U2.com – Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary Editions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoKKeR

Refugee
U2 > News > The Joshua Tree At Thirty

Holy moly. I might need that ultra vinyl box set...

large.jpg

One of the LP's has new remixes:

One Tree Hill 2017 Remix (St Francis Hotel)
Bullet the Blue Sky 2017 Remix (Jacknife Lee)
Running To Stand Still 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
Red Hill Mining Town 2017 Mix (Steve Lillywhite)
With or Without You 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
Where The Streets Have No Name 2017 Remix (Flood)

Holy shit, I didn't see this coming.

The sheer number of SKUs for this 30th anniversary release are staggering.

Let's see if I can sort this out.

There's a Remixes disc in certain editions that includes:
-One Tree Hill 2017 Remix (St Francis Hotel)
-Bullet the Blue Sky 2017 Remix (Jacknife Lee)
-Running To Stand Still 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
-Red Hill Mining Town 2017 Mix (Steve Lillywhite)
-With or Without You 2017 Remix (Daniel Lanois)
-Where The Streets Have No Name 2017 Remix (Flood)

There's also an Outtakes disc that includes all the usual oddities, but also includes:
-I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
-One Tree Hill Reprise 2017 (Brian Eno) [this is apparently different from the One Tree Hill remix]

And then we have a Madison Square Garden concert from 1987.

VINYL OR CD SUPER DELUXE BOXSET
-Album
-MSG Concert
-Remixes
-Outtakes
-B-sides
-84-page book and folio prints

2 CD DELUXE
-Album
-MSG Concert

STANDARD VINYL OR CD
-Album

DIGITAL FORMATS
-Standard, deluxe, and super deluxe

It's out June 2.

Last edited:
There's also an Outtakes disc that includes all the usual oddities, but also includes:
-I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For (Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87)
-One Tree Hill Reprise 2017 (Brian Eno) [this is apparently different from the One Tree Hill remix]

Yeah, the B-sides / Outtakes disc is identical to the second disc on the 20th anniversary edition except ISHF – Lillywhite Alternative Mix ’87 and One Tree Hill Reprise 2017 replace Streets single edit

The newer mix of Sweetest thing from Best of 80-90 is still missing

Assuming the MSG show isn't a compilation, it has to be 1987-09-28, as the show the following night didn't have SBS.

CD Tracklist (LP Tracklist isn't specified but I'd assume it's the same...)

Where The Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Trip Through Your Wires
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / Exodus (snippet)
MLK
The Unforgettable Fire
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
In God's Country
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Exit / Van Morrison's Gloria (snippet)
Help
Bad
October
New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

encore(s):
With Or Without You
Party Girl
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Spanish Eyes

Cutting out TUF, Bad and Spanish Eyes :|

Other than getting the show on disc why on earth would they edit the live show?? Almost everything else has been released before so not really all that excited about this

For love or money money money money money
Money money money money money money

And where the fuck is the new 2017 subscription gift? Still waiting for u2.com to announce what the hell it is. Seems like u2's financial interests come first and fans 2nd

and why can't they just sell a CD/Vinyl set with the Remixes and MSG show? Why force people to buy yet another copy of JT and the JT B-Sides

Adam: I feckin hate our fans.
Larry: I thought it was just me?!
Adam: No, I have utter disdain. I mean, have you ever met any of them?
Edge: Don't get me started on that Andrew fellow. He made even Jell-O shots miserable. And you guys know how much I love my Jell-O shots!
Bono: There's really only one thing we can do...
Larry: Retire?!
Adam: Make a reggae album?
Edge: Take off my hat?!
Larry: That's a hat?
Bono: No! We cut songs...
Edge: You mean to fit the format?
Adam: Because we didn't like your singing that day?
Bono: No, just because...
Larry: Feckin disdain!

Whoa, all those remixes. Weren't they only doing a new version of RHMT ?

Nice to have a live show..

Looking forward to the remixes and live show but I've spent so much on this band. Not into illegal downloading but I may just get those from someone willing to share.

Assuming the MSG show isn't a
compilation, it has to be 1987-09-28, as the show the following night didn't have SBS.

CD Tracklist (LP Tracklist isn't specified but I'd assume it's the same...)

I Will Follow
Bullet The Blue Sky

New Year's Day
Pride (In The Name Of Love)

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Cutting out TUF, Bad and Spanish Eyes :|

Would have made more sense to cut one of those since they're on R&H or UABRS and don't vary in any way that requires multiple versions. It's really stupid to cut Bad, TUF & Spanish Eyes.

Maybe it was a snippet heavy version of "Bad" and they didn't want to have to pay royalties to include it on a reissue in an edition that probably won't sell very well except among diehard fans?

There aren't any snippets on that version of Bad.

And the second version of ISHF is on Rattle and Hum(!)

Last edited:
probably so it fits on one CD.

Yeah, they obviously know they can't just release the 2 CD version with the exact same bonus disc as 10 years ago, so the concert will help shift a few extra 2 disc copies this time round while keeping it to one disc keeps the costs down. :|

I genuinely can't wait to hear the new mixes (and wish the whole album had been remixed instead of just 6 songs) but it's really hard not to be cynical about this. I mean, £100 for the 4 CD version, are you fucking mad? Even with the book and prints that's crazy.

Like Lazarus, I'm happy with the 2007 set. No-one's making me buy this so I shouldn't care so much, but it's pretty shocking.

Everything about this release is strange. The price of CD set is absurd. Over $100 for four CDs? Classic rock box sets by legacy acts are always expensive, but this is notable because it offers so little that's new, and that will keep away the very people who are likely to buy such a thing: hardcore fans. They already have the 2007 set, and probably a bootleg from the tour, too. I'm just going to assume that someone who will spend eight alternate mixes, three of which are definitely contemporary. Has anybody really been wanting these? It's a nice set, and the price of the vinyl box isn't bad considering that none of it save the album are available on vinyl. But overall there isn't much to entice fans. It's puzzling.

It would have made more sense to release the complete MSG show on vinyl, and to release a separate set of the b-sides. I'd definitely buy both of those, and "First every release of complete live album from legendary tour," and "b-sides from legendary album released together on vinyl" would get more (positive) attention than "Super expensive Joshua Tree reissue."

This band is shit at the reissue game. They did a great job of the first five albums. But when it came to Achtung Baby, their most celebrated album, the only release it on vinyl in an expensive four disc set with two LPs of remixes? Then they don't even bother with Zooropa...oh did I forget Rattle and Hum? So did they! Oi. They just need to re-release everything on vinyl, or have logical anniversary reissues like REM. It's not hard, and they'll make more money that way too.

Last edited:
I kind of want the ultra LP edition....Missed out on the 2007 editions and have since started a vinyl collection...Would be an amazing thing to have, but the price tag is certainly high.

Nice that they are offering digital options.

Dropping Bad from the live show really sucks, though.

Last edited:
original copies of TJT are cheap and as plentiful as bigots at the Republican National Convention

I wonder if the Super Deluxe dealy will be available on Apple Music. Then I won't have to spend a dime. I do kind of want that t-shirt though. Will probably be about $10 on ebay.

I kind of want the ultra LP edition....Missed out on the 2007 editions and have since started a vinyl collection...Would be an amazing thing to have, but the price tag is certainly high.

Nice that they are offering digital options.

Dropping Bad from the live show really sucks, though.

It's funny I found the vinyl version on the clearance rack at target a few years back for 6 whole dollars. I regret only buying the one.

[peeling off those dollar bills, slapping them down] $100! *$200!*

Attachments

• 100200.jpg
    100200.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom