U2 Best Of 2000-2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Passenger

The Fly
I've read in a few posts in another music forum that U2 have been pretty much irrelevant in the 2000's, and that ATYCLB & HTDAAB were a bit disappointing. Regardless of what you feel of their work in the 00's, U2 has remained relevant IMO. Before the release of NLOTH, 5 of the Top 10 U2 tracks on Itunes were from their last 2 albums. "Beautiful Day" was #1. Just to compare, check out the Rolling Stones ranking on Itunes. I scanned the Stones Top 100 quickly, and I think the lastest song I saw by them was "Start Me Up"...which came out around the time of U2's second album. Anyway, I was guessing I could make a 15 song comp of U2000's material that can rank right up their with their best work. This is what I came up with. Feel free to make your own list....Screw it, I'll make it 17. That's probably enough to fill on a CD.

Beautiful Day
Magnificent
Vertigo
Window In The Skies
No Line On The Horizon
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
All Because Of You
Elevation
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm
Kite
Miracle Drug
Breathe
Original Of The Species
Moment Of Surrender
Sometimes You Can't Make It On You're Own
Walk On

Not a bad comp IMO. I think most of these songs stand with the best in their catalog....I left several out too, like "When I Look At The World", "Love Peace Or Else", "Unknown Caller" & "If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight".

I've read in a few posts in another music forum that U2 have been pretty much irrelevant in the 2000's, and that ATYCLB & HTDAAB were a bit disappointing. Regardless of what you feel of their work in the 00's, U2 has remained relevant IMO. Before the release of NLOTH, 5 of the Top 10 U2 tracks on Itunes were from their last 2 albums. "Beautiful Day" was #1. Just to compare, check out the Rolling Stones ranking on Itunes. I scanned the Stones Top 100 quickly, and I think the lastest song I saw by them was "Start Me Up"...which came out around the time of U2's second album. Anyway, I was guessing I could make a 15 song comp of U2000's material that can rank right up their with their best work. This is what I came up with. Feel free to make your own list....Screw it, I'll make it 17. That's probably enough to fill on a CD.

Beautiful Day
Magnificent
Vertigo
Window In The Skies
No Line On The Horizon
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
All Because Of You
Elevation
Electrical Storm
Kite
Miracle Drug
Breathe
Original Of The Species
Moment Of Surrender
Sometimes You Can't Make It On You're Own
Walk On

Not a bad comp IMO. I think most of these songs stand with the best in their catalog....I left several out too, like "When I Look At The World", "Love Peace Or Else", "Unknown Caller" & "If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight".

And between Spiderman and Songs of Ascent, we may have 2 more discs of material to draw from for a best-of 2000-2010 disc! :O

1) We've already had a bunch of threads on the subject, including a recent one.

2) I don't see why it would include "Beautiful Day" or "Stuck" or "Electrical Storm" since they were on the last one.

3) I'll bite:

1. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
2. City of Blinding Lights
3. New York
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. Vertigo
6. Magnificent
7. In A Little While
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Breathe
10. No Line On The Horizon
11. Miracle Drug
12. Kite
13. All Because Of You
14. Moment Of Surrender
15. FEZ - Being Born
16. Walk On (Single Mix)

The new album should make it easier to format.....Elevation/Kite/Walk On/Vertigo/City/All/Sometimes/Crazy/Breathe/Magnificent all seem necessary in my mind, both on an objective & quality level...another album or two would mean we wouldn't need to fill this compilation up with some extra album tracks.

Well Actually Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment Were On Best of 1990-2000 so for my Best Of 2000-2010 I would say:

1.Vertigo
2.Elevation
3.Magnificent
4.Walk On
5.Sometimes You Cant Make It
6.Kite
7.Unknown Caller
8.City Of Blinding Lights
9.Moment Of Surrender
10.All Because Of You
11.Original Of The Species
12.Breathe
13.Window In The Skies
14.Crazy Tonight
15.Miracle Drug
16.New Song
17.New Song

Had this collection included Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment I would replace WITS and ABOY with them.

