Typical U2 Hater List (feel free to add)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Some Guy On The Internet said:
...They are the most overrated group since The Beatles.
Bored_Face_by_Krasus.jpg

You'd best be trollin'.

From Urban DIctionary

Bono
Wannabe American, Irish narcissist, who reckons he has a God given right to preach at politicians about what's wrong with the world while hoarding his own obscene wealth where taxes can't touch him. Still peddles his bland, pompous, corporate music around the world, charging $100 a ticket so people can watch him disappear further up his own arse.
Bono is a smug, self-righteous, wanker.

Interesting idea of 'bland, pompous, corporate music'

Quote: "Wannabe American, Irish narcissist, who reckons he has a God given right to preach at politicians about what's wrong with the world while hoarding his own obscene wealth where taxes can't touch him. Still peddles his bland, pompous, corporate music around the world, charging $100 a ticket so people can watch him disappear further up his own arse."

Meant to be humorous (I guess), but some of that is fair. U2, and Bono in particular, do pander to the American audience. That is beyond doubt. And Bono's business interests were partly moved abroad to avoid paying larger taxes. That's a fact. U2's music is corporate -- they're on a major label and refer to themselves as a "corporation". They do charge obscene prices for a inflated, all-frills live show -- the very opposite of what they spoke of valueing back in the 80s.

I do not know, however, if the recent back surgery allowed Bono to go up his own arse or not.

You all have probably heard this before and I get absolutely fucking ticked off at it!

"It's a U2 concert right and Bono says everytime I clap my hands a child in Africa dies. Some intelligent person in the audience stands up and says "Stop fucking clapping then!"

That one is so stupid. The person in the audience who says that is the complete opposite of intelligent. People with their "Bono is a dick", Bono is a douchebag for *whatever he does here*". It's pointless to let it get to you but I want to slap some motherf*cking sense in to these people!:angry::angry::angry: Bono does good things for people and gets shit back for it. He's saving lives and helping people while those other rock stars are out getting high or have sex with multiple other women or doing something that is of bad influence. Good people don't deserve that back.

I could go on for millenniums about the whole "Every U2 song sounds the same!" I actually get this with friends a lot. Well how about I play you some "WTSHNN" followed by "Lemon" followed by "Zooropa", followed by "Mofo" (about to listen to this one :drool::drool::drool:), and lastly a little "The Unforgettable Fire". I think my point is proven here.:yes: I need to say that to my friends next time I get that response. Btw does anyone think U2 are "New Age"?:huh:

The most annoying insults are the ones hurled at The Edge for his excessive use of effects pedals

Here's some I find on UG and Utube
"Take The Edge's effects away and watch him play something"
"He's nothing without effects, and you know I'm right"
"What happens when you take the effects away"
"The only thing Edge inspires me to do is to never buy any effects pedals"
"Watch It Might Get Loud and you'll see that [U2] are a small talent pop act with The Edge admitting he can't play for shit without effects"

People with their "Bono is a dick", Bono is a douchebag for *whatever he does here*". It's pointless to let it get to you but I want to slap some motherf*cking sense in to these people!:angry::angry::angry: Bono does good things for people and gets shit back for it. He's saving lives and helping people while those other rock stars are out getting high or have sex with multiple other women or doing something that is of bad influence. Good people don't deserve that back.

This. It confuses and annoys me as well :gah:

As for the New Age thing...wtf? :lol: I can't really explain what that is, but I know U2 is not it.

The most annoying insults are the ones hurled at The Edge for his excessive use of effects pedals

Here's some I find on UG and Utube
"Take The Edge's effects away and watch him play something"
"He's nothing without effects, and you know I'm right"
"What happens when you take the effects away"
"The only thing Edge inspires me to do is to never buy any effects pedals"
"Watch It Might Get Loud and you'll see that [U2] are a small talent pop act with The Edge admitting he can't play for shit without effects"

I was just discussing that with Secretly Alone! Weird.:shifty::lol: You are so right about that! I am a guitar player who uses effects pedals excessively. I love the sounds they create and they are virtually impossible without them. The Edge has more sounds than most other guitar players. He's a brilliant guitarist who inspires others. His use of effects is otherworldly and just plain amazing!

This. It confuses and annoys me as well :gah:

As for the New Age thing...wtf? :lol: I can't really explain what that is, but I know U2 is not it.

I was kinda WTF about the New Age comment. U2 are basically Alternative, or were with AB, or Rock. New Age is Depeche Mode right?:reject:

I was just discussing that with Secretly Alone! Weird.:shifty::lol: You are so right about that! I am a guitar player who uses effects pedals excessively. I love the sounds they create and they are virtually impossible without them. The Edge has more sounds than most other guitar players. He's a brilliant guitarist who inspires others. His use of effects is otherworldly and just plain amazing!

I was kinda WTF about the New Age comment. U2 are basically Alternative, or were with AB, or Rock. New Age is Depeche Mode right?:reject:

Depeche Mode are New Wave :giggle:

The sooner you stop defending U2 to your friends/acquaintences, the sooner you can get on with your life. Start a blog about something niche, make some money from residuals, and buy that easy chair you always wanted.

See, don't you feel better?
icon34.gif

You all have probably heard this before and I get absolutely fucking ticked off at it!

"It's a U2 concert right and Bono says everytime I clap my hands a child in Africa dies. Some intelligent person in the audience stands up and says "Stop fucking clapping then!"

Thing is - I see this so often, but did it actually happen???

Same as the whole 'flying cowboy hat across the world' myth.... are they actually true, I'm sure I've seen both these stories discounted somewhere.

I stopped telling people I like U2 for most of the reasons stated in this thread. I just end up getting bullied/having to defend them for the most inane reasons. :|

I stopped telling people I like U2 for most of the reasons stated in this thread. I just end up getting bullied/having to defend them for the most inane reasons. :|

Its strange because if you say "U2 are one of the biggest bands in the world" people will argue with you that Jay-z or some other artist are more popular. I live in the NYC area and because Bon Jovi and Springsteen, who are from the area, can sell out 3 or more shows at Giants stadium, people around here think they must be the biggest artist around(the world revolves around NY to them). Wait until U2 goes to Australia and you can compare their sales/gross to Bon Jovi's recent trek down under....it will be laughable and god forbid you try to present them with facts, then your just a fan boy.

Just to add to my original list, I have been hearing more and more Bono referred to as "Bozo" and its so cheesy but people think they are being clever. Its like people either LOVE Bono or HATE him but there is no in between.

I know how you feel, I once had an argument with some guys on Facebook about U2 and he and his stupid friends could only come up with 'They're Gay
facepalm.gif
' (Sadly they are also the same age if not older than me). I was giving actual points about their impact of music and they would say "That makes them gay
facepalm.gif
".

And then one smart-arse said

"If I had a bullet for every non-u2 fan I would have 5,999,999 bullets, And if I had a meal for every U2 fan I'd starve"

If I had a bullet for any brain cell in a U2 hater I'd have 0 bullets.

Yeah clapping thing never happened. People think he's an asshole or whatever because he goes to Africa to HELP people. People always making fun of him. Since when is it bad to do something good?:huh: Okay I'll stop now.
I've just stopped trying to argue about this.

I've given up a while ago. It's not worth it, arguing with assholes till the cows come home.

Enjoy the muzak.

Quote: "Wannabe American, Irish narcissist, who reckons he has a God given right to preach at politicians about what's wrong with the world while hoarding his own obscene wealth where taxes can't touch him. Still peddles his bland, pompous, corporate music around the world, charging $100 a ticket so people can watch him disappear further up his own arse."

Meant to be humorous (I guess), but some of that is fair. U2, and Bono in particular, do pander to the American audience. That is beyond doubt. And Bono's business interests were partly moved abroad to avoid paying larger taxes. That's a fact. U2's music is corporate -- they're on a major label and refer to themselves as a "corporation". They do charge obscene prices for a inflated, all-frills live show -- the very opposite of what they spoke of valueing back in the 80s.

I do not know, however, if the recent back surgery allowed Bono to go up his own arse or not.

This is ridiculous, sorry.

None of that is fair.

1.)U2 and Bono's job is to sell their music. America is a big music consuming country and has a lot of influence in the world, in case you missed that. Reaching out to them is a good business practice, not pandering. They say and mean good things about nearly every place they play in.

Plus, coming to a country before you are super famous and widely loved and being outspoken about their very popular President Reagan is hardly pandering to it.

They do have a special relationship with America, and there is nothing wrong with that. The ideals of America, though not always put into practice, are worth respecting and emulating. They have inspired many. But as I said above, they hardly view America through rose colored glasses, they've been outspoken about some of the harsher realities of the US.

The implication here is somehow, America is cheap and bland in terms of overall music taste. Rock and Roll and its influencing genres started entirely in America.

2.)So what? They did what any international business would do. Its not like a majority of their royalties come from Ireland anyway. Ireland had no royalties tax before the change they avoided, so people are effectively complaining that Bono went from paying 0 in taxes to 20 million instead of 30 million.(I made up a number, but you get the idea). There was nothing morally wrong or hypocritical about that tax move.

U2 pays very high income and sales taxes in Ireland. I highly doubt any 4 individuals contribute more to the Irish tax base.

3.)So what? Artists are businesspeople, they sell their work. Of course its true, but its not a valid thing to criticize U2 over. U2 are the least hypocritical artists out there on that front as they don't babble on about how high and mighty and communist and anti capitalist they are while living in the lap of luxury. They admit they are capitalists, and they show through their actions(how they pay their crew, how they give back, what they advocate) that capitalism does not need to be exploitative.

4.)I just saw Roger Waters last night, The Wall tour, it was a pompous anti capitalist rant. People paid $350, $450, $500 for tickets. And he has about 20 musicians on stage with him, no other original Floyd members and sings about 45% of the time!

And you are here saying U2 has an overblown, all frills live show????????

You are saying they charge obscene prices? Try and find a U2 ticket for the prices I mentioned at Waters. Try and find a Police, Stones, Madonna, list goes on ticket for $30 or $55. It wont happen.

The frills have always been an enhancement to and not a substitute for the music. U2 is a better live band musically than any other band out there, whether its simple Vertigo/Elevation arena set or elaborate 360 stadium set.

Its not like they're Britney Spears or N-Sync using frills to cover up for lack of talent.

I am truly sorry, but this is one of the worst posts I've ever read here:down:

I've seen plenty of other posts you've written. You do realize that you are only about 500 times smarter than the internet urban dictionary moron who posted that drivel you just tried to legitimize, correct?

I mean, that was probably some fat loser sitting in his basement who listens to Nickelback!

Serious ^ :crack:

From a guy from my school.
"Liam Gallagher said they where crap, and Oasis is the best band in the world anyway"

And that was after they split up again.

This is ridiculous, sorry.

Thanks!

1.)U2 and Bono's job is to sell their music. America is a big music consuming country and has a lot of influence in the world, in case you missed that. Reaching out to them is a good business practice, not pandering. They say and mean good things about nearly every place they play in.

it's always going to be a fine line between how we perceive "saying good things" to people and "pandering". Obviously, from my perspective, I think U2 has gone too far from the "selling" to the "pandering". They do spend an inordinate amount of time (in my opinion) throwing themselves at the US market and doing everything possible to endear themselves. This made some sense in 1987, but today it sort of reeks of aging rockers trying to cling to their most lucrative and uncritical fanbase.

Plus, coming to a country before you are super famous and widely loved and being outspoken about their very popular President Reagan is hardly pandering to it.

That was in 1987. In the 2000s, Bono posed with George Bush and Jesse Helms, and he and Edge performed at the Obama inauguration. Bono is pictured on the cover of Time magazine performing with an American flag sown into his jacket.

They do have a special relationship with America, and there is nothing wrong with that. The ideals of America, though not always put into practice, are worth respecting and emulating. They have inspired many.

I agree they have a special relationship with the American audience. You seem to have interpreted my post as an anti-American swipe. It wasn't. As Bono once said, "I don't partake of the spanking of the Yank."

The implication here is somehow, America is cheap and bland in terms of overall music taste.

I'm baffled as to where you got that implication from...? Certainly not from my post.

2.)So what? They did what any international business would do.

So, "U2" to you should function as an "international business"? Pretty lofty ideals there...

U2 pays very high income and sales taxes in Ireland. I highly doubt any 4 individuals contribute more to the Irish tax base.

Again, it's our differing perspectives. I personally think that tax move was a really bad move, esp. with regards to their special situation in Ireland. (Not to mention it just makes Bono's humanitarian work look bad.) U2 is, of course, within all rights to do whatever the hell they want with their money. But in my opinion, that was an act in bad faith. It tainted them a bit for me.

3.)So what? Artists are businesspeople, they sell their work... ...They admit they are capitalists, and they show through their actions.

Again, I find your vision of the possibilites rather limiting. Yes, we all know (yawn) that U2 are signed to major labels and have obligations to market their music. In my opinion, however, they've recently crossed the line from hard-working band with a deserved international following to hard-working bad with a media profile obtained from corporate pandering.

4.)And you are here saying U2 has an overblown, all frills live show????????

Yes, I am. In 1987, even accounting for inflation, their live ticket was probably 25% what it is today, the show was just as big or bigger, and there were no frills on stage and no corporate sponsorship.

You are saying they charge obscene prices? Try and find a U2 ticket for the prices I mentioned at Waters. Try and find a Police, Stones, Madonna, list goes on ticket for $30 or $55. It wont happen.

If you can't beat 'em...

The frills have always been an enhancement to and not a substitute for the music. U2 is a better live band musically than any other band out there, whether its simple Vertigo/Elevation arena set or elaborate 360 stadium set.

Let me get this straight -- you're equating the "arena/stadium set" with "musically"? Musically, as I understand it, is based on the music that the musicians play, not based on the pixilation of the video screen.

I am truly sorry, but this is one of the worst posts I've ever read here:down:

I think my post was rather good, so your judgment has not offended me. I'll try to be a big boy and get over the hurt you've caused me...

I've seen plenty of other posts you've written. You do realize that you are only about 500 times smarter than the internet urban dictionary moron who posted that drivel you just tried to legitimize, correct?

Is it a compliment...?

Back
Top Bottom