U2 Drunk - dissing Phil Collins - Billboard Awards 1992

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30iiamw.gif

:love:

It's only month 7 but I think it's safe to say we have a winner for most pointless drawn out thread of the year...

If this gets beat, we're gonna have a doozie of a thread on our hands.

It's only month 7 but I think it's safe to say we have a winner for most pointless drawn out thread of the year...

If this gets beat, we're gonna have a doozie of a thread on our hands.

You read THAT thread. That completely pointless argument had OVER 40 FUCKING PAGES.

I'm offended by that video too. :madwife:

Only because they look so young. So was I back then. What happened?

Clearly U2 members have a great sense of humor. The JT era represented them as this super-serious band. But one only need watch that horrible "Godfather" rendition they did (during the JT era) to see their joking style. And the numerous little skits they've done since (see recent Lettermah "Elevator music" skit) only substantiates the point. To be good at humor, some self-deprecation is required. :)

Still offended though. :madwife:

I wasn't offended by the video but it wasn't clear to me if this was rehearsed or not. To call someone a dimwit because s/he writes that it's not clear if it's a rehearsed joke or not is just rude. :doh:

Awwwww poor boo boo :therethere:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

financeguy said:
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Ok is this a setup? :hmm: Because I dont think Ive ever seen an Interferencer express themselves so exuberantly about Phil and Genesis, at least in a positive way. Great post, either way.

At any rate, on the assumption that youre not being sarcastic, I agree with quite alot of that..QUITE..really old Genesis, while great art , never resonated with me as much as the later years. They were very talented though, and great performers.

Land of Confusion got *alot of radio play, and I had to give it a break for a bit..but it was huge. In Too Deep I have had that song in my head since the day I first heard it. Amazing track.

I draw the line at Sussudio though...I think he had better, on that album even. It was a fun tune to crank though, no doubt. Im a bigger fan of his first two solo records, they hit me just at the right time and I felt those 2 more deeply.

I think youre on to something with the solo vs band thing, and maybe thats another reason I liked the first two..they had that full band feel about them, very lush and epic.

Ok is this a setup? :hmm: Because I dont think Ive ever seen an Interferencer express themselves so exuberantly about Phil and Genesis, at least in a positive way. Great post, either way.

At any rate, on the assumption that youre not being sarcastic, I agree with quite alot of that..QUITE..really old Genesis, while great art , never resonated with me as much as the later years. They were very talented though, and great performers.

Land of Confusion got *alot of radio play, and I had to give it a break for a bit..but it was huge. In Too Deep I have had that song in my head since the day I first heard it. Amazing track.

I draw the line at Sussudio though...I think he had better, on that album even. It was a fun tune to crank though, no doubt. Im a bigger fan of his first two solo records, they hit me just at the right time and I felt those 2 more deeply.

I think youre on to something with the solo vs band thing, and maybe thats another reason I liked the first two..they had that full band feel about them, very lush and epic.

That's very interesting - thanks for sharing.

Id been disappointed in the lack of American Psycho comments, since Sussudio was brought up days ago.

MrsSpringsteen said:
He should do an all new version of In The Air Tonight that's secretly about U2

I can feel a crisis in the air tonight
Oh lord
I've been waiting for this moment all my life
Oh lord
Can you hear nostalgia in the air tonight
Oh lord

If you were drowning I would not lend a hand
You've made fun of me before, but you don't know who I am
Well I went to your show, I saw what you did with my own two eyes
You played just the hits