1) Beautiful Day
2) Kite
3) City of Blinding Lights
4) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5) No Line On The Horizon
6) Magnificent
7) Moment of Surrender
8) Unknown Caller
9) Crazy Tonight
10) Boots
11) Stand Up Comedy
12) Fez-BB
13) White as Snow
14) Breathe
15) Cedars of Lebanon
16) Cash-in

FWIW, I was just listing my favorite songs from the 2000's to make a point regardless of what was on previous Best Of's. But putting stuff from ATYCLB on the 90-00 Best Of was a big mistake IMO. They should have just made a pure 90's Best Of. If a 2000-2010 ever does come out, it's probably going to be at least 5 years from now. I can't believe they would put out a one any sooner, especially after albums coming out in 2009 & 2010. Best Of's might not even been necessary 5 years from now. I don't think they are very necessary even now. They might have lossless downloads on Itunes in a few years, and you can just make your own Best Of. CD's might be like vinyl is now.

This is me, as in U2 and the record company, making a Best of 2000-2010 tracklisting.

In an alternate universe where ATYCLB wasn't stuck on 1990-2000.

1. Beautiful Day
  2. Magnificent
  3. Elevation [Tomb Raider Mix]
  4. City of Blinding Lights
  5. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
  6. Kite
  7. Window in the Skies
  8. Unknown Caller
  9. Original of the Species
  10. Vertigo
  11. No Line on the Horizon
  12. Walk On [Single Version]
  13. Cedars of Lebanon

same alternate reality

1. Elevation
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. All Because Of You
5. Sometimes
6. Magnificent
7. Walk On
8. I'll Go Crazy
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Beautiful Day
11. Window In The Skies
12. Stuck In A Moment
13. Vertigo
14. The Saints Are Coming
15. Moment Of Surrender
16. Kite

Why does everyone have Elevation on their list? I really do not like that song. A mole digging a hole = worst lyric ever *cringes*

City Of Blinding Lights
Kite
Window In The Skies
Vertigo
Moment Of Surrender
Elevation
Breathe
The Saints Are Coming
Magnificent
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Walk On (UK Single Version)
Get On Your Boots
Crumbs From Your Table
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
All Because of You
Every Breaking Wave :hyper:

It blows my mind that only two people have The Ground Beneath Her Feet on their compilations. And that no one has Stateless on their compilations.

No Line On The Horizon
Beautiful Day
Electrical Storm
Vertigo
Elevation
Magnificent
Walk On
City Of Blinding Lights
Breathe
Stuck In A Moment
In A Little While
Kite
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Moment Of Surrender
Fez-Being Born
Stateless
Cedars Of Lebanon

01. City Of Blinding Lights
02. Beautiful Day
03. Window In The Skies
04. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
05. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
06. Love And Peace Or Else
07. Get On Your Boots
08. Stuck In A Moment
09. Kite
10. Magnificent
11. Walk On
12. Vertigo
13. Elevation
14. Breathe
15. Mercy (New Song)

Really, really great stuff. Total time: 1:08:39

It blows my mind that only two people have The Ground Beneath Her Feet on their compilations. And that no one has Stateless on their compilations.

I love "Stateless". It should have been on ATYCLB IMO. It just seemed like an odd track to put on a comp. If they do put out a 2000-2010 comp one day, "Stateless" would be an ideal track on the "B-Sides" disc. FWIW, I also wanted to put "Crumbs" on my comp. Just couldn't fit it. It just proves further that U2 put out a lot of good material in this decade.

For the hell of it, this is what I think will be on the actual 2000-2010 Best Of if it ever comes out....

City Of Blinding Lights (Single Version)
Magnificent
Elevation (Single Version)
Vertigo
Get On Your Boots
2010 new album 1st single
New Song
Original Of The Species (Single Version)
No Line On The Horizon
Window In The Skies
All Because Of You (Single Version)
Don't Go Crazy
Moment Of Surrender (possibly edited single remixed)
2010 new album 2nd single (or album cut)
Sometimes You Can't Make It
Walk On (Single Version)

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Fez-Being Born
3. Magnificent
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Winter
7. Stateless
8. NLOTH 2
9. Fast Cars
10. Native Son
11. Get On Your Boots (with long intro)
12. Breathe
13. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
14. Mercy

