U2 albums planned for 2009 remasters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People have talked endlessly about the Dortmund show, but there's no evidence that this still exists in DVD quality ...

Really? Wonder what that is with the "21 November 1984, Dortmund DVD" label in my box of U2 stuff then ...

I have to wonder with the DVD content if there is live material but the band just has too much on their plate at the moment. Between the tour, Spider-man and SOA, maybe they didn't want to go through all the archives. I mean who would want to be on a massive tour and going through footage of concerts from twenty years ago? :shrug:

I'm just glad they have put some thought and effort into these re-releases (liner notes written by the Edge, several songs such as Wave of Sorrow and Disappearing Act being finished in the studio, etc.). Most "reissues" are handled strictly by the record company with no band involvement whatsoever.

Don't forget Edge oversees the remastering too, so we don't get "louder is better!" on everything

So what happened with NLOTH?

T.B.

NLOTH is far better than Bomb was in terms of mastering... probably better than ATYCLB, too. The "middle three" tracks, especially Crazy, do have loudness issues, though (which is part of why I prefer the single version of Crazy to the album version).

NLOTH is far better than Bomb was in terms of mastering... probably better than ATYCLB, too. The "middle three" tracks, especially Crazy, do have loudness issues, though (which is part of why I prefer the single version of Crazy to the album version).

Single version of crazy has lower bass and the cymbals although not clipped don't sound good so loud in the mix. The mixing and mastering on that song is a joke though in any form.

There's U2 albums ranked by loudness, the bigger the number the louder they are over the normalised figure (that figure is irrelevant). Remasters are much better in terms of mastering in that regard compared to the last three albums

HTDAAB: -8.6
NLOTH: -7.1
ATYCLB: -6.4
October remaster: -5.8
UABRS remaster: -5.6
Boy remaster: -5.5
War remaster: -5.1
Pop: -4.4
TJT remaster: -3.7
AB: -2
R&H: -1.6
TUF: -0.2
Zooropa: -0.2

Really? Wonder what that is with the "21 November 1984, Dortmund DVD" label in my box of U2 stuff then ...

Um, yes. My point was that if U2 was going to release this show now they would need to source the DVD from the original broadcast tapes (which may or may not be available), not from the 2nd or 3rd generation bootlegs that have been floating around for years.

starting to appear that we won't be getting anything early. we're about a week and a half away from the release. can't wait to hear the new tracks.

I have to wonder with the DVD content if there is live material but the band just has too much on their plate at the moment. Between the tour, Spider-man and SOA, maybe they didn't want to go through all the archives. I mean who would want to be on a massive tour and going through footage of concerts from twenty years ago? :shrug:

dont they have people who do it for them?:lol:

dont they have people who do it for them?:lol:

They are incredibly hands-on and image conscious. I am certain they would review every single piece of footage being considered before releasing it. I think it was U2 At The End of The World that talked about how the band was watching and having to okay everything that went on the Zoo TV monitors. So no, I highly doubt they send other people to find and okay the TUF footage in the archives. :wink:

re pacemakers comments, it is fairly obvious that apart form JT they are working in order through the catalogue, and timed it quite well so that UF got a 25 year anniv edition. R&H I am sure is the next one on the radar. They could easily expand the movie, or have a special feature of some of the live shows they filmed (LA, Syracuse, and probably why they didnt put one of those to on the JT remaster). Also they have heaps of movie cuts, alternate takes and demos from that era that were never released. M guess would be R&H in 2010, and AB primed for a 20 year anniversary edition in 2011

M guess would be R&H in 2010, and AB primed for a 20 year anniversary edition in 2011

That seems likely if SOA comes out in early 2010. R&H and a tour DVD late in the year can cash in on Christmas. Then in 2011 a remaster of one of thier most popular albums can make up for no new album. I would suspect 2012 sees Zooropa unless they want two remastered albums in 2011. :up:

Back
Top Bottom