U2 and Nine Inch Nails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaliceMizery

Babyface
Does anyone else think No Line on the Horizons cover resembles Nine Inch Nails Ghosts I-IV artwork style big time besides me?

Now only if it can be as good as Ghosts was. Lets hope!

also.. wow if reznor and the edge could work together on something.

The comparison did come up when the NLOTH cover was first unveilled.

For the music, just so you know, Reznor did a remix of Vertigo back in 2004!

Knowing both bands very well, I doubt we will see any further projects together past this remix.

The comparison did come up when the NLOTH cover was first unveilled.

For the music, just so you know, Reznor did a remix of Vertigo back in 2004!

Knowing both bands very well, I doubt we will see any further projects together past this remix.

yeah i got all the vertigo mixes. i actually like reznors mix pretty well.
but youre right, the bands are like light and day, however reznor seems
to be lightning up a bit with with teeth and year zero. nowhere near as dark as broken, downward spiral, or the fragile (which are his best).

but you never know, two of the biggest bands might just have to collide
one day

I remember right around the start of Popmart, I think Entertainment Weekly had a page or two on the opening night from Las Vegas, and Trent Reznor was in attendance. Apparently he's a lifelong U2 fan.

Yes, there are a lot of stark black, white, and gray album covers.

I thought his mix of Vertigo sucked, and I really loved his output up to about Halo 14, and then it's just been a downward spiral since then...

*see what I did there?:wink:

I brought this up in a thread the other day, and a friend pointed it out to me too - he's currently arguing that U2 is copying their fonts...

I remember right around the start of Popmart, I think Entertainment Weekly had a page or two on the opening night from Las Vegas, and Trent Reznor was in attendance. Apparently he's a lifelong U2 fan.

Serious?

Trent and Bono have been acquainted since as early as ZooTV- a read a couple variations (one being an interview with Trent) that Trent hung out backstage at a show on the tour. He commented that while U2's and NIN's music are different, there's a mutual respect.

Here's a quote I dug up from Trent about U2:

Let me tell you a story about something that really helped me out: I saw U2 for the first time, on their Zoo TV Tour. I was backstage with Marilyn Manson, sitting in a room, and Bono comes in. I'd never met him, but we knew of each other through Flood, the producer who worked on both our records. Bono sat down and talked with me for an hour, and we had this kind of drunken mind meld. I said: "I'll tell you what I'm going through now. We went from being underground-elite darlings to the point where we're getting shit on by those same people because now we sell records. And I know you guys have gone through the same thing." Bono says: "Fuck those people. That's like saying, 'You're cool enough to listen to my music, but you - you grew up in Wisconsin; you're not cool enough to listen to it.' That's a kind of fascism." He goes, "You do what you believe you have to do. That's what we've always done. You believe in yourself and don't worry about the people who don't like it because it's not the right fashion statement that they're trying to adhere to."

Now U2's not my favorite band, but I do respect them, and in the same way I respect Bowie: They change without fear of change. I left that night thinking, "He's right. Why am I concerned about some snotty-nosed college magazine that thinks I'm not cool because people liked the record and bought it?" After that, I got over that whole thing.

bonotrent.jpg

bonoNINTrentReznor.jpg

The NIN (GHOSTS) album cover was the first thing I thought of when I saw NLOTH cover aswell. Coincidences aside, I would'nt be surprised if U2's live show resembles the Lights in the Sky tour aswell....

U2 and NIN are two of my favourite bands, I'm so glad that there is some connection between them like this. I know Trent expects U2 to take all the credit for the live technology he's been using for most of last year! I know it would never happen but I'd love to see a duet between Bono and Trent, ideally on 'Hurt', but thats just crazy thinking :drool:

NIN and U2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my two great artistic loves!

So very different, from different angles.. Trent is extremely talented and his music covers so many genre's. :D

The NIN (GHOSTS) album cover was the first thing I thought of when I saw NLOTH cover aswell. Coincidences aside, I would'nt be surprised if U2's live show resembles the Lights in the Sky tour aswell....

we can only hope.. that show is just incredible! breaking totally new ground
Sucks how they aren't bringing it to Australia

Yes, there are a lot of stark black, white, and gray album covers.

I thought his mix of Vertigo sucked, and I really loved his output up to about Halo 14, and then it's just been a downward spiral since then...

*see what I did there?:wink:

shit thats not what I think, The Fragile and Year Zero are probably his best work

I think Year Zero is his third masterpiece (along with Downward Spiral and The Fragile). Never have I had an album grow on me so dramatically - I hated it when I first heard it and gradually track-by-track almost, it grew and grew on me to the point where its now one of my favourite and most listened-to albums.

Its a shame that he seems on the verge of retiring NIN altogether. No way do I think he'll retire from music, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he put NIN to bed for a while - I just hope I get to see them at some point in the UK this summer before he does.

The "Still" (Halo 17b) album is the best album never record by the genius Reznor
Love "Adrift & At Peace" :heart:

If U2 wants to work with NIN they better hurry:lol: :

Trent Reznor Announces Possible End of Nine Inch Nails, Tour With Jane's Addiction | Pitchfork

Today, Trent Reznor posted a note on the Nine Inch Nails website announcing that NIN will tour with Jane's Addiction this year. And that this will possibly be the last Nine Inch Nails tour, ever.

In the post, titled "A note from Trent and a wave goodbye," he wrote, "In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's 'Lights in the Sky' tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year."

No dates for the NIN/Jane's trek have been announced yet. NIN are currently on tour Down Under and are scheduled to play Bonnaroo in June.

Regardless of what you think of Trent Reznor's music, the man gave his all in his live shows, pulling off some pretty amazing feats of endurance on stage. It's sad to hear that he might be retiring from the stage, but understandable. And we highly doubt this means he's finished with music in general.

Full text of the "note from Trent" below:

2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really fucking FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Is there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent

both bands write the most beautiful music there is. and i hope to god it isnt nin's last tour. thankfully i seen lights in the sky back in august, was about 3rd row before he got to wish, then it was get to where you could stand. man it was a brilliant show, visuals were so unbelievable. i hope he doesnt stop making music at least. i know he'll probably start working as a producer, as he did with nothing records, producing manson (when they were friends), prick, pig, pop will eat itself, and numerous other bands albums. but damn, reznor is a genius.

NIN and U2, my 2 fav bands as well. I actually was disppointed in Trent's Vertigo remix because I was expecting something that had "trent's" stamp on it - the way he remixed Bowie's "I'm Afraid of Americans" and you could definitely tell he's the one who did it. But oh well, perhaps they'll work together again (but I'd doubt a duet)

And I wouldn't worry about Trent's blog post today about disappearing for a while. Us NIN fans got spoiled by almost 5 years straight of touring and 4 albums. We used to wait 5 years without hearing a peep from him, a semi retirement for a few years is nothing. He'll be around. And I hope what he said about using this time for the "year zero" miniseries is true, it'll be so kick ass!

It doesn't really say much of NIN or Oasis if their debut or sophmore album were their peaks...:shrug:

Although I may agree with you.

I find it a little odd to say they are top quality and then say their first album is their best...

To me Trent came out strong, and Pretty Hate Machine was probably his best, but he still produced some pretty cool music for awhile and then the disenfranchised angst just came off as a schtick, and it became apparent he can't really go anywhere from here... The only thing interesting he's produced recently was his last tour...

Back
Top Bottom