U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Ax, no Womanfish...travesty. And if you're going to re-release an album that's already been re-released you have to throw in something NEW. Remixes don't count, I mean they can be cool, but give us something we can sink our teeth into.

Womanfish...that would be AWESOME to hear, no matter how raw...:sad:

Don't buy it. It really is THAT simple.

They're hoping to get new fans that weren't around buying the 20th. Let those people enjoy it, don't buy it, and don't be lame.

True. A lot of fans came around after Achtung, ATYCLB, and even Pop and HTDAAB... So, it might be cool for them to grab something like this.

I don't see this as callous or anything. I mean, they are putting on a world tour to celebrate this album, having a deluxe version release seems pretty standard. And doing a super deluxe thing is going to be for the completeist fan anyway, not the casual fan that likes WOWY, Pride and BD...

The idea that albums are living and breathing is pretty cool. Sadly one or two more rare or reworked songs may have been a deal breaker. Wave of Sorrow is amazing.

Ax hit the nail square on the head.

They could do worse than liaise with somebody outside of their immediate circle when coming up with tracklists for re-releases. Uber-fans from here, or @U2, could guide them toward curating something truly worthwhile. Some of the work in progress material on the Hansa leak from AB is amazing to hear.

Too many compilations​ and delayed subscriber gifts. It's a jungle out there.

They could do worse than liaise with somebody outside of their immediate circle when coming up with tracklists for re-releases.

Or they could just use some common sense and actually give a stuff about their fans by not doing stupid crap like releasing a concert with a bunch of songs cut. I dont understand how there isn't at least one person in the decision making process who wouldnt put their hand up and say "we cant do this".

Its one thing to ream your fans for money and U2 have always done this so I expect no less. But at least treat them with some respect in the process.

Last edited:
I dont understand how there isn't at least one person in the decision making process who wouldnt put their hand up and say "we cant do this".

Because most bands have had to make this type of decision at some point, so it's not really that big of a deal :shrug:

Either for length, content, format, etc many bands have had to trim shows when releasing live footage. Pretty simple.

I probably won't go out of my way to buy any of this. I have the 2007 Super Deluxe CD set, so the only reason I would get the new CD set would be for the remixes and the live show, but I usually don't like remixes and live show audio doesn't excite me that much (if it was a live DVD, that would be a different story).

I think they should have made one version and released it as a fan club exclusive gift. Most of the people who are going to buy this probably already bought the 20th anniversary edition.

Just posted this on @u2. Interesting viewpoints on the TJT re-releases and the reasoning for the prices.

Saturday Deluxe / 11 March 2017 | superdeluxeedition

Well yes, it costs more to print a bunch of large-sized hardcover books than it does to just press a couple more CDs.

My issue is that the Achtung set had a lot more to offer, and was even cheaper (or around the same price).

Including a restoration of Rattle & Hum (the film) would likely have been tough as I'm assuming Paramount Pictures owns the rights to it. But they certainly should have included a remastered version of the album itself as they did with Zooropa on the previous set. Because we know they're not likely to put out a separate anniversary edition of that one.

Maybe they will drop a quick rattle and hum, zooropa, pop remaster trilogy like they did with boy, October and war after the first TJT re-release.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Things that could have been included.
The Daltons Performance
Womanfish
A new doc about the album and the tour that followed?

Maybe some demos? I mean CMON the sheer amount of stuff that made it out on bootlegs you cannot tell me the lads don't have stuff back in the vaults.

There seems to be a lot of footage out there from the tour and the album AKA Outside Its America.

This just scream cash grab to me. I'd buy the book on its own but the box set with no real new stuff is not enough.

Things that could have been included.
The Daltons Performance
Womanfish
A new doc about the album and the tour that followed?

Maybe some demos? I mean CMON the sheer amount of stuff that made it out on bootlegs you cannot tell me the lads don't have stuff back in the vaults.

There seems to be a lot of footage out there from the tour and the album AKA Outside Its America.

