U2 ARE SPUD PEELERS AND NOBODY LIKES THEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allcub

The Fly
Apologies if this was already posted or I've posted on the wrong forum but just wondered what you all make of this. Ian McCulloch has never gotten over his hatred of U2........I can understand him not liking them but I mean read this!

From Dotmusic.co.uk:

McCulloch takes aim at 'spud-peelers' U2

(Wednesday October 22, 2008 06:20 AM)

Outspoken Echo + The Bunnymen leader Ian McCulloch has sparked a new rock feud with Irish supergroup U2 after calling them "spud peelers" who wanted to become part of the music industry's elite in a new magazine interview.

The Killing Moon singer insists Bono and his band have become just like Bob Geldof, Sting and "all of them c**ts who no one really likes."

He tells America's Flaunt magazine he's always been amazed by U2's success: "It was like, 'Wanted: Spud-peeler who can sing.' And they were like, 'Yes! I can peel the spuds (potatoes) and you can tune the guitars.'

"I knew from day one, as soon as I heard them... f**king hell. It's like, 'Let's all get together and be in the music biz.'"

Bandmate Will Sergeant also shares McCulloch's dislike for the Irish rockers, who ironically formed the same year they did.

He adds, "I still haven't got one U2 record in my house... To me, they were just boring. They're a bit goody two-shoes."

End of rant!

They are envious that U2 became the best band and they didn't. There's plenty of people who could allege they are boring too. Why don't they show how good they are? Isn't that the best argument? What the hell are they doing now? Ocean Rain is the only great album they have. The rest are okay at best.

Edge was right that band dynamics are about envy and ego and U2 are about a collective ego. That's how their music is as good as it is.

There's lots of negative bands out there. U2 is "goody two shoes" or uplifting depending on how you see it.

I think Noel Gallagher and Ian should get together and have a row about U2. That I would pay to see.:up:

Last edited:
It's nothing new, Mac and Will bashing U2 is as natural as the Gallaghers bashing radiohead or Albarn. I love both bands, And to be honest 2005's Siberia stands up next to the best Echo albums a lot better than HTDAAB does with other U2 albums, and I saw them 2 years ago and they're still a brilliant live act, but it's just their opinion and a way to stir up things for the sake of their own publicity. oh fuck that...

This one's for you, Ian:

waaa.jpg

Of all the people in the industry that pay out U2 a lot, Ian McCulloch is my favourite. He truly has a way with words. Why, remember when he called Bono a "soddin' mountain goat"? This boy's a classy fucker.

Yet another person who hasnt done their research and doesnt "get" U2.

"a little bit goodie too shoes", well they've obviously just ignored a whole decade of U2 history then.

these people sound like real nit picking dumb fucks.

Ian McCulloch for the win. Even if I don't agree with how far he goes, his comments are entertaining and the response even moreso. Keep it up, McCulloch and McCulloch detractors. :up:

I really do just love this!
Whenever I see an article or interview involving Ian McCulloch, I immediately scan it for a U2 reference. It's always there. You can go back 15-20 years and find the same comments. He hates them (and Bono particularly) to the point of an obsession. I agree with Axver: It's pure entertainment (for me, at least). I suspect the Bunnymen (brilliant name for a band by the way) are still pissed off that U2 "made it" and they didn't, especially given the fact that the only time the Bunnymen make the news these days is when they trash U2. Poor wee bunnies.

Oh, Ian. :love:

As a fan of both bands, this stuff always amuses me to no end.

You really think that they're underrated? They've been around since I was a kid, and a lot of people I know like them a lot, so it's hard for me to view them as underrated.

Yes. I think music fans generally underestimate their contributions to the post-punk movement. And I'm surprised that you even know people who are aware of their existence. When I mention Echo and the Bunnymen to people -- even those who I would consider to be particularly knowledgeable when it comes to music -- I'm usually met with something along the lines of "Echo who?"

Yet another person who hasnt done their research and doesnt "get" U2.

"a little bit goodie too shoes", well they've obviously just ignored a whole decade of U2 history then.

these people sound like real nit picking dumb fucks.
When you've done as much acid as the Bunnymen have (allegedly, she says, avoiding all legal action :shifty: ) done, then U2 come off as Mary fuckin' Poppins and Mother Teresa combined...

Aaah, you gotta love Mac :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom