U2 Best Of 2000-2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW the Numb new mix was awesome. The rest were forgettable.

I'll say the Numb new mix sounds significantly better on vinyl than digital. I first heard it through my computer's speakers, and it sounded really off. Then I listened to the vinyl, and it sounded so full. Totally a "now I get it" moment.

1980-1990, on the hand, is lacking. Only having 3 songs from the first 3 albums disqualifies it from being anywhere near great.
I think 1980-1990 is mostly fine as it is. The one glaring omission for me is "Gloria".

Thank God they didn't try to remix the 80s songs....

BTW the Numb new mix was awesome. The rest were forgettable.
Now that you bring it up, I recall listening to the CD back in 2003 and being disgusted by the new mix of "Numb". It wasn't bad on musical terms, but there was something 'off' (as LadySpinHead said, above) about it. It may also be influenced by the fact that I was a major fan of the original track and didn't need a new mix. Anyway, I will revisit this 'new mix' and hear it with fresh ears...

I actually think 1990-2000 is very good, though it does have a lot of sentimental value to me. It was the first U2 album that I bought the day it came out. The only albums I owned before that were ATYCLB, Joshua Tree, and TUF, so this was my first taste of anything from the 1990s, and I was hooked for good after hearing it.

1980-1990, on the hand, is lacking. Only having 3 songs from the first 3 albums disqualifies it from being anywhere near great.

I liked it, especially since it adds the two good Passenger songs and the Batman song.

If they'd swapped Ground beneath her feet/Stateless for BD and Stuck, and found the place for Please (instead of the one weak new mix of SATS, for example) it would be perfect.

The 80's Best of is good if a little Rattle and Hum heavy. Swap October for Gloria and it's good to go.

U218 is the one Best of they got wrong, being too 00's centric despite being advertised as the best "single disc" compilation. Take out two ATYCLB songs and add HMTMKMKM and Discotheque instead. Two popular singles they missed, and the 90's at least get a better representation. They only compiled on the mistakes with the silly 10 song DVD instead of the full show.

U218 is the one Best of they got wrong, being too 00's centric despite being advertised as the best "single disc" compilation. Take out two ATYCLB songs and add HMTMKMKM and Discotheque instead. Two popular singles they missed, and the 90's at least get a better representation. They only compiled on the mistakes with the silly 10 song DVD instead of the full show.

U2 18's listing was selected based on the songs that they deemed received the most radio airplay. simple as that. it was not a Best of in a best of U2 sense. It was a best of HITS and what's still played on the radio.

I have not heard Discotheque played on the radio, ever. I'm 26 years old, so there's some reference. I have never heard Hold Me thrill me on the radio.

I have heard each of the songs on U218 on the radio at some point in time. And I hear Beautiful Day, SBS, Streets, Vertigo, Sweetest Thing, New Year's Day and With or Without you by far the most frequently. Sometimes I'll hear One, but not as often as those others.

so in that regard, U218 is probably the one tracklisting they got right, and not because it's a comprehensive best of; it's just what they set out to do, get the most popular songs on one disc.

U2 18's listing was selected based on the songs that they deemed received the most radio airplay. simple as that. it was not a Best of in a best of U2 sense. It was a best of HITS and what's still played on the radio.

I have not heard Discotheque played on the radio, ever. I'm 26 years old, so there's some reference. I have never heard Hold Me thrill me on the radio.

I have heard each of the songs on U218 on the radio at some point in time. And I hear Beautiful Day, SBS, Streets, Vertigo, Sweetest Thing, New Year's Day and With or Without you by far the most frequently. Sometimes I'll hear One, but not as often as those others.

so in that regard, U218 is probably the one tracklisting they got right, and not because it's a comprehensive best of; it's just what they set out to do, get the most popular songs on one disc.

Back when POP was new, Discotheque received lots of AirPlay and so did Hold Me....with that animated video going into heavy rotation on the music video channels.

Now though it seems both songs and especially Discotheque are considered dated. Such a shame as they are both in my "Top Ten Fave U2 Songs" list:(

Of course. It went to No. 10. I'm not saying neither song didn't receive considerable airplay in the 90s.

I'm saying they're not played on the radio at all anymore.

Of course. It went to No. 10. I'm not saying neither song didn't receive considerable airplay in the 90s.

I'm saying they're not played on the radio at all anymore.

True. The only time I ever heard Discotheque on the radio was on the 90's station for SiriusXM. Really interesting though how it technically charted higher than BD or Vertigo, yet the other two are more well-known by casual music fans today.

And I love the song too, fyi!

Prior to recent changes in chart-listing due to downloading being the dominant/almost dominant format, it serves to remember that the Billboard/USA system of placing charting singles was rather odd.

The way Billboard singles have charted traditionally is a curious mix of both physical sales and radio play (as opposed to, say, Canada or the UK where singles placings are entirely based on physical sales). Thus, for artists with huge album-buying fanbases (like U2) who also appeal more to a discerning demographic (like U2), the single chart often ill-serves them. They may have sold 50% more copies of 'Discotheque' than Hanson did of some other single, but if Hanson's song was more radio-friendly it likely charted higher than U2's.

I think this uniquely Billboard-way of charting singles in the post-80s era partly accounts for why U2's singles charted way lower in the USA than in almost any other English-territory.

(I rather liked Hanson, actually...)

1 vertigo
2 elevation
3 magnificent
4 stuck in a moment
5 sometimes you cant make it on your own
6 kite
7 get on your boots
8 city of blinding lights
9 breathe
10 all because of you
11 crazy tonight
12 walk on
13 (new single)
14 orginal of the species
15 moment of surrender

Stuck was already on the last one. Easy mistake to make giving the idiotic decisions involved with that compilation.

I agree with the rest of the selections though. "Original of the Species" would surely be dropped since it's the fifth single from that record and U2's obviously going to put out at least one more album. "Breathe" would probably end up dropped for similar reasons.

The big plus for some of this will be having the single mixes. Tomb Raider mix of Elevation...single mix of Walk On...single mix of All Because of You...single mix of Original of the Species...all of those are noticeably different from their album counterparts.

Window in the Skies would also be a lock for a third Best Of. It's a popular song that the band really digs. If they included compilation bait like the single mix of Sweetest Thing on 18Singles, then there's no reason they wouldn't do the same once again.

The unavoidable locks from a Best of 2000-whenever:

Elevation
Walk On
Kite
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All Because Of You
City Of Blinding Lights
Window in the Skies
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Crazy Tonight
Moment of Surrender

If they put out another 2-3 albums before calling it a day, this could end up being a very strong selection since even some of the above would likely be dropped.

My version of a Best of 2000-2010 would look like this:

Elevation (Tomb Raider mix)
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (single version)
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own (radio edit 99 BPM)
Vertigo
Mercy
No Line On The Horizon
(new song)
Fez – Being Born
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Kite
Original Of The Species
Winter
Cedars Of Lebanon
Stateless
Window In The Skies (single version)
Walk On (single version)

16 songs, but only 7 singles.

1. Beautiful Day (Live Version...since you can't leave it out)
2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
3. Walk On
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Vertigo
6. SYCMIOYO
7. City of Blinding Lights
8. Mercy
9. Saints Are Coming
10. GOYB (New Mix, with the live version intro)
11. Magnificent
12. Crazy Tonight (U2360 mix)
13. New Song
14. Every Breaking Wave or North Star

I think if you're going to release a best of album nowadays, when people can just make their own, you need to include 1 or 2 new songs and maybe even some rarities. And since it's "Best Of" doesn't have to mean "most well known singles". They already have a greatest hits with U218

I suppose if they wanted to find a way to squeeze Beautiful Day and Stuck on another compilation, that might be the way.

That would be interesting. Maybe a rougher guitar riff or vocal to go with it too?

2. Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
3. Walk On
4. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Vertigo
6. SYCMIOYO
7. City of Blinding Lights
8. Mercy
9. Saints Are Coming
11. Magnificent
12. Crazy Tonight (U2360 mix)
13. New Song
14. Every Breaking Wave or North Star

I think if you're going to release a best of album nowadays, when people can just make their own, you need to include 1 or 2 new songs and maybe even some rarities. And since it's "Best Of" doesn't have to mean "most well known singles". They already have a greatest hits with U218

I actually really like this tracklist, though I don't know if they'd ever put Mercy on. Perhaps use Beautiful Day from the Super Bowl or Live 8, or use the Peace On Earth/Walk On from the 9/11 concert.

I don't ever see Saints reappearing on any U2 release ever. It got released on U218, that's enough of a Best Of.

They can't reuse Walk on again, so maybe that would be a different version as well.

New mix of Boots with complete new choruses that say "get on your boots" like the live version, rather than the horrible, cringeworthy "sexy boots"? YES PLEASE!

Yeah, "Walk On" is definitely going to be on a third volume if they ever do one. I do agree with galeongirl about "Saints" though...it wasn't as big of a single for the band as When Love Comes To Town (another collaboration) and it's also a cover (neither of the hits discs from this Best Of series included covers).

"Window In The Skies" would likely make a return though since it's an original U2 track and could probably hold its own against the rest of their recent material.

This band really could have knocked it out of the park had they not included "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck" on the second volume. They'd have those heavyweights for a third compilation and they could have re-visited the 90s in full on the previous compilation (ensuring that tracks like "The Fly" and "Wild Horses" and "Zooropa" made the final cut). The record likely would have sold nearly as well and would have revitalized interest in the period for both the band and fans. Instead, they took a cheap way out...and even then they half-assed it and held on to "Elevation" and "Walk On" in case they were short of material for a third volume. Either commit to playing it safe and going for something that will sell well or accurately reflect the decade at hand. They chose to do neither.

Frankly, I really think they should have gone full tilt with the ATYCLB inclusions if they were going to draw from that well in the first place. Put all four singles on that record (including the single mixes of "Walk On" and "Elevation") and let it have 17 tracks in total. Drop "Electrical Storm" and the Gangs of New York track, saving the former for your next album and the latter for a future hits compilation. Revisit some 90s B-side in a single mix and make that your new single. "The Fly" would be Track 18 on non-US editions, if there's room.

They would have covered 1990-2000 shrewdly and accurately like the first compilation did with the 80s, aiming for the biggest hits and a few key album tracks.

Back
Top Bottom