Top ten U2 songs of the decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Mercy
2. Fez-Being Born
3. Moment of Surrender
4. Kite
5. No line on the Horizon 2
6. Yahweh (Alt version)
7. The Ground beneath her Feet
8. Electrical Storm
9. When I look at the World
10. Levitate

11. Unknown caller
12. COBL

Thnaks for voting everyone!! While I'm adding up the winners I think we need a minute silence for the following songs that didn't even rate one mention in anyone's list (there could be more but I'm mostly just counting ones off the albums.)

* The saints are coming
* Stand up comedy
* Love and peace or else
* All because of you
* Elevation

(Interesting how four out of five of these are singles.)

Ok so the final tally looked like this....

1. Moment of surrender 210
2. Beautiful Day 179
3. Magnificent 160
4. Kite 125
5. City of blinding lights 119
6. Electrical storm 103
7. Walk on 101
8. Fez 88
9. Unknown caller 84
10. The ground beneath her feet 81

Most popular album according to highest rated songs? NLOTH with four songs in the top ten

I love that people are slowly starting to see the light on Magnificent. 6 or 7 months ago, when the silly new album buzz was still lingering, that shit would have easily been in first place in this tally.

1. Moment Of Surrender

No order:

Unknown Caller
Breathe
No Line On The Horizon 2
Cedars Of Lebanon
Original Of The Species
Fast Cars
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Kite
Magnificent

Ok so the final tally looked like this....

1. Moment of surrender 210
2. Beautiful Day 179
3. Magnificent 160
4. Kite 125
5. City of blinding lights 119
6. Electrical storm 103
7. Walk on 101
8. Fez 88
9. Unknown caller 84
10. The ground beneath her feet 81

Most popular album according to highest rated songs? NLOTH with four songs in the top ten

If that's the final result, I do like it, except for maybe one or two songs.. Btw, if you consider TGBHF..then ATYCLB also is with four songs in the top ten.

I thought you were an avid COBL fan.

I was back in 2004-05 ... I guess times have changes and I don't feel it like I did. Definitely not the studio version.

No When I Look at the World, Axver?

That's still my favourite from the regular version of ATYCLB, but I don't think it quite matches up to the songs I've named. And I've never really liked the very start, even if the rest stands out from the ATYCLB quagmire.

1. Moment of Surrender
2. Unknown Caller
3. Window In The Skies
4. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
5. Cedars Of Lebanon
6. Magnificent
7. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
8. Original Of The Species (Single Version)
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Stateless

Based on how well the songs charted on the US Modern Rock chart (which is what I listen to most):

1. Vertigo
2. Beautiful Day
3. Get on Your Boots
4. All Because of You
5. Elevation
6. Walk On
7. Electrical Storm
8. Magnificent
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
10. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

11. Window in the Skies
12. Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of

:ohmy: I'm surprised MOS wins it so easily. I knew a lot of people liked it here but I didn't think that many people liked it.

this is tough. i thought it would be easy to seperate 10. this has made me realize how much i really like this decade. i still prefer the 90's, of course. :wink:

1. Moment Of Surrender
2. Beautiful Day
3. City Of Blinding Lights
4. Fez - Being Born
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Electrical Storm
7. Kite
8. Unknown Caller
9. Original Of The Species
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Honorable Mentions: When I Look At The World, Magnificent, Vertigo, Mercy, Walk On, Get On Your Boots, Winter

Jeeze. The year 2000 was the 2000th year of the millenium. The year 2010 is the 10th year of the decade...the AD numbering scheme began with the year 1 AD, not the year 0 AD. We are not considering the numbering scheme before that, only the calendar we live with now. Quite simply, the common misperception that 2009 is the last year of the decade (or 1999, or 1989, etc) is a misunderstanding of the general public of how the calendar works. There was even an entire Seinfeld episode about that (though Seinfeld isn't science or history). Anyway, historically, it is a fact that the 10th year of any decade corresponds to the 10th number. 2010 is the tenth and final year of this decade. Therefore, if U2 does manage to put out a new album by June of 2010, it is possible that some of those tunes may make our own subjective "best of the decade" list.

Not that I'm trying to make a point or anything :wink:

My own list for the decade thus far (not counting 2010) is:

1. Beautiful Day (or was that 2000? if so, it wouldn't count. I'll play along anyway).
2. Kite
3. Walk On
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Original of the Species
6. No Line on the Horizon
7. Magnificent
8. Moment of Surrender
9. Fez-Being Born
10. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (maybe pre-2001?)

Jeeze. The year 2000 was the 2000th year of the millenium. The year 2010 is the 10th year of the decade...the AD numbering scheme began with the year 1 AD, not the year 0 AD. We are not considering the numbering scheme before that, only the calendar we live with now. Quite simply, the common misperception that 2009 is the last year of the decade (or 1999, or 1989, etc) is a misunderstanding of the general public of how the calendar works. There was even an entire Seinfeld episode about that (though Seinfeld isn't science or history). Anyway, historically, it is a fact that the 10th year of any decade corresponds to the 10th number. 2010 is the tenth and final year of this decade. Therefore, if U2 does manage to put out a new album by June of 2010, it is possible that some of those tunes may make our own subjective "best of the decade" list.
a decade is ten years. any ten years. 1992-2002 is a decade. l don't see what the big deal is. :shrug: it's like the argument about 0.99999999999 being equal to 1. some say it is, some say it isn't, neither side is explicitly wrong, technically.

a decade is ten years. any ten years. 1992-2002 is a decade. l don't see what the big deal is. :shrug: it's like the argument about 0.99999999999 being equal to 1. some say it is, some say it isn't, neither side is explicitly wrong, technically.

And most importantly, it doesn't matter.

1- Walk On
2- Kite
3- Moment of Surrender
4- Magnificent
5- City of Blinding Lights
6- Ground Beneath Her Feet
7- Crumbs From Your Table
8- Miracle Drug
9- Fez-Being Born
10- Electrical Storm

a decade is ten years. any ten years. 1992-2002 is a decade.

Right, except 1992-2002 is 11 years.

I refute this idea that "we started counting at year 1 AD so we have to make -10 the end of the decade". Yes, there never was a year zero, but, just as obviously, nobody started counting at 1 AD; they didn't start using the A.D. Gregorian / Julian calendar until the 6th century, more than 500 years after the death of Christ. Again, it's all relative and academic. If popular perception pits 2009 as the end, then so be it.

This thread has actually got me thinking about whether the 90s or the 00s is a better U2 decade. Each has three studio albums proper (I don't count Passengers and yes, I'm putting ALYCLB in the 00s!). While Achtung Baby is five times better than anything they've put out since it, I personally like ATYLB and HTDAAB as much or more than Zooropa or Pop.

Hmm... maybe this should be a new thread....

Only 10 is too hard:

ATYCLB
01) Kite
02) In A Little While
03) When I Look At The World
04) Walk On

HTDAAB
05) Miracle Drug
06) City Of Blinding Lights
07) Original Of The Species
08) Yahweh
09) Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

NLOTH
09) Unknown Caller
10) Crazy Tonight
11) Moment Of Surrender
12) Breathe
13) Stand Up Comedy

Others
14) Mercy
15) Winter
16) Summer Rain
17) Flower Child
18) Electrical Storm
19) Window In The Skies
20) The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Nonsense. Of course ATYCLB is more like Pop than Bomb.

I was referring to the release date. ATYCLB was released in late 2000, so I count as being in the decade of the 2000s.

(Out of curiosity, are you as bitchy in real life as you are on this forum?)

I was referring to the release date. ATYCLB was released in late 2000, so I count as being in the decade of the 2000s.

(Out of curiosity, are you as bitchy in real life as you are on this forum?)

Yes I am, but I was actually kidding in that post.

Kinda tough, but what the hell. I'll give it a go...

10) In a Little While
9) Cedars of Lebanon
8) Magnificent
7) Walk On
6) No Line on the Horizon
5) Stuck in a Moment
4) Kite
3) City of Blinding Lights
2) Beautiful Day
1) Moment of Surrender

More or less, I suppose. The order, outside of the top 4, I have no idea...

Magnificient
No Line On The Horizon 2 (IF THIS WAS 1ST SINGLE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BIG HIT)
Electrical Storm
The ground Beneath Her Feet
Fast Cars
Cedars Of Lebanon
Breathe
City Of Blinding Lights
Window in the Skies
Beautiful Day

1.)Moment of Surrender
2.)Kite
3.)Electrical Storm
4.)No Line On The Horizon
5.)Magnificent
6.)Breathe
7.)City of Blinding Lights
8.)Beautiful Day(maybe OOTS should be here, but BD got them huge again, which was far from a foregone conclusion@the time, so I have to include it)
9.)Walk On
10.)Vertigo

These were cut due to lack of space:
OOTS(Love this, maybe my heart says BD as it made U2 the band of the 00s and the biggest band in the world again and led to my looking into them further, but my head says Original is more deserving, sorry! Have to let the heart win here, though!)
Sometimes
Love and Peace
Crumbs(Yes, I love this song, sorry!)
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Levitate
In A Little While

This is approximate I guess. The closest thing to a pattern here is that, absent a brilliant NLOTH, Bomb would have done alot better than ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom