U2 and Nine Inch Nails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Fragile was a great record.

See, to me that is where he started his decline... It would have been a good single album, but this started the "every little concoction of bleeps and buzzes that I touch is genius" period. He's still had moments since then but not an album's worth...

See, to me that is where he started his decline... It would have been a good single album, but this started the "every little concoction of bleeps and buzzes that I touch is genius" period. He's still had moments since then but not an album's worth...

to me that proves you obviously dont know youre nin. the fragile was
reznors most honest album in which he put everything left in him into it.
its a perfect listen from start to finish and reigns the holy grail of nine
inch nails. pretty hate machine is good, far from best. each album is a step of evolution. After the fragile was his decline, with teeth was a commercial sale to regain money lost from the fragile becos it was so uncommercial. Year Zero was better than with teeth, but still not a pure nin album. The Slip? eh, mediocre nin. but you cant really argue too much when it's for free. Ghosts was great.

You know what....I'm a little tipsy right now....and I see this thread....and I'm peeing my pants.

Ok. I wasn't a NIN fan. I play bass in a band...I dj EDM....and I LOVE U2. The guitarist in my band loves U2 as well....but he LOVES NIN.

Rewind - I get tickets for us to see the "With Teeth" tour. I like some of Trent's stuff. But overall, the dude scares me because he's so angry. Then Bono comes out with a quote that says something along the lines of:

"The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God."

I make the decision that Trent's angry music isn't so hard for me to appreciate because it's running away from God. Make sense? So I decided to not just listen to NIN but to HEAR what NIN has to say.

Bear with me..........

So we see the With Teeth tour in a club in Toronto called the Kool Hause. It was amazing. I was blown away. This was only the practice run without the major stage setup before the major With Teeth tour. It was so amazing that I end up seeing the With Teeth tour again by myself at the Air Canada Centre. Bigger venue, better visuals....better everything.

I'm hooked on NIN. I like them. My guitarist is impressed I like them. So I join the fanclub (because I learned joining the U2 fanclub gets you perks). I end up getting personalized tickets to see NIN again for their recent tour in Hamilton, Ontario. Lights in the Sky! My tickets were at the Willcall with my name on them printed in silver!

I go with my wife and I take these videos with my camera.

All I have to say is futhermucker!

YouTube - NIN in Hamilton

I've seen U2 twenty one times. I've seen them live since Zoo TV. I gotta say that NIN's most recent show was the best VISUAL show I've ever seen. Yup. It topped any visual U2 did....including the Popmart screen.

I left and told my wife...I hope Bono has seen this show.....because some of the latest technology sh!t is right here!

Let's not forget this thread

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...k-they-know-what-theyll-look-like-189813.html

inch nails. pretty hate machine is good, far from best. each album is a step of evolution. After the fragile was his decline, with teeth was a commercial sale to regain money lost from the fragile becos it was so uncommercial. Year Zero was better than with teeth, but still not a pure nin album. The Slip? eh, mediocre nin. but you cant really argue too much when it's for free. Ghosts was great.

Many critics, and die hard fans agree with me that there was a lot of filler, that's all I'm saying...:shrug:

It doesn't really say much of NIN or Oasis if their debut or sophmore album were their peaks...:shrug:

Although I may agree with you.

I find it a little odd to say they are top quality and then say their first album is their best...

To me Trent came out strong, and Pretty Hate Machine was probably his best, but he still produced some pretty cool music for awhile and then the disenfranchised angst just came off as a schtick, and it became apparent he can't really go anywhere from here... The only thing interesting he's produced recently was his last tour...

Well if we assume AB is U2's best, which was like 18 years ago, then have U2 not been a top band since then?

It's true that he could have nipped some songs but I found more I liked on it than any of his other albums. I really love Just like you imagined and The mark has been made.

Of course I'm a sucker for instrumentals. :wink:

You know what....I'm a little tipsy right now....and I see this thread....and I'm peeing my pants.

Ok. I wasn't a NIN fan. I play bass in a band...I dj EDM....and I LOVE U2. The guitarist in my band loves U2 as well....but he LOVES NIN.

Rewind - I get tickets for us to see the "With Teeth" tour. I like some of Trent's stuff. But overall, the dude scares me because he's so angry. Then Bono comes out with a quote that says something along the lines of:

"The music that really turns me on is either running toward God or away from God."

I make the decision that Trent's angry music isn't so hard for me to appreciate because it's running away from God. Make sense? So I decided to not just listen to NIN but to HEAR what NIN has to say.

Bear with me..........

So we see the With Teeth tour in a club in Toronto called the Kool Hause. It was amazing. I was blown away. This was only the practice run without the major stage setup before the major With Teeth tour. It was so amazing that I end up seeing the With Teeth tour again by myself at the Air Canada Centre. Bigger venue, better visuals....better everything.

I'm hooked on NIN. I like them. My guitarist is impressed I like them. So I join the fanclub (because I learned joining the U2 fanclub gets you perks). I end up getting personalized tickets to see NIN again for their recent tour in Hamilton, Ontario. Lights in the Sky! My tickets were at the Willcall with my name on them printed in silver!

I go with my wife and I take these videos with my camera.

All I have to say is futhermucker!

I've seen U2 twenty one times. I've seen them live since Zoo TV. I gotta say that NIN's most recent show was the best VISUAL show I've ever seen. Yup. It topped any visual U2 did....including the Popmart screen.

