Top Ten Lyrics for a U2 Song(excluding One)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunsnroses

The Fly
Iam sure this has been done before but iam fairly new here so what the fuck. One cannot be included for obvious reasons.

1. Staring at the Sun
2. Stuck in a Moment
3. So Cruel
4. Man and a Woman
5. Who Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
6. Iam Gonna Go Crazy if i dont go Crazy Tonight
7. Until The End of the World
8. When I look at the World
9. Vertigo
10. I Still Havent Found what Iam looking For

You like what you like. :shrug:

A lot of people would challenge One's automatic leadership.

1. One Tree Hill
2. Stay
3. Lemon
4. Streets
5. Running to Stand Still
6. Promenade
7. Moment of Surrender
8. Heartland
9. Unforgettable Fire
10. Please

ehh...I don't know...these songs immediately come to me but this is really too difficult to do without careful consideration...and I'm feeling pretty lazy right now :shrug:

There are a whole load of U2 songs that would EASILY beat One lyrically.

Lets see, Lemon, Please, Stay, Mofo, One Tree Hill, A Sort of Homecoming. And this is just me being lazy.

I guess, you're being new here, you probably don't understand how sick almost all of us are of One. Yes, it used to be a great song. But now? It's U2's Stairway to Heaven.......

It's not our song anymore... it belongs to the great unwashed world now........

Yeah, why is One excluded?

Maybe you really are Axl Rose :hmm: wasn't he obsessed with 'One'?

Great thread idea, I don't think it's been done before...

In no order:

UTEOTW
MOS
RTSS
ISHFWILF
OTH
LT
Acrobat
Kite(I try and forget about the "when hip hop drove the big cars" outro...
Wanderer
Gone

I would include One in my list, but a lot of people wouldn't. And it wouldn't be in first place for me; that honor belongs to Lemon.

Heartland, Promenade, The Unforgettable Fire, Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Acrobat, A Sort Of Homecoming, Like A Song, With Or Without You, Lemon.

I guess, you're being new here, you probably don't understand how sick almost all of us are of One. Yes, it used to be a great song. But now? It's U2's Stairway to Heaven.......

It's not our song anymore... it belongs to the great unwashed world now........

whaaaa? Being sick of a song doesn't mean it "used to be a great song"....that doesn't really make much sense...you can be sick of a song, but to say it is somehow lesser of a song now than before is rather senseless. A lot of people here are sick of One, but I don't think they would say it used to be a great song...it's just a matter of being tired of it. On that note, sometimes I think after hearing a song like One over and over, it's easy to just let it play through without really listening to it...but if you actually listen to it as if you were hearing it for the first time, you realize why you got hooked on it in the first place...it's a fucking brilliant song with an incredible melody. :heart:

bad
running to standstill
stay
city of blinding lights
so cruel
heartland
if god will send his angels
kite
one tree hill
sunday bloody sunday

No particular order ...

Dirty Day - Should be in the top five of everybody and anybody, in my opinion. Bono is not often this poetic while at the same time being so economical and clear in his meaning. I mean, I get why some people would say something like "A Sort of Homecoming," but a lot of the lyrics in that song boil down to college-aged-kid-wannabe poet-mumbo-jumbo - as Bono himself has more or less admitted.

Wake Up Dead Man - I greatly appreciate that a Christian (I am not one myself) has written such an eloquent set of words about the abscence of God and the so-called "problem of evil." In fact, this seems to me to be the major theme of "Pop," which is remarkable in and of itself for a supposedly "Christian rock band."

Other hilights for me ...

Lemon
One Tree Hill
The Fly
Moment of Surrender
Kite
So Cruel
Until the End of the World

Shit, Bono has many a great fucking lyric (if also some crappy ones). All in all, I think he's superb, and definitely not given enough credit as a lyricist.

Iam sure this has been done before but iam fairly new here so what the fuck. One cannot be included for obvious reasons.

I feel the same as Digitize on this one: I would have to include One in my top 10, the lyrics are brilliant, but I feel there are better U2 lyrics out there (i.e. Lemon), and just because it's the most popular U2 song doesn't mean it's the best.

3. So Cruel

But I agree so much with this choice. So Cruel contains maybe the best lyrics on Achtung Baby entirely, I prefer it to One. (Not as a song, but as a lyric)

I thought of So Cruel pretty much instantly.

Bad, Lemon, UTEOTW, Love is Blindness, Acrobat, Mofo... there's so many songs that deserve a mention.

One isn't one of them, just sayin'.

I've never liked So Cruel and think it's one of the most over-rated songs and one of the weakest songs on AB. I love One and I still find the lyrics very haunting and touching, but I agree with those who say that One shouldn't be sacrosanct. Of course there are better lyrics out there. I love many of the NLOTH lyrics and think they are totally up there with One.

My picks, given the complete lack of criteria for evaluating the top ten...:

Until the End of the World
Acrobat
So Cruel
Stay
Mothers of the Disappeared
God Part II
Peace on Earth
Gone
Yahweh
Moment of Surrender

The Scientist, is that you?

Now that you have this covered...

A Sort Of Homecoming
I Still Have Not Found That Which I Was Looking 4
Running To Stand Still
In God's Country
All I Want Is You
Until The End Of The World
So Cruel
Stay
The Wanderer
Wake Up Dead Man

90s > 00s

Running To Stand Still

This.

Definitely my fave lyric.

One Tree Hill, So Cruel, Who's Gonna Ride, A Sort of Homecoming have some wonderful poetry in them as well. And others, of course. I love the lyrics throughout most of Pop. I feel Bono was hitting on a lot of lyrical territory that he hadn't before, or maybe he was just hitting those places in fresh ways. I don't know.

Acrobat
When I Look at the World
Please
Running to Stand Still
Window in the Skies
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Dirty Day
Stay
Where the Streets Have No Name
With or Without You
MOS

There are few, for sure. But Running to stand still and Moment of surrender are couple of my favourites.

Unforgettable Fire,
Please,
Until the End of the World,
Sunday Bloody Sunday,
October,
Acrobat,
The Fly,
Red Hill Mining Town,
Bad,
Where the Streets Have No Name

Back
Top Bottom