U2: Access All Areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
From today's Irish Independent - U2 in Barcelona:

Tuesday afternoon in Barcelona and it is very much, as Bono calls it, "first day back at school". Bono, the Edge, Paul McGuinness and U2's longtime friend and creative consultant Gavin Friday are seeing what Bono calls "the giant cactus" for the first time. No doubt the enormous space invader that sits in the middle of the stadium will become a familiar sight over the next year or two, part of the culture. But nothing can quite prepare you for the first time you see it. It's extraordinary. Later on, in darkness, I will see it do things I'm not even allowed tell you about. But the consensus is also that placing a circular stage, with no backdrop, towards the middle of the stadium will create more intimacy. It's easy to see how this blend of the space age and the intimate will lend itself to new U2 songs like the new album's title track No Line On The Horizon or Fez (Being Born).

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/u2-access-all-areas-1782416.html

The article offers some interesting insight into the current mindset of the band, not only tour-wise. And also some lovely tidbits about how big a whiner LMJ has become:

Today, Mullen himself seems like a slightly reluctant member of the biggest band in the world. "I'm very so over the business and the amount of stress that goes on with the whole business of being in this band. It bores me to death, I so hate it," he says. But then, he comes to the point that all four members of U2 will speak most enthusiastically about over the next few days: "The only thing that keeps me hanging on is those moments when you come together as a band and play. One of the things that frustrates me more than anything else is that there are a lot less laughs now. It is not the same. Except when we make music together there are a lot of laughs. It is only at those times that you really understand why you do it, because otherwise it is mind-numbing."

He really loves to talk about money:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/stop-being-nasty-to-the-rich-says-u2s-drummer-1782422.html

The article offers some interesting insight into the current mindset of the band, not only tour-wise. And also some lovely tidbits about how big a whiner LMJ has become:

Ah, don't you think describing Larry Mullen as a "whiner" is a bit harsh...

I'm not the first one here calling him that. It's obvious that he loves to "whine" a lot more these days which I find a bit annoying. But to each their own. It's just not something I like about a person.

We all know there are people who simply love to complain, even on this board ***caugh*** :D

Thanks LU for the link.

Obviously, due to economical situation worldwide. It is going to be harder for not only large companies, but also small businesses too. To get credit. Maybe, LU feels that Larry is whining, especially when he talks about his favorite eatery closing. And not mentioning the high unemployment in Ireland and elsewhere. Including the USA. I feel bad too, that Eden or any other small business, is closed. But, for a different reason. The employees having to find another job, in this tough market.

"I'm very so over the business and the amount of stress that goes on with the whole business of being in this band. It bores me to death, I so hate it,"

Well, that doesn't sound exaclty like someone who is particularly enthusiastic about the job he's doing. :happy:

The business side and the stress (considering the band he's a part of, I don't blame him).

He still loves to play, and hang out with the other three.

But in a different article Bono says that 'whiners' are people he particularly dislikes, therefore how could he have put up with Larry for so long?

Larry could be laying bricks for a living. His comments rubbed me the wrong way. On the flip side, at least he's really honest.

Back
Top Bottom