U2 Dublin Travel Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Still_Running44

The Fly
Hey Everyone,

This my be the wrong section to post this, admins feel free to move...

My wife and I are traveling to Ireland in April and will be spending 4 days in Dublin. I wanted to check in with you guys and see if you had any must see U2 sites in Dublin. I have already looked through the atu2.com (may be a little out dated)Dublin guide and got some good ideas from there.

For those of you who have gotten to meet them at the studio, any tips for that as far as where to be and hang out- hopefully album is done by April and they are out of the studio, but we all know it probably won't be :)

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks so much.

These aren't U2 sites, but I enjoyed these places:

There is an outdoor market in Temple Bar every Saturday. There are stands with books, pins, food, etc. It kinda stretches through all of Temple Bar. The Irish Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Temple Bar, also. I thought that was interesting. There is a little U2 included in that. :sexywink:

The Guinness factory is a must. You can spend a great deal of the day there and it's very well done. If you want to eat in one of the restaurants, you will have to make reservations, unless you don't mind the cafeteria.

We took a day trip out to Howth. It's a short train ride and it's a neat little town on the sea.

Thing is right now they're not recording in Hanovar Quay but at Adam's house. But I agree, that's creepy. Just hang out in bars, chances of meeting Bono there are probably equally good ;)
I really liked The Church. Even if it's not U2 themed anymore, it's still a pretty cool place. Oh and that record store on the edge of Temple Bar is nice. Can't think of the name right now but I guess it's probably in all the various U2 guides.

I would :

-Be visiting HQ and leaving a little a nice message on the wall, or if you are an artists, go all out and stencil /spraypaint something if you dare. Should be on every U2 fans to do list!

-Take a picture with the Cedarwood Road SIGN! :) That's not half as creepy as a house where said singer used to live in.

-I recommend visiting Howth if you are a nature/animal lover. They have cute Grey Seals swimming / chilling in the harbour there.

-Same applies to this: If your an outdoorsy person: Take a hike/ walk on Killiney hill and beach. One becuase its beautifull there, and as a bonus, members of U2 have been known to take walks there. They even instagrammed some pics from there etc. So who knows.
At least your walking on the same beach as they did :wink: Oh my!

Howth is absolutely brilliant to visit, nice little harbour town (go find the seals, there's 4 regular visitors!) with a good chippie. Walking all the way up the hill is quite a challenge on a warm day, but worth the view.

Killiney is also a very nice area if you like nature. The beach is nice and quiet, then the walk up the hill has a great viewpoint and the route to Dalkey is a nice walk.

More touristy stuff, Guinness Storehouse is brilliant, Jameson tour was nice too, the Dublin Zoo is pretty neat (Phoenix park itself as well), there's a LOT of churches around with tours and everything.

U2 related things, Hannover Quay is the best bet to meet the band, even though they're not recording there right now. But it's nice to go there anyway, to take in the atmosphere, read the graffiti there from fans all over the world. The old Windmill Lane studio was nearby but I think it has since been demolished.

Another sorta U2 related thing I would suggest is go visit Kilmainham Gaol/Jail. It's where A Celebration was filmed and a very impressive place to go. Don't forget to wear red pants! :p

Don't forget to wear red pants! :p

:love: You didn't forget the most important part.

Also, Trinity college library is one of the most beautiful old library's around. also worth a visit if your into history.

It's a bit of a gimmick, if you will, but The Irish Rock 'n' Roll Museum Experience is fun, and there'll be a handful of U2 nods, items, etc.

Ditto The Little Museum - they have a room full of U2 stuff, which is cool, and the museum is worth a look.

And if you're going to Christchurch Cathedral anyway, get some fish n chips from Burdocks around the corner! Best chippie in town, even U2 eat there (along a giant list of other famous stars).

http://dublindifferently.com/our-tours/walking-tours/u2-tour/

Im going to dublin on Friday and have booked this tour. Ill let you know how it goes. Gonna go to cedarwood road aswell which is a 20 minute bus ride outside the city center

Had a great time in Dublin, stayed at the clarence which was really nice. I catched a taxi to cedarwood road in the end. Cost 30 euros from the clarence to cedarwood road then we got dropped off at the gusiness factory. Dont a bad price at all and the taxi driver turned into a tour guide for us :). Its about 15 minutes from the city center.

The dublin differently tour was superb. I would recommend it to anyone.

http://dublindifferently.com/our-tours/walking-tours/u2-tour/

Its a tour round Dublin to all the u2 landmarks. From the clarence, to various old theatres that the band played in their early years. To video shoot sites, one included in this was the street were the sweetest thing video was filmed. You go to the recording studios aswell.

The tour guide Sean is perfect for the job. Passionate about u2 and such an easy going person. It really was worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom