U2 Isn't Radical Now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're referring to donkey punch then I agree 100%.

“people on this form are bigots” = “It’s impossible to intellectually defend conservative worldviews and positions in 2018 as they have melded with ignorance, racism, resentment, lack of empathy, and my own personal/cultural anxieties and I keep getting called out on my bullshit”

Last edited:
“people on this form are bigots” = “It’s impossible to intellectually defend conservative worldviews and positions in 2018 as they have melded with ignorance, racism, resentment, lack of empathy, and my own personal/cultural anxieties and I keep getting called out on my bullshit”

Not really. It's just pointless to offer any opinion contrary to the group think, echo-chamber circle jerk of a handful of people who spend 24 hours a day on here and happen to share a brain.

For example: I dared offer an opinion on the NFL protests a while back and I had Headache immediately calling me a Trump supporter, so by default a racist, bigot...etc and a handful of regulars on here coming out of the woodwork claiming I was an alter and being just plain asses.

It gets VERY tiring after a while, and it doesn't just apply to politics. After the album came out, there were quite a few newbies posting here that were pretty quickly driven off by the same condescending click of regulars.

By definition, Trump supporters in 2018 at least support racism politically, no matter how one tries to explain it to oneself.

Agreed with you about album opinions. People can be super harsh, and agreed that it can cross the line.

duck.gif

This show is about more than the state of our world. It is about the state of our hearts. Acrobat was more than a critique of Trump; it was a critique of our spirits. It was introduced with desire and the wheel of the seven deadly sins for a reason. Remember, we the audience are chided for losing our 'innocence' too. Sometimes I think some modern u2 fans don't really get the spiritual side of U2, and this side is just as crucial as the political side. Yes, the tour is criticizing Trump and the unloving acts he has proposed, but the point is more than a political rally; it is also a prayer, a prayer to the God Bono believes in to not let the 'light' go out.

This show is about more than the state of our world. It is about the state of our hearts. Acrobat was more than a critique of Trump; it was a critique of our spirits. It was introduced with desire and the wheel of the seven deadly sins for a reason. Remember, we the audience are chided for losing our 'innocence' too. Sometimes I think some modern u2 fans don't really get the spiritual side of U2, and this side is just as crucial as the political side. Yes, the tour is criticizing Trump and the unloving acts he has proposed, but the point is more than a political rally; it is also a prayer, a prayer to the God Bono believes in to not let the 'light' go out.

Indeed and well said.

Your post fleshes out the larger context of the structure of the show.

Ummm no??? When you say that "Christians might kick a few gays" among other ignorant generalizations, THAT'S what makes you a bigot. There's more, if we want to search your posts for all of your anti Christian sentiments, but who wants to rehash such hate and intolerance?

Ummm no??? When you say that "Christians might kick a few gays" among other ignorant generalizations, THAT'S what makes you a bigot. There's more, if we want to search your posts for all of your anti Christian sentiments, but who wants to rehash such hate and intolerance?

I know you hate context, but I’ve seen Irvine’s posts over almost a decade, and as a Christian myself, you couldn’t be anymore wrong.

I think that's brilliant, and completely true.

Hold on, saying that "Christians MIGHT kick a few gays" is a bigoted statement? Some Christians might have done worse than kick a few gays. Hell, a lot of them are still campaigning against marriage equality, against homosexual adoption, and in favour of businesses denying them service. To name a few recent examples.

Last edited:
Hold on, saying that "Christians MIGHT kick a few gays" is a bigoted statement? Some Christians might have done worse than kick a few gays. Hell, a lot of them are still campaigning against marriage equality, against homosexual adoption, and in favour of businesses denying them service. To name a few recent examples.

So to answer your initial question, yes, it is bigoted. To make a negative generalization about an entire group of people based on their religion is incredibly ignorant and you trying to justify it is embarrassing.

Would you think someone writing "muslims might kick a few gays or do much worse" is okay? Both statements are ignorant generalizations.

Do you think Trumps travel ban on predominantly Muslim countries is okay too? It's a rhetorical question, it, like the Christian and Muslim examples above is ridiculous and rooted in bigotry.

As for your examples of christians that back your narrative, how about the lead singer of the bands fan page you are posting on, would he "kick a few gays"? Or BVS, would he/she "kick a few gays"?

A thread that could have led to an interesting conversation about an always political band who is now in the twilight of their career and the the weight given to politics in the live show was derailed by AXs absurd and uncalled for attack on Rachel and is now to a point of defending bigotry.

Last edited:
So to answer your initial question, yes, it is bigoted. To make a negative generalization about an entire group of people based on their religion is incredibly ignorant and you trying to justify it is embarrassing.

Would you think someone writing "muslims might kick a few gays or do much worse" is okay? Both statements are ignorant generalizations.

Do you think Trumps travel ban on predominantly Muslim countries is okay too? It's a rhetorical question, it, like the Christian and Muslim examples above is ridiculous and rooted in bigotry.

As for your examples of christians that back your narrative, how about the lead singer of the bands fan page you are posting on, would he "kick a few gays"? Or BVS, would he/she "kick a few gays"?

A thread that could have led to an interesting conversation about an always political band who is now in the twilight of their career and the the weight given to politics in the live show was derailed by AXs absurd and uncalled for attack on Rachel and is now to a point of defending bigotry.

What the poster is deliberately ignoring is how right wing politicized Christianity has manifested itself in the US. There is a long, long history of Christians using elected leaders to kick gays. Where do we begin? What religion practices conversion therapy? Shuts down adoption agencies rather than comply with anti-discrimination laws? Think clerks can refuse to issue a marriage license if it violates their beliefs? Can refuse to bake a cake for someone? I’ve met many, many gay people who have been deeply wounded by their churches, who have been in Christian “therapy,” who don’t speak to parents or siblings because they have been cut out of their lives because of religion.

Of course, if we want to remove all this context, it can be presented as “all Christians kick gays” — but that’s a deliberate distortion of what I’ve said then, now, and in the future. Of course it’s not ALL Christians. The point is so obvious it doesn’t even need to be said. It is right wing political Christianity that still kicks gays when they can, and they will have politicians who will let them so long as the votes are there.

Anyway, go back and read all my posts on the topic since, like, 2004. I’m perfectly willing to defend them.

Last edited:
Flamethrower? Really? I don’t get people who allow the political machine to impact their happiness. All politicians on BOTH SIDES are crooks & liars, saying only what will get them re-elected, and in the end, nothing ever gets accomplished. Obama sucked and Trump sucks too. Poke fun at it from time to time, but overall, ignore it, and live life on your terms. You’ll be much happier. U2 seems to have embraced a similar attitude in their shows.

Flamethrower? Really? I don’t get people who allow the political machine to impact their happiness. All politicians on BOTH SIDES are crooks & liars, saying only what will get them re-elected, and in the end, nothing ever gets accomplished. Obama sucked and Trump sucks too. Poke fun at it from time to time, but overall, ignore it, and live life on your terms. You’ll be much happier. U2 seems to have embraced a similar attitude in their shows.
Yeaaaaa this is pretty much the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place.

We are not in normal times, and Trump is not your normal "they're all crooks and liars" president.

Your normal "crooks and liars" president doesn't threaten Iran with nuclear annihilation in a late night Twitter rant.

Flamethrower? I don’t get people who allow the political machine to impact their happiness.

Politics in and of itself. Maybe. But the outcome of politics affects us all. You can't escape that.

While it may be important to partition politics to a realm in the mind where you aren't twisted in knots all the time, no one can afford to bury their head in the sand and become ambivalent, that's a one way ticket to hell.

Ask any of the folks who grew up watching Hitler rise to power and how they made out when deciding not to let politics impact their happiness.

Irvine didn't say "might".

i'm sure jesus would approve of your self-righteous indignation over someone saying something unpleasant about christians, while using the same account to preach his message of how poor people are lazy and entitled and undeserving of society's help. :up:

my favourite part of the sermon on the mount is where jesus says "blessed be the poor, for they may inherit the earth if they simply work hard enough for it."

a close second is the verse where he says "do not give unto caesar what is caesar's, for caesar shall simply hand out your hard-earned money to lazy welfare queens".

Last edited:
FYM is an echo chamber? Boo-effing-hoo. If you can’t defend your viewpoint against criticism, or simply refuse to engage in any dialogue, then you are contributing to the echo chamber just as much as the evil lefties who dare suggest that perhaps you’re wrong.

Christianity and Islam have a long, ongoing history of being unkind (to put it mildly) to homosexuals because of their sexual orientation, from opposing marriage equality to punishing homosexuality by death. Please don't pretend that pointing out bigotry is bigoted.

Back
Top Bottom