This just scream cash grab to me. I'd buy the book on its own but the box set with no real new stuff is not enough.

Yeah, there's plenty of stuff lying around of good quality that could have been used on this.

I can understand they may not want to release really rough demos - I wish they'd give Womanfish, My Time Hasn't Come, or Move Out a release, but the band likely view them as horrendous. But the demo of Heartland was good enough to be considered for the album. The Sun Studios Session from 1987 would fit very nicely and is of excellent quality (the only reason to hold this back is if they're planning a R&H reissue, of which there is zero indication). Your suggestion of a Daltons set would be a great glimpse into the humour of the period, to try to bust the myth of "U2 got too serious". There were TV and radio sessions that are hard to acquire that would've made a lot of sense to include. The list goes on.

A thoughtful reissue was possible, something that would be attractive to people who already have the 20th anniversary deluxe edition. I have nitpicked the other reissues but I am more than glad to have bought them; this is the first U2 reissue that I really don't think delivers the goods at all.

What a stupid release. Offers barely anything new and they couldn't even include the Paris DVD and the single mix of Streets so we could completely replace the 20th anniversary box. I think this will be the first U2 release I pass on.

Last edited:
The lavish box set that ought to have been. Celebrate the era.

1 & 2. Joshua Tree proposed double album sequence
3. remaining b-sides and outtakes
4. Rattle and Hum studio tracks including b-sides and outtakes (if any)
5. Rattle and Hum Live Tracks
6 & 7. Complete Lovetown show

Perhaps it will survive as an Easter egg but that doesn't particularly help.

But if someone dismisses U2 at face value as that serious band from the 80s, the inclusion of the Daltons on the new DVD isn't going to change their mind. There are Dalton clips on Youtube for that purpose.

Agreed that the concept of Easter eggs is a bit daft. Maybe they'll include the Daltons as an Easter egg again.

The lavish box set that ought to have been. Celebrate the era.

1 & 2. Joshua Tree proposed double album sequence
3. remaining b-sides and outtakes
4. Rattle and Hum studio tracks including b-sides and outtakes (if any)
5. Rattle and Hum Live Tracks
6 & 7. Complete Lovetown show

Now...this I would buy! :hyper:

I would be way more enthusiastic about a Rattle & Hum anniversary set at this point, to be honest. A decent DVD of the movie, a Lovetown show, lots of extras, and the album itself with a bonus disk (if there's enough material, which I'm sure there is). How much time needs to pass before U2 stop being too embarrassed to acknowledge its existence properly? (See also: Pop.)

I would be way more enthusiastic about a Rattle & Hum anniversary set at this point, to be honest. A decent DVD of the movie, a Lovetown show, lots of extras, and the album itself with a bonus disk (if there's enough material, which I'm sure there is). How much time needs to pass before U2 stop being too embarrassed to acknowledge its existence properly? (See also: Pop.)

Co-signed. It really is silly how RAH got skipped in the reissues. As well as possibly denying us an official release of a Lovetown show, it also means a great song like Wild Irish Rose only exists in bootleg form.

Instead of calling this release another deluxe or anniversary edition, they should have just branded it as The Joshua Tree: The Two Americas. Incorporate the b-sides with the original songs, change up the track order and reimagine the record. Then throw a live performance on another disc. That would be something special and not just another anniversary set.

And if they really wanted to do a super deluxe set, put a R&H remaster in there. Separate the live and studio stuff like they should have to start with. Put all the studio tracks (including the b-sides) from the R&H era onto one disc, and ALL the live tracks from the film on another. Call the studio disc "Rattle & Sun" and call the live disc "Outside it's America". Include the old fan club Point Depot disc as well.

Unfortunately, restoring & including an expanded version of the R&H film in such a set is a little more complicated b/c Paramount owns all that footage, but a full video of a Lovetown performance, which U2 does own, would be nice as well.

Back
Top Bottom