U2 Jams/Extended Live Instrumentals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dal975

The Fly
I know U2 is not a jam band, but one of the recent posts got me thinking...

I always enjoy when longer extended live instrumentals (intros, outros and everything in between- just no vocals) make there all too rare appearances. I don't just mean edge solos like BTBS and UTEOTW. I mean stuff like the extended jamming at the end of Electric Co. on the vertigo tour before Bono comes in with his snippets. I just like to see the full band rocking out in unison- yes even bono with his mad guitar skills. I think my favorite U2 concert "pose" is when bono, w/guitar, turns and faces larry while the other two are in their traditional spots, and the four just rock out for 30-45 seconds, lost in their own harmony. Another good example might be the end of last nite on earth during Popmart, or even the end of Dirty Day during zoomerang. Exit is great for that too.

what are some other good ones, from individual shows as well as overall tour versions? (excluding Bad...too easy.) Any good youtube links?

hmmm...well I guess this doesn't really constitute as a Jam or instrumental or whatever....but on Slane version of One the band sort of go off and just keep playing before Bono explodes into the "Here us coming Lord...." outro verse.....and I've always loved that part, the band is really into it and just enjoying the music...and funny you should mention Bono turning his back because he does exactly this during this performance and just sort of screams with joy as he faces the band....it's a great moment, one of the highlights of the show for me, and if you watch Edge's face, he's in another world....what a moment :up:

It's around 4:00 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF1I8H14zfE

I'm sure there are more too, I'll post as I find them. :)

The Fly from U2 3D has something like that, not really a jam but they just rock out hardcore for the bit before the "Listen I've gotta go".

In fact, it happens in a fair few Fly videos, usually of the Vertigo tour variety.

They extended the outro to BD on the Vertigo Tour. Don't really know if it counts, per se, because it wasn't a one-off, and I don't think it was improvisional either.

The Fly from U2 3D has something like that, not really a jam but they just rock out hardcore for the bit before the "Listen I've gotta go".

In fact, it happens in a fair few Fly videos, usually of the Vertigo tour variety.

Yeah, the Sao Paulo 06 version of The Fly is very similiar and very excellent. It features a longer rock out bit at the end with Bono incorporating 'I Cant Get No Satisfaction'.

The Tokyo 06 version of Vertigo also feels longer too, Bono throws in a fair few snippets at the end including 'She Loves You' and the whole thing reaches a pretty big climax.

The live re-working of songs like Bad, Please and Kite has always really excited me and it was the kind of thing I was hoping for more of during the Vertigo tour. For me, many of the HTDAAB tracks didn't really develop all that much from the album cuts and as a result I found them less interesting...maybe next tour.

What about medleys? It would give the band an opportunity to include some snippets of lesser known, but still great, songs from their own catalogue. Songs like Hawkmoon, God Part II or Dirty Day seem unlikely to really be performed again and I think its a shame they should never get a look in. Even a couple of minutes from one of these songs would be better than nothing, IMO anyway.

Back
Top Bottom