U2 3d

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i pray for the day this is released. and that coming from someone that never saw 3d in theaters. i'd like to see it in 2d, gladly.

i pray for the day this is released. and that coming from someone that never saw 3d in theaters. i'd like to see it in 2d, gladly.

In all honesty, the only performance that I remember thinking was particularly interesting was that of The Fly, and it was because I found that it was mixed beautifully and sounded substantially better than even soundboard bootlegs of the Vertigo version of the song. Bono's voice was kind of weak, and I didn't remember any other performances that beat the Chicago DVD. The fifth leg of that tour was downright remarkable; if only U2 3D had been recorded then.

It's a hell of an experience to watch the thing on an IMAX 3D screen, but my only interest in a release would be for a rip of The Fly.

Man I remember seeing this in IMAX with my dad - so cool. Can't remember much about the particulars of thr concert much and I doubt it will ever be released.

I always wanted a good audio recording of the acoustic version of "Yahweh" that closes the show.

Guess someone would have to remix this for a standard 2D presentation? There was a lot of interesting level fluctuations as the cameras shifted position, etc. Don't know how that would translate to a standard viewing experience.

It would also be weird to market a thing called U23D when it would decidedly not be in 3D for most people.

I wouldnt think they would release it. There is already the Chicago dvd, which is pretty much the same show. I think it was just a team-up with National Geographic. Film was amazing though - I seen it 2x when it was out!! :D

At one time I was certain they were going to release this on 3DBD, but now, I'm not so sure. It seems if they were going to do it, the time would have been when the home 3D craze was at its height, and that time has pretty much passed.

It's sort of a bizarre state of affairs, since U2 apparently do own, or at least share, the home video rights to the movie, and it was after all the first major 3D rock flick, and in fact pre-dated Avatar if I'm not mistaken. It definitely has some historic value, and if it doesn't make it's way to home cinema in some form it will be a pity.

My feeling, and this is just a guess, is that U2 has been holding off releasing pretty much anything (R&H remaster, this film, 2000-2010 Best Of, et.al.) since the public was pretty much saturated with U2 for several years with NLOTH/360/Spiderman, etc. For a while, they were everywhere, and perhaps they just wanted to hold off on putting any more out there to create some anticipation for something new. But again, that's just a guess.

I wouldnt think they would release it. There is already the Chicago dvd, which is pretty much the same show. I think it was just a team-up with National Geographic. Film was amazing though - I seen it 2x when it was out!! :D

true. and there's the milan bonus dvd with the 18Singles release.

I think that's a pretty good guess. I'll bet the combination of lower than hoped selling album, huge selling but drawn out tour and becoming an industry injoke for massive Broadway failure was very uncomfortable for them. Starting out with a fresh slate (as fresh as possible for them anyway) in the public eye was probably a goal for the new album cycle.

I think that's a pretty good guess. I'll bet the combination of lower than hoped selling album, huge selling but drawn out tour and becoming an industry injoke for massive Broadway failure was very uncomfortable for them. Starting out with a fresh slate (as fresh as possible for them anyway) in the public eye was probably a goal for the new album cycle.

huh?

anyways on the subject of 360 i always thought it was weak we only got 1 dvd instead of the usual 2. considering this was the highest grossing tour in tour history you'd think 2 would of been a given.

The times U2 has released more than one video for a tour, it's pretty much either been an afterthought (meaning that wasn't their original intention), or as a promotional thing.

In the case of Elevation, I remember reading (maybe in the liner notes?) that they didn't intend to release the (superior) Slane video at all, that they more recorded that one for themselves, but ended up putting it out there anyway b/c of fan demand.

With regards to Vertigo, the Milan thing was just a bonus...they didn't specifically put another DVD on the shelves next to the Chicago show.

In any event, I don't believe the Chicago DVD has any bearing on whether they are going to release U23D...if they released it, it would be more about it U2 being in 3D...that would be the selling point...vs. the specific tour.

you read they accidentally released Slane on DVD? most people i know <or the @U2 forum in any case> prefers that over Boston.

jeez i havent seen either of these in about 8 years. i really oughta watch slane again, my gf is a U2-noob i'm educating her. she loves Zooropa

Drawing things out can be good or it can be bad. In the case of 360, even though it was better after the break for Bono's surgery, there's a sense in the press writing that it just lasted too darn long. It's the difference between a juggernaut and a behemoth, if that makes sense.

Also, Slane! :love:

Yeah, that Slane show is amazing. IMO, by far, the best of the U2 concert vids (I'm not including R&H). So much passion and energy, and it's the closest I've seen a U2 video come to capturing the concert experience.

Man, Slane is absolutely sublime. Even though it's not the best live version of Streets, when they blast the lights when Larry hits that big crash I can't help but get chills. Amazing seeing the huge, HUGE crowd just go bonkers. Such a great show.

U23D is just some of the best U2 concert memories for me, only just below an actual concert, HA! It was because (at least in IMAX anyway) it was such an actual experience. The sound alone was amazing. Closest thing to being at the show you could get for the simple act of deciding to go on a whim, jump in your car, buy a movie ticket, lights go down and suddenly you're at a U2 show. We'd go to the midnight shows often, and I went waaaaaay too many times... :shifty: but it was worth it every time and I'd go again if it ever came back to IMAX near me again. On the theatre's final night, we were the last to leave at closing. I asked the manager if he had any promotional stuff they wanted to get rid of. He came back with his arms full of shirts, hats, posters and floor mats :love:. Anyway, Vertigo Tour has a special place in my family's heart and U23D is part of the reason. I hope I get to see it again some day.

Also the film definitely has historical value, as the first live-action movie shot in digital 3D. Not just a live music movie, but any live-action movie. At the time it was shot, they were using every digital 3D camera and recording deck in existence! Historic for sure.

There's something weird about watching a concert film in a theater, surrounded by people (as at a rock gig), but with no actual band there.

I remember at the end of U2:3D (this was in Vancouver, Canada), a woman beside me started shouting at Larry to hit the drums... I was thinking, "Does she know Larry's not actually here?"

I dunno, it's just a weird experience.

However, the Boston Streets is the single best version of that song I've ever heard (though as a whole the Slane concert is MUCH better).

Then check out the Popmart version of Streets from Rotterdam (as released on the Popheart EP). :)
And visually, I think the ZooTV Sydney version of Streets has the best video recording (visuals, not sound).

Then check out the Popmart version of Streets from Rotterdam (as released on the Popheart EP). :)
And visually, I think the ZooTV Sydney version of Streets has the best video recording (visuals, not sound).

I absolutely agree that the ZOOTV/Sydney Streets from a visual perspective is exciting and dynamic to watch. Great camera work. And the the song itself, coming in from RTSS, is pretty damn good there as well.

The Popmart version however, at least from from Mexico City, is IMO borderline unlistenable. It's been years since I listened to the Rotterdam version...is it much different?

yea im not a big fan of the "funk" sound of Streets during the PopMart tour. Zoo TV is the highlight of everything U2 had done at that point, i feel the best performances of all the songs from the 80-91 period are always Zoo TV.

Rotterdam is definitely better, just like how the 18Singles bonus concert is way better than the Chicago Vertigo DVD or how some fan edits of 360 gigs are way better than the released one. For me, the Elevation Tour was the last time they got it right as both "gigs" are very high energy and well directed.

U23D is still one of the most impressive uses of the technology that I've ever seen. Well worth the money if it's playing at a nearby museum or having a theater re-release. Most Hollywood films are pretty "meh" in general when it comes to this sort of tech, but documentaries like Pina and Cave of Forgotten Dreams make it highly useful.

There's something weird about watching a concert film in a theater, surrounded by people (as at a rock gig), but with no actual band there.

I remember at the end of U2:3D (this was in Vancouver, Canada), a woman beside me started shouting at Larry to hit the drums... I was thinking, "Does she know Larry's not actually here?"

I dunno, it's just a weird experience.

I saw U2:3D at the Virginia Air & Space Center in Hampton. There were maybe 10 people there total, and that was opening night.

I think I would have preferred a crowd of crazies talking to the screen.

Back
Top Bottom