Tower of Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkmoon72

The Fly
For all those who are ever worried about Bono's voice ....

When was the "Tower of Song" recorded?

I think that was 2006.

Holy crap. That might be the weakest I have ever heard it.

This is not a Bono's voice bashing thing. But, that was a very weak effort. And off of tour at that. What was up with that song?

I know a lot of talk goes on here about how his voice is. And he is stronger on "No Line" than he has been in years, I think, and he is doing well with all the live gigs recently ... but ...

It's been awhile since I've heard that... but it wasn't actually Bono singing, was it? If it is him... weird... because WITS itself was vocally amazing.

Bono doesn't do much singing on that, does he? Like one verse and some "oohs"? It's been a while since I've listened to the song.

I love that film and album, though. Some great performances there.

I honestly don't care about how his voice sounded then ... but it was pretty bad. It was only one verse and it was pretty horrible.

I am in the camp who worries about ... not bashes ... his voice.

I admire the emotion he puts into a song, and always hope that he can hold up. Somehow, he does, with a few exceptions.

I hated to even bring this up ... because I know how some folks will steer the convo. For some reason, I thought this song was from 1998, but it looks like it was in 2006 or 7.

Why are you worrying about his voice due to one verse, during a one take live recording session years ago?

That doesn't make much sense to me...

I know ... I shouldn't be.

Like I said, he has sounded strong recently. That's all that matters.

I just get nervous before each record and tour.

I think I know what you mean about his voice in this song, but I wonder how much of it was a choice he made? A little artistic license to sing a certain way as opposed to "his voice was crap"?

I actually have never seen this video. Bono playing the keyboard at the start was kinda funny. Some unintentional comedy there.

I'm also bummed because when I heard that Bono sang a song with Cohen I was stoked, but he sounded so weak on this that I felt let down.

Well, Cohen's voice is very unique. I don't think Bono belting out his lines would have worked here. Bono often blends his vocals with those he is singing with (which is a sign of a GOOD singer, by the way). If he belted out his verse, it would have sounded as out of place as Mary J. Blige over-singing and over-diva-ing "One".

What is "tower of song" ? I cant believe I have never heard of this :reject:

From a movie tribute to Leonard Cohen

It's also the B side on the Window in the Skies single. (one of them anyways)

I've never minded Bono's voice here. He's singing quieter, or softer and I actually kind of like when he sings like that. It sounds fine and suits the song.

(And Edge's guitar here is so pretty.)

I think Bono intentionally sang like this.

It was recorded during the Vertigo tour, his voice was fine then.

I don't think you can say much about the state of Bono's voice based on those few lines he's singing.

I think Bono intentionally sang like this.

It was recorded during the Vertigo tour, his voice was fine then.

I don't think you can say much about the state of Bono's voice based on those few lines he's singing.

I agree - I didn't really hear anything wrong with his voice. And given Cohen's deep whisper style of singing, Bono had to be more subdued to blend in. Plus, he sang a line - we all know that sometimes Bono might be a tad off at the start of a song, but great come the middle (especially if he's only singing one song).

Bono also recorded WITS around this time - and that sounds powerful.

I think I know what you mean about his voice in this song, but I wonder how much of it was a choice he made? A little artistic license to sing a certain way as opposed to "his voice was crap"?

that is NOT artistic freedom you are hearing here lol
my god he sounds like crap and the standing behind a keyboard look so out of place it looks like a parody of some karoakeband

hahaha

Concerning how bad he sounds here. I had the biggest hangover in my life ever in september 2005. Doesnt mean I still have a headache if you know what I mean. Nowadays he sounds pretty good for his age. Go Bono, go! :wink:

I agree it's not one of his better efforts, I just think he went for something different, and it wasn't an indication that his voice was shot. ;)

If he belted out his verse, it would have sounded as out of place as Mary J. Blige over-singing and over-diva-ing "One".

I don't mind Mary J. Blige, but I intentionally do not listen to this song because of that. You just can't outdo One as sang by the One, if you will. :). Though I applaud her for helping bring the song back into the spotlight.

He still didn't find what he was looking for? :hmm:

highfive.jpg

I love the song and that version of it. U2's instrumentation gives it something new and different, because it was recorded on Cohen's I'm Your Man album, which was largely made up of synths and drum machines. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I actually love '80s digital music. Just nice to have another version with Cohen actually on it. Bono sings beautifully too.

Back
Top Bottom