I left and told my wife...I hope Bono has seen this show.....because some of the latest technology sh!t is right here!

Let's not forget this thread

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...k-they-know-what-theyll-look-like-189813.html

Oh my God those are the most thrilling visuals I've seen.

I can't really see it working with U2 though because Bono likes to get into the crowd, move around a lot. It's good for bands like Oasis who just stay in one place.

I don't agree that Pretty Hate Machine was NIN's best - The Downward Spiral is I believe a true masterpiece, a benchmark for industrial music.

Well if we assume AB is U2's best, which was like 18 years ago, then have U2 not been a top band since then?

Well I think we're comparing apples to oranges...

You are comparing a career that peaked at the first of second try with a career that peaked once on their 5th and then again their 7th...

The latter career has a background and makes it more difficult to reach the height of certain "peaks"...

The shadows are much bigger, I guess is what I'm trying to say...

Well I think we're comparing apples to oranges...

You are comparing a career that peaked at the first of second try with a career that peaked once on their 5th and then again their 7th...

The latter career has a background and makes it more difficult to reach the height of certain "peaks"...

The shadows are much bigger, I guess is what I'm trying to say...

Well having great debuts in no way suggests a band is less successful now than they were before.

Well having great debuts in no way suggests a band is less successful now than they were before.

That's not what I'm suggesting... NIN were succesful in evolving for awhile after their(his) debut, even though in my mind never reached the brilliance of their debut, but then hit a wall.

Oasis, never quite evolved, they've still written some good tunes since, but they'll never come close to their sophmore album unless they really try something new...

I think Year Zero is his third masterpiece (along with Downward Spiral and The Fragile). Never have I had an album grow on me so dramatically - I hated it when I first heard it and gradually track-by-track almost, it grew and grew on me to the point where its now one of my favourite and most listened-to albums.

Its a shame that he seems on the verge of retiring NIN altogether. No way do I think he'll retire from music, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he put NIN to bed for a while - I just hope I get to see them at some point in the UK this summer before he does.

:ohmy: You don't have Pretty Hate Machine as one of if not THE Nine Inch Nails masterpiece? Crazy. In my opinion PHM is a top ten album of all time. Classic. Blows all the other NIN albums away but to each their own

The opening sentence of your post is pretty arrogant. To suggest those who feel The Fragile was where NIN albums started to decline as people who just don't know their NIN is ridiculous. I own all of their albums and haev been listening to them since 1990. For me The Fragile is far from the Holy grail of NIN albums. And even further from a "perfect listen fro start to finish". That title belongs to PHM in my opinion but I guess that means I too don't know my NIN.

My God it's all opinion and taste. I definately would never suggest someone is an ignorant fan simply for not agreeing with me on what the band's best album is. I like With Teeth, Downward Spriral, and Broken all better than The Fragile. I guess I'm just uneducated.

bonotrent.jpg

bonoNINTrentReznor.jpg

omigod...my two FAVOURITE male fantasies together!!! somebody get me a towl..... :drool::drool::combust::drool::drool:

Ahh U2 and NIN, two of my musical loves. :heart:

You see, I disagree. Trent Reznor started out with a strong album (Pretty Hate Machine), and followed it with an even better album "Broken", then an even better album "The Downward Spiral," and then "The Fragile" (which was his peak.) Then he went shite for a while and released "With Teeth", but suddenly, he bounced back with three excellent albums that are on par with his PHM-TF days: "Year Zero", "Ghosts" and "The Slip." I was honestly blown away by The Slip, it was one of the best albums of last year. And Ghosts is good, for being all instrumental.

I think Trent is currently channeling some of his best artistic output, and I hope he doesn't retire. He might even get back to making an album that's even better than The Downward Spiral or The Fragile...who knows?

I liken The Fragile to Pop in that they are both incredible albums--my favorite for each artist--and a lot of fans feel this way, but the perception is that they were bombs.

His Lights In The Sky tour had the best lighting computer effects I have ever seen--it was unreal--and he didn't rape the fans on prices.

I liken Year Zero and The Slip to NLOTH in that they are very dense "growers."

I don't agree that Pretty Hate Machine was NIN's best - The Downward Spiral is I believe a true masterpiece, a benchmark for industrial music.

The Downward Spiral is a benchmark for music, period. To this day there is nothing out there that sounds like it. The unusual time signatures, incredible instrumentation and amalgamation of both organic and synthetic sounds perfectly accompany the bleak and raw theme of the album. Definitely in my top 10 albums ever.

I saw NIN for the first and only time on the With Teeth tour. Decent show, but I truly wish I had seen them on this most recent tour, even though I think much of his most recent work is stale. The visuals are groundbreaking as far as live rock performances go...

The Downward Spiral is a benchmark for music, period. To this day there is nothing out there that sounds like it. The unusual time signatures, incredible instrumentation and amalgamation of both organic and synthetic sounds perfectly accompany the bleak and raw theme of the album. Definitely in my top 10 albums ever.
Agreed. And it's my #2 favorite album ever.

Downward Spiral is definitely one of my favorite albums of all time. Along with Kid A.

He's on a creative streak right now I hope he doesn't retire.

I really hope he doesn't forget about his UK fans before he does take a step back, I've yet to see NIN live.

Back
Top Bottom