The Best Of 2000-2010

Let's try to limit it to 15 songs, maybe a 16th if the timing works out

1. Vertigo
2. City Of Blinding Lights
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Original Of The Species
5. All Because Of You
6. Elevation
7. Walk On
8. Kite
9. Window In The Skies
10. Magnificent
11. Get On Your Boots
12. Moment Of Surrender
13. Crazy Tonight
14-15. Two or three tracks from this alleged 'Songs Of Ascent' album, if it comes out in time

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Breathe
3. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
4. Magnificent
5. Remix older unreleased song or B-side (i.e. Mercy, Are You Gonna Wait Forever?)
6. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
7. New Song
8. Moment Of Surrender
9. Kite
10. Vertigo
11. Window in the Skies (already on a compilation, but I still expect it on this one)
12. Ground beneath her Feet
13. Get On Your Boots (not my favorite song, but I expect it to be on the best of)
14. Walk On

FWIW, I was just listing my favorite songs from the 2000's to make a point regardless of what was on previous Best Of's. But putting stuff from ATYCLB on the 90-00 Best Of was a big mistake IMO. They should have just made a pure 90's Best Of. If a 2000-2010 ever does come out, it's probably going to be at least 5 years from now. I can't believe they would put out a one any sooner, especially after albums coming out in 2009 & 2010. Best Of's might not even been necessary 5 years from now. I don't think they are very necessary even now. They might have lossless downloads on Itunes in a few years, and you can just make your own Best Of. CD's might be like vinyl is now.

I see your point, but it was the best of 1990-2000, and ATYCLB was released in 2000...

I see no problem with them putting those songs on there.

What I DO have a problem with is them putting Electrical Storm and THTBA on there, as they were from 2002....

I see your point, but it was the best of 1990-2000, and ATYCLB was released in 2000...

I see no problem with them putting those songs on there.

True, but considering ATYCLB came out at the end of 2000, it seems kind of lame they would put out some of the same songs again in 2002. And if they are going to put on songs from 2000, why leave off Walk On, Elevation & The Ground Beneath Her Feet? Most of the 90's stuff has a experimental vibe. The 2000 stuff doesn't really fit IMO.

True, but considering ATYCLB came out at the end of 2000, it seems kind of lame they would put out some of the same songs again in 2002. And if they are going to put on songs from 2000, why leave off Walk On, Elevation & The Ground Beneath Her Feet? Most of the 90's stuff has a experimental vibe. The 2000 stuff doesn't really fit IMO.

I think those two fit that best-of.

The fact is, if there is another one 2000-2010, then it also covers 2000. So it would make the album elligible for both. They just put the frist two on the first set, and the second two on the second set. Simple as that

I think those two fit that best-of.

The fact is, if there is another one 2000-2010, then it also covers 2000. So it would make the album elligible for both. They just put the frist two on the first set, and the second two on the second set. Simple as that

Yes. I get it. I just think it was lame to split the album up.

Fair enough, your opinion and you're entitled to it. I just think it's wierdly nitpicky to consider something as arbitrary as that lame

It's not nitpicky. The Best Of 1990-2000 is clearly supposed to be a 90s compilation. It would be like if Achtung had been released in 1990 instead 1991 and then Mysterious Ways and One were included on the Best Of 1980-1990. It doesn't fit. I think they put Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment on there because they were afraid a compilation of purely Achtung/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop stuff wouldn't sell enough, at least in the US.

It's not nitpicky. The Best Of 1990-2000 is clearly supposed to be a 90s compilation. It would be like if Achtung had been released in 1990 instead 1991 and then Mysterious Ways and One were included on the Best Of 1980-1990. It doesn't fit. I think they put Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment on there because they were afraid a compilation of purely Achtung/Zooropa/Passengers/Pop stuff wouldn't sell enough, at least in the US.

Well said. I especially agree with the last sentence. :up:

Interesting thread. I've been batting around a playlist in my head but haven't come up with anything solid yet. I'd forgotten about Window in the Skies as I couldn't be bothered to buy U218. Now I wish I had as I'm dying of curiousity.

Back
Top Bottom