U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive only bought one remaster (The Joshua Tree) and to my ear, i cant hear any difference. I am wondering if this is because i have decent audio equipment? I must admit...i was expecting a vibrant and 3 dimensional sound, and it just didnt happen for me.
Anyone else experience similar?

It's a night and day difference...

Looking forward to this.

Anybody that cant hear the difference in the remasters that we have heard so far needs their hearing checked very badly.

All of them have improved the quality of the album 100 percent. Can it be even better sure...but most people are satisfied.

What will be on the TUF DVD, if there is one? I hope for the following, all glossy and good sounding:

- What we have of the Dortmund '84 concert, with even more unnecessary and experimental Eighties special effects in between/during songs.
- That documentary from 1985 where U2 play at Croke Park and Bono proposes to a little girl.
- The Making Of documentary, because I don't own a copy of Slane.
- An uncut video of "The Unforgettable Fire" with more pederastic undertones.
- A 36 minute compilation of introductions to Bad by Bono throughout the tour (either no visuals or mute public domain cartoons)
- Self Aid? Please?
- Commentary for all of the above.

I could live with any and all of this. My only wish is SOMETHING from the Chicago show (the greatest gig of all time!) be on there. I mean they filmed SOME of it for Good Morning America, didn't they?

I hope they don't include the Making of documentary simply cos most of us already have that on the Slane DVD and, if you ask me, seems like a bit of a cop-out.

I hope they don't include the Making of documentary simply cos most of us already have that on the Slane DVD and, if you ask me, seems like a bit of a cop-out.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense, honestly. It's not just a remaster, it's an anniversary edition. A Making of Documentary is a feature I would almost COUNT on being there, not just enjoy watching.

Well, its including a documentary that was already an added 'extra' on a previous DVD release. Maybe if it was an 'uncut edit' of the documentary it might be okay but it seems a bit much to re-release it exactly the same. That's just my take on it, but God knows I'll still buy it!

Im not too sure Mikey, but i think the documentary that appears on Slane isnt as long/in depth as the original Docu that appeared on the actual VHS release of Unforgettable Fire Vid. BUT.....it has been about 20 years since i last saw it (tape wore out!), so i cant swear to that!

I'm sure this was already covered earlier in the thread, but since the release is now officially on the schedule for October let's consider what might be on the 2nd CD:

1. Pride (Single Version) 4:40
2. Boomerang I
3. Boomerang II
4. 4th of July (Long Version)
5. Bad (Live--WAIA)
6. A Sort of Homecoming (Live--WAIA)
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Love Comes Tumbling
9. Bass Trap
10. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
11. Wire (Celtic Dub)

That's 11 songs, which doesn't leave a ton of room for new/unreleased tracks, but I'm sure there will be something. According to U2Wanderer there are three different versions of Love Comes Tumbling and two of Homecoming Live, but I doubt they'd put all of those on there as the differences are subtle.

I'm sure this was already covered earlier in the thread, but since the release is now officially on the schedule for October let's consider what might be on the 2nd CD:

1. Pride (Single Version) 4:40
2. Boomerang I
3. Boomerang II
4. 4th of July (Long Version)
5. Bad (Live--WAIA)
6. A Sort of Homecoming (Live--WAIA)
7. The Three Sunrises
8. Love Comes Tumbling
9. Bass Trap
10. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come
11. Wire (Celtic Dub)

That's 11 songs, which doesn't leave a ton of room for new/unreleased tracks, but I'm sure there will be something. According to U2Wanderer there are three different versions of Love Comes Tumbling and two of Homecoming Live, but I doubt they'd put all of those on there as the differences are subtle.

Joshua Tree Disc 2 had 10 previously released B-sides, and had 4 unreleased tracks, so the UF remaster could have 4 as well. There's two songs from that period that have been unreleased (to my knowledge) -- an untitled instrumental jam, and a track called "Be There" referred to by Edge in an old interview from the recent Uncut magazine. So those are two possible songs for inclusion.

They should just put the WAIA version of ASOH eleven times on the bonus CD.

It'll be so very hard to resist purchasing the lithos from this era (assuming the shop loads up 4 new UF lithos). I'll need a bigger house.

Of any of the U2 albums slated for a remaster, TUF is the one I want most. The possibilities of bonus materials are huge. Documentaries, live shows, rare and (hopefully) unreleased material, and all from their crteative and atmospheric peak. :drool:

This excites me. Songs Of Ascent can wait.

The only song I've ever noticed any difference between the original the the remaster was I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking for. Became extra magical for some reason, or maybe it was just me.

Can't wait for this UF release. This and a possible Achtung Baby one will be sweeeet...

Here's a question. For the sake of completism, should Womanfish perhaps feature as bonus material due to it's absence from The Joshua Tree Deluxe? As Horrendous as the song is regarded, it would be nice to have a copy of it on disc somewhere, live or studio.

If it didn't show up on TJT I doubt it will. Who knows though. Perhaps when they close the book, Edge (being the professional and completist that he is) will remaster all the gems that never saw light of day and put them out there for the fans

pride12.jpg

yeah, but 11 o'clock was already released with the Boy Remaster. it would be redundant to include it on this. i'll take a live version of Pride over this.

11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Touch, and A Celebration were all b-sides for singles from TUF. But as has already been mentioned, these were all released on the Boy and October remasters, so I seriously doubt they'll be included with the UF remaster.

On Pride single we have 11 O'clock Tick Tock (Long Version) [4:10] - not released on Remasters.

the version on the Boy second disk is 3:47... If they were to include this "long version" on the UF remaster I think you might be the only person who didn't think it was a rip off...
exactly. and regardless, the version of touch is the exact same on both singles. not to mention i'd kinda hope they'd not just pick a longer version of an already remastered song to put on the bonus disc when there's a ton of b-sides and other goodies to choose from.

The Unforgettable Fire on Amazon with 2009 release date

I don't if anyone's seen this on Amazon? but i noticed that The Unforgettable Fire is due for a release later this year, October 19th apparently. I gotta feeling that this is another remastered album? as there is also a vinyl release and a boxset of the album as well. Does anyone have any ideas if this is true or not?

Back
Top Bottom