U2 best trio of songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure that if we ever do another Worst Song Survivor, Stand Up Comedy will make the "top" ten.

"Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady" is unforgivable.

Actually the line in itself isn't so awful, there's something there, I get it. But I've never to this day listened to the song in question, so it must be bad, right, gang?

Actually the line in itself isn't so awful, there's something there, I get it. But I've never to this day listened to the song in question, so it must be bad, right, gang?

The little old lady line is stupid, but i agree it's not awful. There is an intelligent statement in there. For me the worst line is "God is love, and love is evolution's very best day". Shudders...

I just have a hard time deciding if I hate SUC or GOYB more...

Anyway, for the topic at hand, my favorite trio is the first 3 on JT (although I find the 1-7 run to be pretty much perfect), and the 10-12 run on AB. Pretty much the most popular opinion around here, but I can't argue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Amazingly I probably consider SoI to be a better *sarcastic air quotes* album *end sarcastic air quotes* than NLOTH, just because the former is so all over the joint. At least SoI is somewhat unified, and gets better the more it goes on.

But, NLOTH has, like, 47 better songs than SoI, so it gets the choccies.

SOI does get better towards the end, but not THAT much better.

The Troubles is hands down the most overrated song on this forum. It's like everyone realized near the end that there wasn't anything that great on SOI so they went with the last song as being the standout. If "somebody stepped inside your soul" was a lyric on HTDAAB, it would be laughed out of town. Luckily for us, they sing it 200 times.

I did enjoy the live versions though because they let Edge off the leash for a second. It had a lot of potential. That means, of course, that it got shelved after two performances.

Last edited:
I did enjoy the live versions though because they let Edge off the leash for a second. It had a lot of potential. That means, of course, that it got shelved after two performances.

as much as I loved the Troubles and live performance and al that, but I couldn't see it nicely fitting to the setlist as it's way too downer compared to other SOI songs. and often times it kinda kills the momentum of the show

as much as I loved the Troubles and live performance and al that, but I couldn't see it nicely fitting to the setlist as it's way too downer compared to other SOI songs. and often times it kinda kills the momentum of the show

And yet acoustic Every Breaking Wave was a staple...

Can't believe I refreshed this thread for a drool over acoustic EBW.

Why The Troubles never got a chance is quite literally one of the biggest "dropped the ball" moments of their career. That song is so god damn good.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SOI does get better towards the end, but not THAT much better.

The Troubles is hands down the most overrated song on this forum. It's like everyone realized near the end that there wasn't anything that great on SOI so they went with the last song as being the standout. If "somebody stepped inside your soul" was a lyric on HTDAAB, it would be laughed out of town. Luckily for us, they sing it 200 times.

I am almost inclined to agree. I loved The Troubles, but I haven't heard it since 2014 probably and have no desire too, really. I think Lykke Li makes it about 100 times better than it really is (the Lykke Li-less version is not much chop).

Then we had a few good live versions but they never put faith in it. And now they're in limbo again. Perfectly sums up the U2 of today. Tons of potential, nearly all of it squandered. And it is such a massive shame.

Back
Top Bottom