U2 facebook following...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_digg

The Fly
Why? The band is barely in the top 10 of 'classic' rockbands. They have just launched the largest online album launch in rock history and have only gained roughly 100k followers?

Please explain....

Is this a gauge of the albums success?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They're old. They could release the album of the century and it wouldn't make a difference to the perception/response. The album seems to have been well received by the fan base which is an effort in itself.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Why? The band is barely in the top 10 of 'classic' rockbands. They have just launched the largest online album launch in rock history and have only gained roughly 100k followers?

Please explain....

Is this a gauge of the albums success?

If nothing else, it is a good sign. They are in their 50s, their last album did NOT expand their fan base like the previous two albums before NLOTH. It means they have potentially 100k more fans than they did a month ago and this will only grow as the real promotional machine gets geared up.

As sad as it is, it is one of the many new gauges to determine an artists success/appeal. For someone like U2, it's not the main one, that would be touring, but its one of them.

Another interesting gauge is the number of 5 star ratings for the album on iTunes. NLOTH had about ~1,700 5 star reviews, most of which are from hardcore fans (like most albums from any artist). However, SOI has over 10k 5 star reviews, which means people outside of the diehards are really liking the album. You can't look at the 1 star reviews because 1/4 are because they couldn't download it, 1/4 are "out of principle" because "U2 put this album on my iphone" and I would estimate another 1/4 are non-U2 fans who would like it if they made Joshua Tree Part 2. Don't get me wrong, there are legitimate 1 star reviews from people who don't like the album but their is too much "noise" in the total number.

I do agree that with the massive amount of attention the release garnered, worldwide, 100k additional FB likes isn't a lot but give it time.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Great info guys. I just find it curious older bans have many more likes (most do not exist anymore) and even bands i dont consider even in the same league but the same vintage have way more followers: see bon jovi etc

Great info guys. I just find it curious older bans have many more likes (most do not exist anymore) and even bands i dont consider even in the same league but the same vintage have way more followers: see bon jovi etc

Bon Jovi's biggest demographic: Soccer moms, out of the older demographics, soccer moms have Facebook pages.

Defunct bands will usually have bigger nostalgic followings too.

Humans love dead people--especially if they consider them past their prime.
Right now it's "cool" not to like U2.
Unfortunately, when the inevitable, happens and one of the members passes away, the ambulance chasers will be coming out of the woodwork to fake their lifelong dying loyalty and soak-up every moment of their career; as if they were somehow a part of it.

This.

I've abandoned Facebook for two years now. It serves no purpose that other alternative, more traditional and private methods of socializing can't do.

That's not what I was referring to... I meant people of a younger age use other methods of social media now instead. It's a twitter Instagram world now... until the next one comes around

Back
Top Bottom