many modern artists, since existentialistic views have had a huge impact on modernism and post-modernism. I'm pretty sure Bono has read a lot of philosophers, Kierkegaard included, but I don't think he's thinking of anything in particular when he's writing his songs, at least not of philosophical theories. You can establish a connection anywhere you want to, simply because the themes in U2's music are so wide and broad. I enjoyed reading the book "U2 on Philosophy", but I still thought that many ideas seemed a little far fetched to me. If anything, I can agree on the spiritual side and those, who connect Bono's lyrics to the bible, because it's very clear that a lof of his words were taken out of biblical contexts.

Btw, I started a thread on Bono and Rilke in the lyrics forum, simply because I'm interested in learning more about the connection between Bono and U2's music and poetry or the work of certain poets. Bono is reading a piece of Rilke's "Duino elegies" in the song "Oh Berlin". I know there are many parts in U2 songs where he's referring to particular works of literature, novels or poems. One thing I like about Bono is that he's an avid reader, because I'm interested in a lot of things and read a lot of books, too. It's always interesting to see what inspires him to write his lyrics, be it the bible, philosophy, poetry or travel experience.

Back
Top Bottom