U2.com's latest subscription "gift"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe the delay on this set was from trying to get the rights to use Miss You from Mick Jagger!

Set looks great. Great song selection

It'd be very U2 to heavily edit it because they couldn't get the rights while the only other time they played it had no snippets.

Two more songs have been made available for download: The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone) (Live from New York) and Love Is All We Have Left (Live from Uniondale).

Good set, minus the fact they chose to include a song not played on 2015 or 2018 tours.
Also why not add the biggest setlist surprise , not even as a bonus song ?

Good set, minus the fact they chose to include a song not played on 2015 or 2018 tours.
Also why not add the biggest setlist surprise , not even as a bonus song ?

Agreed that we could use another set from these tours. And not just for Acrobat, there were all sorts of good things played (October-Bullet-Zooropa-Streets would be nice...).

I wonder if we’ll get another set next year similar to “Edge’s Picks” after U22.

Agreed that we could use another set from these tours. And not just for Acrobat, there were all sorts of good things played (October-Bullet-Zooropa-Streets would be nice...).

I wonder if we’ll get another set next year similar to “Edge’s Picks” after U22.
That would be great, actually. They could call it the "Classics" disc. That way we can have Acrobat, plus there were some other gems from both tours.

This is probably a stab in the dark, but if there is anyone who has subscribed to U2.com and will receive the live i+e CD album but doesn't want it, please pm me. I don't want to shell out $50 for it, but I'd be happy to pay something.

2 new songs out today - Invisible and Red Flag Day. RFD sounds unreal.

Agreed, RFD is a monster. That it wasn't in every E&I show must be some sort of crime.

Invisible is interesting, (a) Bono's vocal developed a bit over the tour and by including an early one (opening night, I think?) they missed some of the stuff he was doing near the end of the song by the end of the tour, and (b) how did they not capture the audience roar when the houselights come up half way through? It definitely happened when I saw it live, and on every video I saw, too. Very strange.

*Edit - I&E opened in Vancouver, not Toronto, so Invisible is not from opening night. But I still think they should have taken a later one.

Last edited:
RFD is my favorite song from the past 2 albums and the one song I was looking forward to seeing them perform when I saw them in Boston. It was a big disappointment that they did not play it. Should have been a staple of the whole tour not just played every so often.

It’s amazing how much better all these songs are live. So much more dynamic, which translates into much better storytelling.

U2.com's latest subscription "gift"

For some unknown reason, I watched like 20 minutes of Red Rocks on YouTube the other night. It was pretty great, keeping in mind the natural datedness of things. Then hearing this version of RFD, it struck me that it’s still exactly the same band playing in that style, minus the magical, bouncey wide-eyes of youth but with more elegance, style, and sophistication. The live RFD is totally worthy of that band, and kind of exactly what they should be doing.

Maybe U2 needs to just GOOYOW!

Last edited:
They still gave it their best shot, though - all the ‘18 tracks are swimming in way too many keyboards and tapes.
Sure, but U2 have been swimming in backing tracks since Unforgettable Fire. It only became an issue when people stopped liking the music as much.

The studio overcooking usually neuters the actual playing - specifically Edge. Harder to do that in a live setting. Edge comes out more live. Bono's voice is less processed and more emotional live. This makes U2 better. This is why the material from the past two mediocre albums explodes live.

you also can't yet (to my knowledge anyways) quantize a live performance in real-time, so the songs inherently sound more "human" when played live.

Sure, but U2 have been swimming in backing tracks since Unforgettable Fire. It only became an issue when people stopped liking the music as much.

The studio overcooking usually neuters the actual playing - specifically Edge. Harder to do that in a live setting. Edge comes out more live. Bono's voice is less processed and more emotional live. This makes U2 better. This is why the material from the past two mediocre albums explodes live.

Agree with you about Edge and Bono coming across more forcefully live - and I know there have been backing tracks since UF, but I can't offhand think of songs where the backing was as dominant as it is in Lights of Home or Love is Bigger. Maybe Kite? But that feels like a stretch.

I hope the final product doesn’t have the fades between songs. Is that still possible or do we have the final versions?

I hope for no fades too. Because we have to re-download the whole set every time there's a new song drop, I suspect they may ultimately be mixed so that each disc sounds like a smooth show.

I’m not even downloading the new songs at this point. Four fucks sake, just release them all already.

Agree with you about Edge and Bono coming across more forcefully live - and I know there have been backing tracks since UF, but I can't offhand think of songs where the backing was as dominant as it is in Lights of Home or Love is Bigger. Maybe Kite? But that feels like a stretch.

Lights Of Home might be an all time winner, but songs like Bad, One and With or Without You rely heavily on backing tracks. The begining of Streets, widely considered the ultimate U2 live moment, is mostly just Edge and backing tracks.

The only songs I can think of off the top of my head that don't rely heavily on tracks are songs like I Will Follow, Out of Control, Bullet.

Lights Of Home might be an all time winner, but songs like Bad, One and With or Without You rely heavily on backing tracks. The begining of Streets, widely considered the ultimate U2 live moment, is mostly just Edge and backing tracks.

The only songs I can think of off the top of my head that don't rely heavily on tracks are songs like I Will Follow, Out of Control, Bullet.

Ah - I think that comment clarified in my head what I find to be different between earlier U2 songs and the SOE tracks. Bad, One, WOWY, Streets, and many others have backing tracks that are important to the live experience, but Edge still has an important part. The thing I'm less excited about with those two SOE tracks in particular is that Edge could fall off the stage without derailing the song. That ought not to be.

So you're right, backing tracks playing as strong a role as they did in 2018 isn't what's new. What's new is Edge not having meaningful to contribute.

Last edited:
I think other than LOH, the other U2 songs that required extensive use of backing tracks was Window in the Skies. When less than 50% of the noise you hear is coming from the 4 band members, that’s not good.

I think other than LOH, the other U2 songs that required extensive use of backing tracks was Window in the Skies. When less than 50% of the noise you hear is coming from the 4 band members, that’s not good.

Ah yes, that one was mostly karaoke too. Which is a shame, I really liked the track, and a reworking to focus on the live instruments and vocals could have been fun.

I listed to Love Is Bigger... again, and when you can hear Edge at the end, you get that little riff-thing that they really should have emphasized so that this became their Hey Jude because it really could/should be. It has so much heart.

RFD sounds pretty band-centric, but I’m not a musician.

What Window in the Skies really required was a toilet to flush it down like the crap that it is.

Back
Top Bottom