U2 ARE SPUD PEELERS AND NOBODY LIKES THEM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He hasn't reeased anything decent in years. And yes, his comments are very racist-xenophobic, that's the only thing that bothers me about what he said though, I couldn't care less otherwise.

the only remotely funny thing here is that if anyone would talk about someone else in similar fashion outside of the rock industry no one would be laughing
quite the opposite

Is this guy usually drunk when doing interviews? :hmm:

I honestly don't understand half of what he's saying, but he sure has an interesting choice of words.

I rather like cranky and snarky rockers. :love: All sweetness and light gets old mighty damned quick without a little snark in the mix.

Some facts:

Ian was always jealous of Bono and U2...

Heaven Up Here and Ocean Rain are brilliant albums.

And the guitar riff from Back of Love was stolen from I Will Follow.

Human rights : freedom of speech !!- Well, that´s ok but I just don´t understand what´s the.f....:censored: pleasure some people have in saying things like that in the public eye..:tsk:
Hmmm...anyway, maybe it´s the "dark side" of the music business...
Win a few/lose a few.... :shrug:

Is there a time to keep your mouth shut.. :bono:

jeez, I really like Echo And The Bunnymen but I remember first hearing about them in an article comparing the two bands. To sum it up, the article said "U2 became the world's biggest band. Echo and the Bunnymen didn't." and whenever I read McCulloch talking about U2 he just seems really bitter and jealous. It's really strange, this isn't even a militant-U2-fan-OH-NO-SOMEONE-HATES-U2-LET'S-SAY-HOW-SHIT-THEY-ARE but he's as transparent as a window when he gets like this.

When you've done as much acid as the Bunnymen have (allegedly, she says, avoiding all legal action :shifty: ) done, then U2 come off as Mary fuckin' Poppins and Mother Teresa combined...

Aaah, you gotta love Mac :heart:

Yeah. It's a shame U2 never went up to Villiers Terrace...

whenever I read McCulloch talking about U2 he just seems really bitter and jealous.

Could you really blame him, though? The series of brilliant Bunnymen records released between 1980 and 1984 set the band up for world domination. If it hadn't been for internal issues (including the tragic death of Pete de Freitas), they could have achieved everything U2 achieved in the late 80s and beyond. If I were in his position, I'd probably also hold a grudge.

And anyway, he's always like this. He doesn't just reserve his ire for U2. There are very few bands Ian won't rip into. He didn't earn the nickname "Mac the Mouth" for nothing. As a fan, I just take his comments with a grain of salt. They're entertaining if you don't take him too seriously.

Yes. I think music fans generally underestimate their contributions to the post-punk movement. And I'm surprised that you even know people who are aware of their existence. When I mention Echo and the Bunnymen to people -- even those who I would consider to be particularly knowledgeable when it comes to music -- I'm usually met with something along the lines of "Echo who?"

I'm 37, that likely has something to do with it.

I'm 37, that likely has something to do with it.

Perhaps.

My mom was a huge new-wave fan in the 80s though, and even she hadn't heard of the Bunnymen. The really bizarre thing about it is that she's a Teardrop Explodes fan. How the hell do you know about The Teardrop Explodes without knowing about Echo and the Bunnymen?

Perhaps.

My mom was a huge new-wave fan in the 80s though, and even she hadn't heard of the Bunnymen. The really bizarre thing about it is that she's a Teardrop Explodes fan. How the hell do you know about The Teardrop Explodes without knowing about Echo and the Bunnymen?

Well, let's put it like this.....a lot of my HS friends knew and loved Echo, but if I walked around the office, where half the staff is younger than 30, I'd bet 1 in 10 would know of them....so it's definitely, in my case, tied to age. Also, the circle of friends I had then listened to a lot of "alternative" radio, which would also help explain it.

As for your Mom, that's nuts.

Could you really blame him, though? The series of brilliant Bunnymen records released between 1980 and 1984 set the band up for world domination. If it hadn't been for internal issues (including the tragic death of Pete de Freitas), they could have achieved everything U2 achieved in the late 80s and beyond. If I were in his position, I'd probably also hold a grudge.

I don't really care (clearly) but what exactly is there to hold a grudge for?

I mean from what I can see U2 became famous and Echo didn't...

Did U2 steal from Echo? Did they make the record buying public not purchase new Echo albums somehow? Did they physically or verbally assault Echo in some way?

Just curious is all...

U2's 1980-1984 releases >> Echo's 1980-1984 releases.

U2's 1980-1984 live performances >>>>> Echo's 1980-1984 live performances.

Comparatively speaking, that may be so (I would personally argue that "Heaven Up Here" is much better than "October" and that "Ocean Rain" is on par with UF, but that's just me). Even if you do give U2's early work the edge, however, that doesn't mean that Echo and the Bunnymen couldn't have reached U2's heights in '87. The band simply fell apart after Ocean Rain, and that hindered their chances of success significantly.

Comparatively speaking, that may be so (I would personally argue that "Heaven Up Here" is much better than "October" and that "Ocean Rain" is on par with UF, but that's just me). Even if you do give U2's early work the edge, however, that doesn't mean that Echo and the Bunnymen couldn't have reached U2's heights in '87. The band simply fell apart after Ocean Rain, and that hindered their chances of success significantly.

But now you're just talking hypotheticals. What if The Police hadn't disbanded? What if Lennon/McCartney worked it out? The fact remains, Echo wrote a particular style of music, and that particular style of music failed to resonate as strongly as U2's (edit: and a number of other bands in the 'alternative' genre 1980-1988). Ian's live performances failed to resonate as strongly as Bono's. It's not all that hard to understand. And I'm sorry, but Ocean Rain is not as memorable as Unforgettable Fire.

I don't get the sympathy angle when it comes to the plummet in Echo's fortunes. Fact: McCulloch left the band in 1988 (from what I remember, because he's such a douche, let's not forget de Freitas briefly parted with the band after Ocean Rain) and de Freitas died in 1989. Not to take away from him, but he was the drummer. Ian and Will wrote the songs, if I remember correctly. And they used a drum machine at the very start. In my estimation, de Freitas' passing has ZERO to do with what they did/did not do up till 1989, by which time U2 ruled the world. When you say, "what they could have been if Pete de Freitas hadn't died", it just sounds silly, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom