U2 Drunk - dissing Phil Collins - Billboard Awards 1992

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that it's pretty hard to interpret obvious comedy as anything else but obvious comedy. If people take offense or take comedy too seriously, this is what we call a lack of sense of humour. Do you honestly think Phil had intense jealousy over the fact that U2 outsold his tours, or that he truly looked down on them as a bunch of drunken Irishmen? That he would really want to open for U2?? If you do, you don't understand the humour in taking a few lighthearted shots at each other's soft spots. HE IS IN ON THE JOKE! There IS no other valid interpretation, it's not a matter of opinion.

The fact is, there is no evidence in this thread so far (or the 5 or six others that have started in recent years using this video as "proof") that Phil had anything against U2, or that U2 had anything against Phil. You're asking me to predict a state of mind of Adam or Edge if they did in fact have something against Phil, and to suggest what they might have said if they did in fact want to diss him. It's just a patently silly argument.

I understand the points your making and certainly now think its more likely to have been light hearted. But the fact that it can be interpreted differently is understandable. It is valid to have a different opinion or interpretation of what went on given what was said. This was NOT a rehearsed skit. Its NOT a matter of 2 + 2 = 4. It is easy to see how it could have been interpreted differently.

Since you are so assured that it was NOT a dis, I thought for sure you would at least have some vague idea of what would be a dis.

If they had simply said, "Larry could not make it. We love your music Phil." Then obviously, there would be nothing to dispute.

You claim this has been brought up here six times before which is just another way of showing that the situation was such that different opinions or interpretations of what occured is reasonable.

I would surmise that this had been brought up six times before, all by yanks. (A lot of) you yanks just don't get what taking the piss is. Stop being so literal!

I understand the points your making and certainly now think its more likely to have been light hearted.

Ok so...when you first saw it and recorded it, you thought it was in good fun. Somewhere along the way, you started believing it could be a diss. Then, in jabbering back and forth with me about it, you've come back around to believing it was in good fun. :huh:

But the fact that it can be interpreted differently is understandable.

It precisely isn't understandable, in fact it's bordering on delusion.

It is valid to have a different opinion or interpretation of what went on given what was said. This was NOT a rehearsed skit. Its NOT a matter of 2 + 2 = 4. It is easy to see how it could have been interpreted differently.

It's right there on the freakin' video! It's hilarious, and it's clear they are both taking the piss. There was no bitter feud before or after, and noone made a huge deal about it. Everyone laughed. Ha-ha. And to this day I can't figure out why anyone feels the need to create this theory that U2 somehow wanted to publicly diss Phil Collins. Like, why? It makes no sense. Yes, they had said before (or maybe it was years later, can't remember) that they disliked prog-rock, and Genesis was prog-rock. But by that point, Phil was a solo pop artist, and they were pop musicians also. They even have a couple songs (Red Light and Surrender spring to mind) that sound somewhat similar to some of his earlier solo stuff. There's just no basis to believe they hated him or his music and so wanted to publicly diss him on national television.

Since you are so assured that it was NOT a dis, I thought for sure you would at least have some vague idea of what would be a dis.

This is such an illogical argument. "The getaway car was blue" "Are you sure it wasn't red?" "No, it was blue." "But how can you be sure? What would it have looked like if it was red?" "I dunno, a fire truck?" "Are you saying a getaway car can't look red?" :banghead: You're asking me to speculate on what they might have said if they did in fact hate Phil's music and did in fact feel so inclined as to publicly diss the person handing them a freakin award?? Really??

Fine, I'll play along, borrowing inspiration from other posters in this thread who actually don't like Phil:

"Hey Phil - we've got alot in common...for instance, we used to have really bad hair, us two. The thing is...I lost my mullet...while you just LOST YOUR HAIR bwhahahahaha" :rimshot:

"Hey Phil - don't cry that you didn't win any awards this year - it's not every year you can come up with a (ROLL EYES) brilliant masterpiece like, you know, Sussudio (winking and nudging each other)"

"Hey Bono and the rest of you drunken Irish twits - what's with the big puppet heads - aren't your egos big enough as it is?"

If they had simply said, "Larry could not make it. We love your music Phil." Then obviously, there would be nothing to dispute.

It would be positively yawn-worthy, and not what the producers wanted, which was something edgy and funny. Plus, they don't have to love his music to not truly want to diss him. They're taking easy funny soft shots, that they both can have a laugh about, not shooting meaningful disses his way.

You claim this has been brought up here six times before which is just another way of showing that the situation was such that different opinions or interpretations of what occured is reasonable.

So let me get this straight: If 6 dimwits posted the video of Larry saying to Bono "If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin bury it" with the caption "OMFG LARRY DISSEZ BONO ONOH!!!!111!1" on 6 different occasions, you'd say that it's reasonable to interpret it that Larry was really dissing Bono for real??

Ok so...when you first saw it and recorded it, you thought it was in good fun. Somewhere along the way, you started believing it could be a diss. Then, in jabbering back and forth with me about it, you've come back around to believing it was in good fun. :huh:

No, I said in my first post that I was "shocked by their behavior".

It precisely isn't understandable, in fact it's bordering on delusion.

Whats delusional is declaring that anyone who does not agree with ones thoughts on an issue is a dimwit and that it is not possible for another individual to have a different opinion, perspective, interpretation.

It's hilarious, and it's clear they are both taking the piss.

Did it ever occur to YOU that not everyone shares your sense of humour?

There was no bitter feud before or after, and noone made a huge deal about it.

That does not prove that someone was not offended.

There's just no basis to believe they hated him or his music and so wanted to publicly diss him on national television.

No one said they personally hated him, just that it appears they may have dissed him on international TV.

"Hey Phil - we've got alot in common...for instance, we used to have really bad hair, us two. The thing is...I lost my mullet...while you just LOST YOUR HAIR bwhahahahaha"

"Hey Phil - don't cry that you didn't win any awards this year - it's not every year you can come up with a (ROLL EYES) brilliant masterpiece like, you know, Sussudio (winking and nudging each other)"

Edge: Drummers get funny when they start singing, you know what I mean Phil?

Adam: Patty likes your music Phil and so do all our parents.

Both comments fit right in with the ones you made up above.

It would be positively yawn-worthy, and not what the producers wanted, which was something edgy and funny. Plus, they don't have to love his music to not truly want to diss him. They're taking easy funny soft shots, that they both can have a laugh about, not shooting meaningful disses his way.

This was not a scripted segment that the producers wanted to see. The band did not rehearse what they said. The band were winning an award and there was NOTHING meant to be edgy or funny about that!

Its not the first time U2 has won an award. Can you come up with another segment where U2 was recieving an award or giving and award to someone where they made similar comments?

In fact, someone mentioned that their treament of Peter Gabrial was the exact opposite. They certainly did not say that lead singers of bands get funny when they go solo, or that are parents still like you Peter.

So let me get this straight: If 6 dimwits posted the video of Larry saying to Bono "If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin bury it" with the caption "OMFG LARRY DISSEZ BONO ONOH!!!!111!1" on 6 different occasions, you'd say that it's reasonable to interpret it that Larry was really dissing Bono for real??

Apples and Oranges obviously.

Did it ever occur to YOU that not everyone shares your sense of humour?

That does not prove that someone was not offended.

1. It`s just occurred to me that some clearly have NO sense of humour.

2. Phil wasn`t offended. He lol`d

that_s_all_folks.jpg

1. It`s just occurred to me that some clearly have NO sense of humour.

2. Phil wasn`t offended. He lol`d

Ahhh, because I guess there is no such thing as people having different senses of humour.

Yep, as long as someone smiles or laughs, its an indisputable sign they were not offended.

:wink:

Speaking of apples and oranges..

Edge: Drummers get funny when they start singing, you know what I mean Phil?

Punchline: they decide to go solo..sure hope Larry`s OK!

Result: :rimshot: , laughter, hilarity ensue

Edge: lead singers of bands get funny when they go solo, you know what I mean Peter?

Peter: um...no I don`t...do elaborate?

Edge: oh cmon, you know, they...um...start wearing dresses and singing with tribal choirs?

Punchline: fail

Result: dead silence, and this:

hot_air_balloon_accident.jpg

Speaking of apples and oranges..

Punchline: they decide to go solo..sure hope Larry`s OK!

Result: :rimshot: , laughter, hilarity ensue

Peter: um...no I don`t...do elaborate?

Edge: oh cmon, you know, they...um...start wearing dresses and singing with tribal choirs?

Punchline: fail

Result: dead silence, and this:

I understand what you think about the video. But to say that its not possible for someone to have a different opinion, or interpretation about the video is absurd. Even more absurd is to claim that someone is without humour or a dimwit just because they don't agree with you.

For the record, Im not saying anything about you personally. But yes, if anyone cant see the humour being shared back and forth in that video and truly think that there is merit to the theory that U2 is seriously dissing Phil Collins, yes, they are devoid of a sense of humour and are in fact a dimwit. Yes, they are.

For the record, Im not saying anything about you personally. But yes, if anyone cant see the humour being shared back and forth in that video and truly think that there is merit to the theory that U2 is seriously dissing Phil Collins, yes, they are devoid of a sense of humour and are in fact a dimwit. Yes, they are.

Which of course very narrow in thinking and beyond absurd.

In our next exercise, I shall post a series of comedic flashcards.

In the space below, indicate which are funny, and which are arguably offensive.

Ahhh, yes, and if anyone gives an answer different than you, they are without humour, and a dimwit. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom