TUF "Full" album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm genuinely confused by this post. Yes there are no instruments. Well, a synth in the background that is very subtle, and Bono's voice. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

What is there to be confused about? That is an instrument, that's like saying a song with only an acoustic guitar and a voice doesn't have any instruments.

What is there to be confused about? That is an instrument, that's like saying a song with only an acoustic guitar and a voice doesn't have any instruments.

Well yes lol literally it is an instrument. A voice is an instrument. But as I said, surely you knew what I meant. Replace "no" with "barely any" then.

And the acoustic guitar comment.... well to you it's like that. But to me it's not, it's way more subtle and "background" than that.

Last edited:
Love it - I'd just slot Yoshino Blossom between EPAA and MLK

I think the main issue with that is the tracklist already runs to 13 songs. EPAA is only there out of personal indulgence; for an actual release, if I were the band I'd pare it down to 12 by removing EPAA and using it as a b-side. Same for Yoshino Blossom and Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come.

And I agree that Disappearing Act is really a bit too jarring on a custom UF. Those vocals just don't sit alongside the rest of the material.

I'm glad some of you have liked the tracklist. Putting Pride at the end hasn't been too popular when I've shared that tracklist in the past, but I really think it works with MLK and gives the album a big, rousing conclusion. It also limits the problem of Pride sounding much more like a War-era track than the other material, and we know Pride is a great closer from its years of ending main sets live.

I'm genuinely confused by this post. Yes there are no instruments. Well, a synth in the background that is very subtle, and Bono's voice. I'm sure you knew what I meant.

"There are no instruments, except for the instrument that plays through the entire song." Gotcha.

"There are no instruments, except for the instrument that plays through the entire song." Gotcha.

That synth isn't exactly doing much, I don't know why I have to keep explaining myself on here, everyone seems to jump on me at every chance, my life is flipping dark as it is, I come here for pleasure and instead everyone is being so pedantic with my posts.

TUF "Full" album?

MLK is a good album closer in the style of U2 album closers from War on through to Pop and even NLOTH...these are denouement tracks...not really the meat of the album, but a nice mood song at the end. Usually slow, sparse, but moving. MLK is the most sparse of them, where voice is the primary instrument and the melody is really at the forefront. There is a pretty dramatic chord change harmonization with the synth ("so let it rain / rain down..."). I like the song...it's not my favorite on the record, but I definitely think it earns its place there.

Last edited:
That synth isn't exactly doing much, I don't know why I have to keep explaining myself on here, everyone seems to jump on me at every chance, my life is flipping dark as it is, I come here for pleasure and instead everyone is being so pedantic with my posts.

That's the state of these forums now. Unfortunately, some of the mods are "on board" with it and perpetuate the problem. If you fight back, you'll ultimately get scapegoated and banned.

So, gave Ax's alternative track listing a go...

I particularly like MLK into Pride as a closer. It works so thematically well and adds a better balance to the album, in that i reckon many less hardcore U2 fans would seldom visit the final quarter of the album proper.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well The Three Sunrises works at #2. On paper it didn't sit well with me, but it delivered a warm and cozy one-two punch before the more jarring and frantic Boomerang II and Wire double-shot.

This was also a good experiment in that it tests how essential you find excluded tracks to be. 4th of July might seem like a pretty listless instrumental and disposable, but I really struggled with it not featuring on this playlist. Bass Trap just doesn't seem an appropriate lead in to Bad (although maybe listening to the full version of Bass Trap is not really ideal).

My UF playlist

Does anyone agree with me that TUF just doesn't seem like a "full" U2 album?

Let me explain...

First of all, we do indeed have a bunch of U2 songs on there, ASOH, Pride, Wire, TUF, Bad, ISS. That's 6 of the 10 songs, and to me, they seem like the only 6 that actually feel like "full" u2 "songs".

Let's look at the other 4:

4th of July - Instrumental and very interludey (I do like it though)
MLK - Barely any instruments, and again seems like an interlude
EPAA - Just Bono singing over a backing track
Promenade - This one could be considered a full song, but to me it still seems interludey

Does anyone know what I mean here?

I'm not dissing the album. I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like an "album-album", if that makes any sense.

The addition of The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling would have fixed this however.

I'm late to this convo, sorry. I hear you, Jarvio. It is the thing I both love and hate about it. In once sense, I prefer the unfocused, experimental nature of it. On the other, I miss more songs. In the former way, it feels more 'cinematic' than any other U2 album. Like it's half soundtrack / half score. When I saw them on this tour, they would play 4th of July over the PA to open (not live, but to come out to) so I've always anchored that as an 'opener.' A cinematic opener.

However, over the years, I've compiled my own UF playlist. It looks something like this:

1. 4th of July
2. The Three Sunrises
3. A Sort of Homecoming
4. Pride (In The Name of Love)
5. Wire
6. Boomerang II

7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Love Comes Tumbling
9. Promenade
10. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come (interlude)
11. Bad
12. Indian Summer Sky
13. Bass Trap (interlude)
14. Elvis Presley and America
15. MLK

Before I'm drawn and quartered, yes, I know there are 15 tracks. But I see some of those as quick instrumental interludes (4th of July, Sixty Seconds, Bass Trap, etc).

I don't include Disappearing Act because, though the music is from this era, the vocals are not and since Bono sounds much different these days, I can't make the connection to this era (Does anyone know if there is an original demo from the 80s of DA / White City WITH vocals?).

Finally, if I could add another song in this beautiful fan fiction world - and hear me out - I'd add Clannad's "In A Lifetime" with Bono... because it's Bono from that era and, personally, I think he's near his vocal peak (for me)... and it's beautiful. But I know that's pushing it (and I'm in minority thinking he's at/near his vocal peak in this era). But then again, on MY "War" mix, I open with Clannad's "Harry's Game" (always remembering the opening of Live At Red Rocks.)

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom