U2 fan, what are you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are you?

• Atheist

Votes: 33 15.4%
  • Atheist Humanist

Votes: 19 8.9%
  • Agnostic

Votes: 47 22.0%
  • Christian

Votes: 98 45.8%
  • Other religion

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters
Come on, just as an athiest can be a rasist and christian can be. I think there alot more christian people who are against homosexual/women rights...

But why no option for "humanist Christian", for instance? Why bring that in at all? Why not just have an Atheist/Agnostic/Ignostic section?

Pretty limited poll.

Athiesm gets two categories while the majority of religions get slumped into one category.

I would say Christian but too many folks in here have told me I'm not...:scratch:

I vote for land of confusion.

I'm agnostic. I'd like to believe there is a God, and I think I could have faith in God. But I could never subscribe to religion. Much like Bono says that people die by accident of birth, I refuse to believe that certain people wouldn't get into heaven (if it exists) by accident of birth (i.e, born in another country, so they're not christian. Or born in America, so they're not Muslim for example).

So, I love U2 music, and I can understand their spirituality by the fact that they come from a different upbringing. I can accept them, because they accept everyone (ex. COEXIST). Even if Bono is singing "jesus 'round my neck." or singing about "the magnificent." Both songs which I love.

For disclosure's sake... I was brought up in a catholic household so that also might make their music more palatable to me. I will say though, that if and when their music does become overtly christian, I have to think about the song a little bit to see if I accept it not. So far, I've accepted everything I've heard.

But, I don't think I'd ever choose to listen to a Christian Rock band otherwise. Because to me, those bands are making music for the glory of Jesus Christ, and I'm just not interested.

U2 seems to have a wider variety of topics to create music about, though God is a part of it, and I don't think they're a "Christian Rock" band in the sense that I'm talking about it.

I lost my faith in God after those Rick Rubin singles were released. :sad:

This poll is indeed limited.

Anyway, I can understand where agnostics come from, but I think atheists are just fooling themselves.

U2 are unashamingly Christian I always kinda wondered what their atheist fans think of the fact a lot of their music is spiritual and whether they have any atheist fans at all

:|

Yet atheists and agnostics outnumber Christians in this poll. U2 is incredibly popular in countries where the population isn't particularly Christian/religious.

Also, I wonder what Adam Clayton would think about being in a "Christian band".

Christian, but not of the typical American evangelical variety. I'm far more liberal theologically, politically, etc. than what many would consider "Christian." I just try to love Jesus and people.

Atheism is either the positive belief that no deity exists, the rejection of the belief that at least one deity exists, or simply the absence of this belief.

Humanism is a broad category of ethical philosophies that affirm the dignity and worth of all people, based on the ability to determine right and wrong by appealing to universal human qualities, particularly rationality, without resorting to the supernatural or alleged divine authority from religious texts

Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, ghosts, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove. It is often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism,[1] though it is not a religious declaration in itself.

Personally I regard myself as a Secular Humanist.

I've always loved the soundbite from Bono, "we draw our fish in the sand". Referring to persecution times in the roman empire, where chrstians would draw half an Ichthys in the ground, and if an other person completed it they would now they both were christians.

It tells me that U2 do care as to the depth and meaning of their work, yet they don't trouble themselves to label it as "Christian", making it accesible to all. And that's trully important, that the truths and morals of any belief are beyond it. They are universal and souhld not be taught as dogma, but as pure basic knowledge.

:wave:

Also, I wonder what Adam Clayton would think about being in a "Christian band".

I thought he was recently baptized or something? I could have sworn that he switched over to Christian (or at the very least, agnostic) a few years back. :scratch:

Where are da PLEBANS to confirm my guessings??

I thought he was recently baptized or something? I could have sworn that he switched over to Christian (or at the very least, agnostic) a few years back. :scratch:

Where are da PLEBANS to confirm my guessings??

I don't know if he ever confirmed anything, but in "Bono: In Conversation", Bono insinuated that he's now a Christian. I have the book, but I don't really feel like trying to find it to look for the quote now.:lol: I suppose it doesn't really matter. If he did, that's awesome, if not, things have worked between the band for the past 30 years, so they're doing something right.

Not really. I think you have to walking in the Spirit of Christ to understand what Bono is talking about in a song like "Yahweh."

I disagree. Everyone is capable of understanding and appreciating for that matter. Choosing to believe and/or follow something is a whole different story.

So you realy need to believe that Harry Potter is for real to understand the movie?

:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom