U2 Catalog: Take the Survey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyNumber7

Blue Crack Addict
The U2 Catalog survey is a forum-based data project to analyze correlations in U2 fans' interests of the band's music. The primary goal is to come up with an ultimate ranking of all of U2's songs, as per what U2 fans think of as a whole. Along with this, interesting trends based upon data breakdowns of albums, eras, formats, etc. as well as trends based upon demographics will be looked into, in order to examine finer topics.

I. Introduction

After many years online as a poster of a U2 web forum, we've all had the chance to deliberate on various different rankings. We've ranked our top albums, top b-sides, top singles, etc. etc. The intention of this project is to use basic statistical analysis to rank every U2 song in order from best to worst, as per popular opinion. If you are interested in participating, please visit the subsequent section on survey enrollment.

II. Rules of the Survey

A list of all rules is included in the spoiler below. If you have any questions or need any clarifications, please post in the thread or contact me by email at u2poll+owner@googlegroups.com. Please read these carefully at least once.

- You will be given a template in a Microsoft Excel workbook format. You are to fill in the blanks for every song with a ranking from 1-10. 10 represents songs that you deem the best, 5 represents songs that you deem to be ok, and 1 represents the worst songs.

- All integers between 1 and 10 are valid song grades - if you provide decimal answers, these answers will be rounded down automatically. You are not obliged to give any amount of any number-grade.

- You must give a score for every single song, or your survey will be invalid.

- You must provide a response for fields otherwise marked "Mandatory," or your survey will be invalid.

- The list of songs has been determined by discussion in a precursor thread. This list is available in the List of Songs section. It is largely based upon songs that have been formally released in some format, with minor amendments made as per discretion.

- Songs are not repeated unless deliberation during the foundation of the survey determined the songs are sufficiently different. Therefore, the more prominent release (such as on an album versus on an EP) is considered.

- Live versions of a song are not included in this survey, unless the live version is the only version that exists. Recordings of live songs are not included in this survey. Remixes are also not included.

- Opinions of live versions of songs and remixes alike may be taken into consideration when giving a song a grade.

- Next to every song is data on what it was released on, year of release, release type, etc. You do not have to concern yourself with this when taking the survey, but it is included for your reference.

- If you feel there is an error in a data type, you can alert me by sending an email to u2poll+owner@googlegroups.com.

- If you feel a song is missing, no more additions can be made at this point.

- You are free to provide a score for a song without listening to it, if you are comfortable with the song already. If you do not know the song, you are obliged to listen to it. There is a subsequent section on access to uncommon material, should you not know where to find some of these songs.

- You are not obliged to score the songs in any particular order.

- The formulation of this survey was based in this thread: U2 Catalog: The Ultimate Ranking Survey

III. List of Songs

There are 265 songs in this survey. They are displayed in the spoiler tag below. This is included for your reference, but you do not need to visit this list. You should refer to your survey template/handout for all songs that require a grade.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock
"40"
4th of July
Acrobat
Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk / Korova 1
All Along the Watchtower
All Because of You
All I Want is You
Always Forever Now
Always
Angel of Harlem
Angels Too Tied to the Ground
Another Day
Another Time, Another Place
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Babyface
Bad
The Ballad of Ronnie Drew
Bass Trap
Beach Sequence
Beat on the Brat
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Ghost / Introductions to Songs of Experience
Big Girls are Best
Blow Your House Down
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Boy/Girl
Breathe
Bullet the Blue Sky
California (There is No End to Love)
Cartoon World
An Cat Dubh
Cedars of Lebanon
Cedarwood Road
A Celebration
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
City of Blinding Lights
Corpse (These Chains Are Too Long)
Crumbs from Your Table
The Crystal Ballroom
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Dancing Barefoot
A Day Without Me
Deep in the Heart
Desert of Our Love
Desire
A Different Kind of Blue
Dirty Day
Disappearing Act
Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
Don’t Take Your Guns to Town
Down All the Days
Drowning Man
Drunk Chicken/America
The Electric Co.
Electrical Storm
Elevation
Elvis Ate America
Elvis Presley and America
Endless Deep
Even Better than the Real Thing
Everlasting Love
Every Breaking Wave
Everybody Loves a Winner
Exit
Fast Cars
Fez - Being Born
Fire
The First Time
Flower Child
The Fly
The Fool
Fortunate Son
Get On Your Boots
Gloria
God Part II
Gone
Grace
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Hallelujah Here She Comes
The Hands that Built America
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Hawkmoon 269
Heartland
Heaven and Hell
Helter Skelter
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Holy Joe
I Believe in Father Christmas
I Fall Down
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
I Will Follow
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
I'm Not Your Baby
If God Will Send His Angels
If You Wear that Velvet Dress
In God's Country
In a Little While
Indian Summer Sky
Instant Karma!
Into the Heart
Invisible
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Is that All?
Ito Okashi
J. Swallo
Kite
Lady with the Spinning Head
Last Night on Earth
Lemon
Levitate
Like a Song…
Love Comes Tumbling
Love is Blindness
Love Rescue Me
Love and Peace or Else
Love You Like Mad
Lucifer's Hands
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
MLK
Magnificent
A Man and a Woman
Mercy
Miami
Miracle Drug
The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
Miss Sarajevo
Mofo
Moment of Surrender
Mothers of the Disappeared
Mysterious Ways
Native Son
Near the Island
Neon Lights
New Year's Day
New York
Night and Day
No Line on the Horizon
North and South of the River
North Star
Numb
The Ocean
October
Oh Berlin
One
One (ft. Mary J. Blige)
One Step Closer
One Tree Hill
Ordinary Love
Original of the Species
Out of Control
Paint it Black
Peace on Earth
The Playboy Mansion
Please
Plot 180
Pop Muzik
Pride (in the Name of Love)
Promenade
Race Against Time
Raised by Wolves
Red Hill Mining Town
Red Light
The Refugee
Rejoice
Rise Up
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Running to Stand Still
The Saints are Coming
Salome
Satellite of Love
Saturday Night
Scarlet
Seconds
Shadows and Tall Trees
She's a Mystery to Me
Silver and Gold
Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
Slow Dancing
Slow Dancing (ft. Willie Nelson)
Slug
Smile
So Cruel
Some Days are Better than Others
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
Song for Someone
A Sort of Homecoming
Spanish Eyes
Speed of Life
Stand Up Comedy
Staring at the Sun
Stateless
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Stories for Boys
Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)
Stranger in a Strange Land
Street Mission
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Summer Rain
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Surrender
Sweetest Thing
Theme from Let's Go Native
Theme from The Swan
Things to Make and Do
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Three Sunrises
Tomorrow
Touch
Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl
Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop)
Trip Through Your Wires
The Troubles
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
Twilight
Two Hearts Beat as One
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
Unchained Melody
The Unforgettable Fire
United Colours
Unknown Caller
Until the End of the World
Van Diemen's Land
Vertigo
Viva Davidoff
Volcano
Wake Up Dead Man
Walk On
Walk to the Water
The Wanderer
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
When I Look at the World
When Love Comes to Town
Where Did it all Go Wrong?
Where the Streets Have No Name
White as Snow
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Wild Honey
Window in the Skies
Winter
Wire
With a Shout
With or Without You
Xanax and Wine
Yaweh
Yoshino Blossom
Your Blue Room
Zoo Station
Zooropa

IV. Access to Uncommon Material

Most material should either be accessible through your own collection, or through free streaming services such as Spotify or YouTube. For songs that are uncommon or perhaps difficult to find, it in all likelihood exists on YouTube. If you cannot find it, an "uncommon material" playlist on YouTube has been crafted for your use. It is provided here at the end of this section. Some songs are not on YouTube - their links are provided below the playlist. If you are still unable to find something and it is not included in this playlist, please contact me at U2poll+owner@googlegroups.com, or post in the thread. I sincerely apologize if any of the provided songs are subpar quality, but had to throw together the YouTube playlist rapidly.

Uncommon Material YouTube Playlist
Down All the Days
Drunk Chicken / America
Everybody Loves a Winner
Instant Karma
Near the Island
Oh Berlin

V. Survey Enrollment and Delivery

In order to enroll and request a survey, you should send an email to u2poll+subscribe@googlegroups.com, accept the google group invitation, and be sure to follow the confirmation email afterwards to verify your enrollment. Alternatively, if you are a late add-on, you can contact me directly at u2poll+owner@googlegroups.com and request a survey. This survey will be delivered via an email attachment as a Microsoft Excel .xlsx file. Therefore, you must have access to Microsoft Excel. When you are completed with your survey, you should send your survey back in in an Excel file to u2poll+owner@googlegroups.com.

