Tonight: U2 interview NOVA (Dutch Television)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shit I just saw that message, did I miss the U2 part?? It's now something about a romantic comedy or so..
HAHA great timing! :hyper: U2's up now

:lmao: Bono pronouncing Tornhout-Werchter.

Good news though, Bono promised that they're coming to Belgium!

NOVA (Dutch Television) item on U2 and NLOTH

Tonight, Dutch current affairs programme 'Nova' had an extensive item on our favourite four Irishmen. It was taped on location in Fez, last week.

A lot of the item centred on the creation of NLOTH and (of course) Bono's humanitarian work. There were interviews with Bono+Adam, as well as short questions asked to Edge+Larry. Subjects were the decrease in humanitarian aid because of the credit crunch as well as a small item on the infamous Beach Clips, taped by a Dutchman.

The complete item is not (yet) available online, but the 20 mins. interviews with Bono and Adam and Edge and Larry are.

You can view them at the following website:
NOVA - detail - Uitzendingen
Player omroep.nl

An interesting part of the item was a very short bit with Alex Courtes, while directing the 'Magnificent' video in Fez. A part of the town is completely covered by linen (a la performance artist Christo), which is slowly pulled back to reveal the buildings underneath. I am curious to see how this will pan out in the completed video!

An account of the interview has been posted on the Nova website (in Dutch). As it is too long for me to translate right now, I hereby post the (grammatically very-incorrect) Google translation:

Rudy Bouma - U2
23 MAR 09 - By Rudy Bouma
A - Netherlands - exclusive interview with U2, you will not every day. Twenty minutes with Bono and bassist Adam Clayton. Same with drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and guitarist The Edge.

It is many years since the band some extensive interview with Dutch television said. But all these years, NOVA-editor Hans Kema called the record company, and the persistence wins.

U2 is 33 years - in the same format - with each other, unique in the rock world. Their 12th album 'No Line on the horizon' was recently in a day, platinum and the two concerts in the Amsterdam Arena in July were sold out in ten minutes.

Political Conscience
But importantly, U2 as the political conscience of rock music. Singer Bono fights with his organization DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa), ONE and product Red against AIDS and for the cancellation of debt in Africa. Three times he was nominated for the Nobel Prize for Peace. But there is also criticism. All development would be corrupt and subject to Africa. And why has a more rock influence than African leaders?

All grounds for an interview.

Fez
There is one complication: the interview should take place three days later in the Moroccan royal city of Fez where the band the video for their single 'Magnificent' record. U2 is a band with Fez: the clip of 'Mysterious Ways' was the early nineties included Anton Corbijn photographed, the cover of their current album' Achtung Baby ', and different numbers of the new album were composed.

NOVA journalists refuse - because of their journalistic independence - to travel to pay the record, unlike most other interviewers. It is therefore our tickets and hotel costs. After vetches and roads cut the knot by the chief. U2 journalism is relevant and it is an opportunity we can not shoot.

After three flights we arrived Thursday night in the ancient city. The next morning Hans walk (a walking encyclopedia U2) and I by our questionnaire. We certainly delete half of our questions. The interview will show that the remaining questions again third necessarily fall demands.

Nervous
Noon. I cast a jealous eye on the beautiful hotel where the band and all foreign journalists stay, which some of fêteren by the record. Now that we soon will be the turn for our interview. Slightly nervous gaze I am still a blank in my questionnaire and prick a road salad on the terrace. In addition we are passionate, with tables out. We look surprised at our neighbors, Bono, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen and the Edge.

Inspection
Time to inspect the set. I want a different camera setting, with the second camera on the artists rather than myself. The British team that shows a bunch of gawky centuries seem to have needed to build a new interview setting.

If Larry and The Edge arrive shows the sound still not work. The U2 Assistant becomes good in the stress. Larry and Edge are again removed to a Swedish radio interviewer that there is absolutely ready for it.

Naively?
We wait another hour and may then suddenly to the suite of Bono and Adam Clayton. The two guys who seem sympathetic despite the entourage stressed the time for us to take. I check to Bono the story that my uncle always tells him birthday: more than 20 years ago, during a flight to the U.S. side in the business class. My uncle asked the man next to him Saturday as he did for work which he replied that he singer in a band called U2 was. Naive my uncle asked if he could live there do.

Credit Crisis
The conversation is good. Our unrest that Bono only about his new CD would like to talk or that Adam has made deficit would show because of our political and social questions incorrectly. Bono elaborates on the credit crisis, development aid and give some advice Balkenende. When the twenty minutes are over, he congratulated me on 'the great conversation "... .. or would he do that all interviewers?

The conversation - 3 hours after the failed first attempt - with Larry and the Edge is straw ever. The men have a long day of video recordings and interviews behind. I am too shaken on a platform that the camera does vibrate at each movement. But more than enough to tell a good NOVA-report them.

Puff
At night we blast in downtown Fez. We dine with an American couple that I last year on holiday in Marrakech have met. They run after years of restoration a beautiful 'riad in the medina of Fez, an exclusive bed and breakfast with 5 suites. My friends tell how the night before in a restaurant during a birthday dinner also saw the band suddenly join. The delighted U2 fans even got a glass of champagne offered by the band. The rest of the visitors, Moroccans had no idea who the Western visitors. U2? Never heard of ...

White sheets
The next day make my own street shots in the old city. After a few hours market merchants, poultry slaughterers, tanners and heavy bepakte donkeys filmed to see how a rose at all is packed with white sheets, we are unexpectedly on the latest recordings of the video of U2's' Magnificent 'interrupted . The 'robbery' clip director verklapt us the punch line of the clip and I can from a roof just the filming of the last insert shot 'capture.

That should celebrate with a camel citizen!

As soon as the complete programma is put online, I will post the links to see it. Most of it is in Dutch, though. However, there was a very nice use of NLOTH music and U2.com videos.
:wave:

yup, it's the full interview with Edge and Larry of which an extract was used in the Nova item

:D

Well during the TV program only parts of the interview were used.

This is the full 20 min.interview with Bono&Adam:
Bono&Adam

And this is the full 13 min.interview with Larry&Edge:
Larry&Edge

And here the TV program. U2 is from minute 18, including some shots on the set of the new video:
NOVAtv

maybe the title of this thread should be edited so that people will know the interviews can be found in here :hmm:

Well during the TV program only parts of the interview were used.

This is the full 20 min.interview with Bono&Adam:
Bono&Adam

And this is the full 13 min.interview with Larry&Edge:
Larry&Edge

And here the TV program. U2 is from minute 18, including some shots on the set of the new video:
NOVAtv

Is there any way to get a download of the third one? None of my browsers will play it and I can't install anything on my machine because it will screw the whole thing up. (long story). Help.

Dana

Is there any way to get a download of the third one? None of my browsers will play it and I can't install anything on my machine because it will screw the whole thing up. (long story). Help.

Dana

I uploaded the programme for you. You can download it here: www. m e g a u p l o a d .com/?d=W25RQA6L

Seriously, how does Larry do it? The guy is 47-and-a-half, and looks 30. He looks younger this time around than he did on Atomic Bomb. He's like the picture of Dorian Gray.

Back
Top Bottom