U2, climate change and corporate concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollow Island

New Yorker
COP21 is imminent and I'm struggling to find and climate change activism that U2 have taken part of. I find this to both very odd considering their attachment to social activism, and Bono's anti-poverty work. Climate change is going to be the primary driver of monetary inequity, food and water shortages, and social upheaval so it makes sense that the band or Bono would be prominent fighters against it, yet I haven't seen them do so much as lend their names to a petition. Could this be a result of Bono's RED based corporate ties, or do you think that they can't see that climate change will be the main driver of conditions that they are ostensibly (and sensibility) against?

I'm drunk. Sorry for not being concise.

Most coherent drunk post ever

U2s support for environmental causes seems limited to Greenpeace, and even that support has been quiet for the last 20 years.. It's a good question...

I think it's a matter of focus. One might take away focus from the others. Plus how they tour might be considered hypocritical. Those that focus on climate change, are they not concerned about AIDS?

U2 still lend support to Greenpeace and pay their carbon offsets.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono once thought he could change the climate but realized he could only change the climate in himself.

I think it's a matter of focus. One might take away focus from the others. Plus how they tour might be considered hypocritical. Those that focus on climate change, are they not concerned about AIDS?

U2 still lend support to Greenpeace and pay their carbon offsets.

I remember Edge being pretty open about them buying offsets for 360, but I haven't heard anything about offsets for I+E. Has anyone else?

Well, 360 needed 8,364 giant trucks to haul around all the different stages.

I'm pretty sure the I+E stage is hauled around the country on covered wagons, so there's no need for offsets.

Somewhere in Brazil or Bolivia, a peasant is being shot for trying to poach in the forest that is offsetting U2's 360 tour. Write a song about that, Bono.

Obviously, I'm being a little fast and loose with the specifics for dramatic/comic effect, but you get the picture.

Imagine if U2 did a tour in station wagon with one road crew member, gear in the back. They would be limited to venues that had their own sound system or bars where large amplification would not be needed. It would be a very different tour, but it would be good for the environment.

If they really wanted to do that kind of thing and be good for the environment, they'd have to use a Prius.

Teslas :drool: Pretty sweet.

But seriously, I don't think a rock band should be putting attention to these things. Leave it to the scientists to figure out (not the bribed ones tho) and the politicians to figure out what to do with the data. I'm still very, very sceptical we puny humans affect the grand schedule much, so I'm pretty okay with my favourite band not going down the rabbit hole. Seeing as they already get bitched on tax avoidance and africa already, this would only give more fuel to the haters..

As long as U2 doesn't get involved in livestock or transport by sea to much. I think their carbon footprint is manageable if they pay them off.

IMHO Farmers with cows are the one's to blame for global warming:wink:
Last time I checked. U2 had only one cow following them around. Al tough I haven't seen him around this tour.

Bono once thought he could change the climate but realized he could only change the climate in himself.

:lol:

They care enough about the environment that the carbon footprint of putting on 360Tour had a direct link to killing 99.8% of the baby-fur seal population.... arseholes :angry:

just kidding... jeez!

Prius isn't really good for the environment, in fact, they have to ship it's stupid battery all over the world so it kind of defeats the purpose. Plus it looks like shit anyway.

Prius isn't really good for the environment, in fact, they have to ship it's stupid battery all over the world so it kind of defeats the purpose. Plus it looks like shit anyway.

Also, have you ever tried driving one? It's awful. I rented one this summer and it felt like a golf cart. Entering a freeway is terrible. When I got back to my super-macho Camry at home, I kept accidentally slamming the accelerator way too hard and jolting forward for a good week.

Also, have you ever tried driving one? It's awful. I rented one this summer and it felt like a golf cart. Entering a freeway is terrible. When I got back to my super-macho Camry at home, I kept accidentally slamming the accelerator way too hard and jolting forward for a good week.

No desire to ever drive one. I do cringe when i see one getting on the freeway near me because you really have to slow down and let them on if there is no room to get over for them.

Can U2 fix the Packers offense? They should really dedicate their attention to this cause.

Wait. Some other band wrote the song RELAX.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Can U2 fix the Packers offense? They should really dedicate their attention to this cause.

Wait. Some other band wrote the song RELAX.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Frankie (Aaron Rodgers) says......

No desire to ever drive one. I do cringe when i see one getting on the freeway near me because you really have to slow down and let them on if there is no room to get over for them.

ehh this might have been the case with the first model hybrids, but anything from the last couple years is different. We have a 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid and Mazda 3. The C-max is as responsive as the Mazda. Technology has come a long way in a short time.

Back
Top Bottom