VI. Dates and Deadlines

The survey is officially live at the point of the publication of this topic. The date is November 25th, 2017. The closing date of this survey will follow the following end criteria:

- 20 days have past (December 20th, 2017)
- Approximately 80% of the initial enrollment pool has submitted
- The rate of submission per week has dropped below 5% of the overall enrollment pool

VII. Topics to be Examined

The data taken from this survey holds two dimensions: demographics, and song data types. Demographics considered include your age, gender, nationality (to be viewed on a continental scale), post counts, how long you've been a U2 fan, and how many U2 shows you've seen. We can use these measures to see if there's any relationships between such demographics and how we feel about specific songs or subsets of songs. As for song data types, we can take a look at various different interesting groupings of songs - such as b-side material, songs U2 has covered, etc. etc.

I will choose the most obvious sets of data to present once the survey has been completed. It is important to understand that there might not be any trends in certain topics we look at. There's also an infinite amount of ways we can shuffle the data. By examining your survey sheet, you can use your imagination and request specific topics be examined - I should be able to churn out data upon request instantly.

Last edited:
Great work Lucky. This should be fun and potentially pretty insightful if we get decent numbers.

One question/concern. Participants could have two different approaches to their rating.

a. Rating a song based on it's quality within the U2 catalogue. Someone may rate A Celebration for example, in their worst 10% of songs, and rate it 1/10, comparatively against all other U2 songs.

b. Rating a song against all songs by all artists. Someone may have a tendency towards enjoying pretty much anything that U2 releases. So this person equally dislikes A Celebration, but rates it 3/10 because they can conceive of worse songs that other artists have released. This person, given their tendency towards U2's music, may have a lot of 9s and 10s compared with someone adopting the alternative approach.

Not a major issue, just a technicality that may influence results.

One question/concern. Participants could have two different approaches to their rating.

a. Rating a song based on it's quality within the U2 catalogue. Someone may rate A Celebration for example, in their worst 10% of songs, and rate it 1/10, comparatively against all other U2 songs.

b. Rating a song against all songs by all artists. Someone may have a tendency towards enjoying pretty much anything that U2 releases. So this person equally dislikes A Celebration, but rates it 3/10 because they can conceive of worse songs that other artists have released. This person, given their tendency towards U2's music, may have a lot of 9s and 10s compared with someone adopting the alternative approach.

Not a major issue, just a technicality that may influence results.

Your concern is one of statistics. This is all just how I analyze the data. There are some options, however it's important to understand that if someone has a bias, that's actually a result. If someone say, for example, thinks all U2 songs are 10's, there are a few options for interpretation. Deviation analysis can be conducted (is this person a certain amount of standard deviations from the rest of the group? This data set could statistically justifiably be eliminated). Normalization can be conducted (that is to say, if user A has an average rating of 5 and user B has an average rating of 9, we can move 9 down to 5 for user B just so they're comparable). The latter method would require that we are "normally" distributed. If everyone has a bias, it's a result. That's to say... if everyone has an average rating of 9, a formal conclusion is "U2 fans struggle to discern value of songs."

Don't worry about the numbers - I'll be sure to take care of them as best I can!

Sounds like you've got it all covered. I don't doubt you'll do a grand job! You are Lucky Numbers after all (not to be confused with the legendary nipples/numbers).

Man this is complicated. :lol: Do I need to go back to the original email then to the page then to the attachment just to get to it? It shows up as an attachment, but do we need to open it and edit in google sheets??? :confused:

Man this is complicated. :lol: Do I need to go back to the original email then to the page then to the attachment just to get to it? It shows up as an attachment, but do we need to open it and edit in google sheets??? :confused:

Good lord whatever you do don't open it and edit in google sheets.

It's not difficult at all. You open an excel file. You fill in numbers. You email it back. It's simple.

Is Soon missing? I have my catalogue on shuffle and I’m ranking them as they come up, but I didn’t see Soon on the form- is there a reason?

Appears that it is. Seems to be missing during the review. Don't know why (probably an accident) it was omitted.

Anyways, as stated in the first post, it's too late to fix. We will be fine without Soon, but if something catastrophic is missing, more action can be taken.

Thanks for noticing it - I'll be sure to note it in the results.

sweet. this looks so much like a work spreadsheet that i will be able to freely procrastinate with this all week and nobody will be the wiser. :up:

I might have counted An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart as one track, but other than that, this looks great. Already started listening/rating!

this is really fun so far and requires a bit more thought than i expected. for what it's worth i'm basing my scale on u2 songs only - as in 1 is equivalent to the worst song the band has ever made, not the worst song anyone has ever made. hopefully i'm doing this right.

As previously mentioned in the prompt, 10/5/1 and grades in between are loosely defined. You're free to interpret it as you wish. Nobody is required to believe 5 should be the average value of ratings. You can give multiple 10s and 1s or no 10s and no 1s. It's up to you. Don't let anyone sway your method of grading!

Thanks for doing this, and offering the excuse to listen to some of these songs again. I never cared for Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long), but now after a thoughtful listen, I kinda really dig it. Fun to find these gems in songs I previously discarded.

Your concern is one of statistics. This is all just how I analyze the data. There are some options, however it's important to understand that if someone has a bias, that's actually a result. If someone say, for example, thinks all U2 songs are 10's, there are a few options for interpretation. Deviation analysis can be conducted (is this person a certain amount of standard deviations from the rest of the group? This data set could statistically justifiably be eliminated). Normalization can be conducted (that is to say, if user A has an average rating of 5 and user B has an average rating of 9, we can move 9 down to 5 for user B just so they're comparable). The latter method would require that we are "normally" distributed. If everyone has a bias, it's a result. That's to say... if everyone has an average rating of 9, a formal conclusion is "U2 fans struggle to discern value of songs."

Don't worry about the numbers - I'll be sure to take care of them as best I can!

Rasch analysis would take care of that problem, which should be conducted whenever you are measuring something. After transforming the data to logits on a scale, then you can run your other analysis.

Cool project! :up:

Last edited:
As stated before, remixes, live versions, etc. are to be considered the same song unless otherwise chosen (collaborations tended to get picked).

Everyone, the point has been made. The time for having wagered for other songs was the prior thread. Unless something totally catastrophic is missing, we can't make any change now.

Are we allowed to rate songs with .25, .5, and .75 or do they have to be whole numbers? For example, I gave a song 9.25

No, only integer values are valid grade results. Please refer to the rules of the survey on the first post - any result you provide must be an integer value between 1 and 10.

No, only integer values are valid grade results. Please refer to the rules of the survey on the first post - any result you provide must be an integer value between 1 and 10.

Again I will recommend the Rasch model. It will even take care of missing data on items (here songs). I really think it would be cool to make a real measurement on this. The raw data of the form that will be collected here are, in fact, not measurements. But they can be measured.

With 30 respondents you could place songs on a linear scale. But the raw data collected here will not be linear (like a ruler), and it does not make sense to conduct any parametric analysis on them at all.

With Rasch you would detect any data/items (Where the Strees Have no Name) that do not fit the definition of measurement (i.e. a song (Where the Streets Have no Name) that that do not fit the model). You can even test for invariance and dimensionality, and it will eliminate any "problems" that any Interference-Blue-Crack-user can come up with.

But anyway ... I'm probably a nerd ;). :doh:

I do this in my job, but never thought of doing it with my hobby and passion U2.

Would be cool, though ...

:drool:

Can't wait to hear the new album. I have not listened to the leak. Friday is coming ... Oh, fuck ...

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not super familiar with using Google Docs. #old

Am I supposed to download it to my own computer, fill it out and email it back to you? Or is there a way I fill it out online like a shared doc?

You're supposed to download it and fill it out and re-upload it. I have a strong personal vendetta against google docs, having worked as a team editor for a group of 20+ people all summer.

Technically you can happily fill it out in google sheets if you want, on your own google drive. Might drive me up the wall with delivering it, but it could work.

But the intention is for you to use Excel. I really don't care how you submit the response as long as everything is answered in a common cell format that allows me to copy your column of responses and put it into a master sheet with everyone's responses on it.

Back
Top Bottom