U2 is getting sued, accused of ripping off guitarist's song for "The Fly" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
MANY THEFTS HERE: the U2 RIFF and EDGE'S SOLO are clearly nicked from this. So are the weird guitar sounds at the end. CLEARLY.

THIS IS THE FLY, U2 ARE A BUNCH OF PLAGIATERISTIC BASTARDS

Wow. So I love U2 and I think some of the recent song infringement lawsuits are silly but the second I heard this I thought it was Edge's demo for the Fly. IF and I mean IF the other stuff is true about this being floated around the record label then yeah they were most likely inspired by this song. That said you could be inspired by the sound a washing machine makes should the mater sue you? I think in the spirit of artistic integrity they should credit Paul - if they were inspired by his sound.

Certainly parts of this sound pretty similar to the Fly, Edge's guitar at 3 mins is a bit too similar to parts of this as well. Who knows if it's a coincidence, but you should get a few bob out of them if you did it first.

Get that money bro. Their song is too similar for it to be a coincidence.

Seems quite likely to me U2 were 'inspired' by this. The opening bassline (and the drum pattern!!) is the same, maybe not exactly but it's the same feel. It was 1989, around when U2 may well have been writing for the album. In this day and age he might win the case.
There's no way that this guy has six friends to comment in his defense. He probably set up dummy accounts. This suit is going to get laughed out of court.

U2 are probably pretty amused by this btw. This song is hilariously terrible, a million cliches all done badly. "He thinks we'd even listen to this?"

Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Bittersweet symphony all over again

TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
the 0-12-12-0-12-12-0-12-10 bass line is the only really identical thing in this song, and that's a common enough riff in rock music since at least the 70s that it will be hard to say it was THIS song that U2 took it from. the solo guitar tone is similar but i can make that tone myself right now with two pedals and a cheap amp; slide around the neck and it'll sound exactly like that.

it doesn't sound close enough to me, but if blurred lines can be considered legally to have plagiarized the "vibe" of a song, it wouldn't surprise me if some tone-deaf judge awards some cash to whoever this guy is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeekyU2Fan View Post
Bittersweet symphony all over again
fuck allen klein. that asshole broke up the beatles and the verve, nearly killed george harrison, and robbed his clients blind. the stones liked the song and didn't even want to sue the verve, that was all klein trying to add a couple more zeros to abkco's already enormous bank account at the expense of peoples' careers. he got all the money from that fiasco, not jagger and richards.

if he was still alive i'd punch him in the face. offensive political violence is always justified against nazis and allen klein.
DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #19
Refugee

yeah except Bittersweet Symphony used a sample. This track bears no relation to the Fly at all.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
Super Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
fuck allen klein. that asshole broke up the beatles and the verve, nearly killed george harrison, and robbed his clients blind. the stones didn't even want to sue the verve, that was all klein trying to add a couple more zeros to abkco's bank account.

if he was still alive i'd punch him in the face. offensive political violence is always justified against nazis and allen klein.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
yeah except Bittersweet Symphony used a sample. This track bears no relation to the Fly at all.

Yeah, nothing like BS. That was a scam.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
Irony is sometimes too real
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

also this fucking song isn't similar enough for the lawsuit. come on intro is kinda similar but thing itself is very generic that it can sound like lots of things. like parts sound like some Jeff Beck, sometimes it sounds like Allan Holdsworth ripoff, sometimes it just sounds like forgettable Joe Stariani song etc
Old 02-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
Refugee

I thought the Led Zeppelin lawsuit had way more weight than this. This is also seemingly zero evidence that any members of U2 would have even heard this song. With Led Zeppelin there were at least anecdotes of them watching Spirit perform live or something like that...
RoKKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 07:55 PM
Well it's similar even though U2 didn't sample any riffs from that other song, The other guy still claim the song to be stolen. It reminded me of the Bittersweet symphony case.
TheGeekyU2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKKeR View Post
Yeah, it's only the beginning that sounds remotely similar. To say the solo is "nearly identical" is completely ridiculous.
After that horrible Blurred Lines verdict though, I don't even know what would be safe anymore.
trevgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

DJ Shadow On World Cafe : World Cafe : NPR

at this rate DJ Shadow wont be able to make an album anymore
Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 04:55 AM
I think the start of City of Blinding Lights has some similarities with "Streets". U2 should sue themselves. 80's U2 would make s**tloads of money. (Not to mention other bands.)

I remember this, though.

Was funny. All Bono did was snippet Walking Away a couple of times. More similar than this. Much more. And Walking Away was a huge hit, if I remember correctly.
ElectricalVoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 PM   #30
Y2K
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricalVoice View Post
I think the start of City of Blinding Lights has some similarities with "Streets". U2 should sue themselves. 80's U2 would make s**tloads of money. (Not to mention other bands.)
Well, John Fogerty did get sued for ripping himself off!

Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote