U2 & Rushdie - The Ground Beneath Her Feet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kennerado

Refugee
Anyone heard this? I just found this in my MP3's. Rushie just kind of reads the lyrics more than sings them. It might be a fake but its weird as hell. Anyone know anything about this?

Sounds like possibly a radio play.

Link?

It's not at all impossible, because he wrote the thing :)

It was in his book of the same name. Bono was sent the manuscript and decided to put the poem to music for Salman's birthday. That became the song and found it's way into the film (Million Dollar Hotel).

The book was awesome. It took me forever to read it because, as a writer myself, I kept getting caught up in his prose and trying to figure out how he pulls off the stylistic maneuvers he does. It's a retelling of the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice. In some ways, I liked it even more than The Satanic Verses.

I liked the book, too. My favourite book of him is "Midnight's Children", though. I met Rushdie at a literature symposium three years ago.

I loved "The Moor's Last Sigh" - what a great opening line:

"I have lost count of the days that have passed since I fled the horrors of Vasco Miranda's mad fortress in the Andalusian mountain-village of Benengeli; ran from death under cover of darkness and left a message nailed to the door."

I knew the minute I read it that I was going to love that book.

Keep meaning to return to him, but haven't read all of his stuff.

very boring book by the way

I agree. I've been reading it off and on since last summer, and I still haven't gotten through it. I've read almost everything he's ever written, and enjoyed it (my favourite being Midnight's Children - amazing story, in my top 10 novels of all time), but in my opinion, Ground is by far the slowest and least appealing.

I actually thought about picking up Midnight's Children just yesterday. I tried The Satanic Verses, but I was on a rather unique vacation at the time and couldn't really get into it. Perhaps I'll pick up Children and start on that.

[/derailing] :wink:

Back
Top Bottom